belarus1

International travel before GC?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Is it possible to travel to the EU before one has gotten thier greencard? I would like to take my wife to Germany in November but Im not sure if its possible. She just got back from visiting in Belarus and didnt have any trouble getting back in through US customs. She obviously has the Advanced Parol document but is that enough for the EU too?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Is it possible to travel to the EU before one has gotten thier greencard? I would like to take my wife to Germany in November but Im not sure if its possible. She just got back from visiting in Belarus and didnt have any trouble getting back in through US customs. She obviously has the Advanced Parol document but is that enough for the EU too?

Yes and no. The AP only allows re-entry back into the US; it doesn't do diddly for entry into another country.

See the country-specific tourist visa requirements for residents travelling from the US.

Also it is suggested that one brings a copy of their NOA1 for the AOS and a copy of your marriage cert; just in case.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The AP is a document to get her back to the US, it does not get her into anywhere else. Her passport got her IN to Belarus. It will not get her IN to Germany. She would need a visa to go to Germany. If she is not a US permanent resident it will be more difficult to obtain.

For example, Alla got her AP about a week before her green card. We opened it up and jumped in the car to drive to IKEA..in Quebec. Canada. We were summarily turned back at the border as she had no document to ENTER Canada and they were not the least bit impressed with an AP. On the other hand, she gets her green card a week later and is welcome to go to Canada anytime she wants with just her green card, doesn't even need a passport. Such a difference the green card makes.

She will have no trouble getting a visa to Germany (or other EU country) once she has her green card, until then...try and hope for the best.

FWIW, the German consulate in Boston (and I am sure in other cities) will issue a visa the same day if you come to the consulate (no appointment needed) between 9am and 12 noon Monday-Friday. So if she gets her green card in October, you can still get a visa for November. If you do it by mail, it can take several weeks.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, thats kind of what I thought. We would need to get a visa and unfortunately Germany treats those from Belarus about as well as the US does :angry:

I dont know whats taking the GC so long, the paperwork was transfered to the CSC back in June. Seems like a lot of others with the same timeline have already gotten the GC. Our case still shows under "initial review." Ah, the wait continues... :hehe:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, thats kind of what I thought. We would need to get a visa and unfortunately Germany treats those from Belarus about as well as the US does :angry:

I dont know whats taking the GC so long, the paperwork was transfered to the CSC back in June. Seems like a lot of others with the same timeline have already gotten the GC. Our case still shows under "initial review." Ah, the wait continues... :hehe:

Maybe our timeline will be a better help in your planning.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.