Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Brit seeking immigration advice

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys

I am a UK citizen (from Cornwall to be precise) looking to work and live in the states for an extended period of time or, initially, 3 to 6 months. I have a degree in Archaeology and Masters in Landscape Archaeology. I have specialist training in Geographical Information Systems, Geophysical Prospection and Total Station / surveying work. I have also had digging experience abroad in Greece, as well as the usual office work.

My understanding is I would be best coming in on H-1B or H3 visa if working. I have also been told a PhD would be a good idea but I would not know where to begin regarding funding, which I would need. If I went down the education route I would find the idea of studying something fresh like Mayan culture or something Meso- American related extremely appealing. Anyway I digress.

If there is anyone working in Cultural Resource Management or any profession looking to sponsor a British graduate from Bristol University I’m your man.

I really am keen to get out of the UK and broaden my horizons. I really like the states too.

Any advice gratefully received.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! VisaJourney's area of "expertise," if you will, is marriage- and family-based visas. Very few of our members could advise you adequately on getting a work-based visa.

I would recommend you try www.britishexpats.com or www.diveintoamerica.com as both are tailored towards advising Brits on how to work through many different immigration processes, including work visas. Good luck. :)

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales


You can also try posting in the immigration of visa forum.

To put it bleakly your chances outside of the Educational environment are slim to nil, especially with such a specialism.

Many years ago when I had a trainee under my wings who had a Ist from Cambridge in Archaeology, trouble is there are many more graduates than paid positions. Very few can obtain paid employment in ther specialism.

If you can afford it your best bet I would expect would be to continue your education at a US Uni and then try for a year OPT with hopefully a full time job deriving from it.

Does your Uni have any tie ins with US Uni's that you could leverage?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...