saj102965

Necessity of Full Version of Birth Certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

If I used the certified copy of my birth certificate would that be sufficient?

Timeline:

9-18-2010 - Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

9-20-2010 - Package arrived confirmation USPS

9-24-2010 - Received txt message and email for I-797

9-27-2010 - Received NOA1 for I-131, I-130, I-765 and I-485

9-27-2010 - Checks cashed

10-4-2010 - Received biometric appt. (10-28-10)

10-15-2010 - Touched

10-20-2010 - RFE Notice Sent via email on I-485 (Bummer)

10-25-2010 - Recevied RFE

10-26-2010 - Send evidence

10-27-2010 - Evidenced signed for in response to RFE

10-28-2010 - Appear for Biometrics

10-28-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched

10-29-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched again

11-1-10 - rec.email regarding continued processing of I-485

11-12-2010 - Received call from congresswoman's office stating they were contacting USCIS to expedite EAD

11-15-210 - Received call from congresswoman's office confirming request to expedite approved and EAD will be adjudicated in 7 business days and should received card 10 days after that. Also the I-485 has been moved to the next step to schedule interview too. Yeah - so happy!!!

11-19-2010 - Received email AP approved and EAD card in production.

11-19-2010 - Received interview letter - appt scheduled on 12-21-2010. :)

11-22-2010 - Received AP in mail

11-26-2010 - Received EAD in mail (Went on 11-29-10 for job interview and start on 12-6-10)

12-21-2010 - Went on Interview and was APPROVED!!!

You can send a certified copy of your birth certificate with your application (or a regular copy), but you will need to have the original for the interview.

Edited by Betti

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

While I have not submitted my AOS package yet, I believe a certified copy will be fine. Just to be clear, the copy has to be certified by the government agency that issued the original birth certificate.

I was born in Ontario, Canada and my original long form birth certificate has long gone missing. I recently tried to order a new copy of my birth certificate for my AOS but all they issue now are certified copies of the original. Aside from the actual original that was issued to my parents, all they keep on file is an electronic copy which they print and certify to send to those that request it.

So, long story short, the only "original" birth certificate is issued when you are born. If you order a new copy, it will more than likely be a certified copy, which is still a government issued legal document.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

All I submitted with my application was color photocopies (both sides) of my creditcard size birth certificate, not the long version. It's not signed or certified.

It's the same one that can be seen here for Canadians.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sksaskat/Saskatoon/birthnewer.gif

I brought that, along with my birth registration card to my interview but they never asked to see them.

Edited by Starburst

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

All I submitted with my application was color photocopies (both sides) of my creditcard size birth certificate, not the long version. It's not signed or certified.

It's the same one that can be seen here for Canadians.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sksaskat/Saskatoon/birthnewer.gif

I brought that, along with my birth registration card to my interview but they never asked to see them.

I have a card-sized birth certificate from Manitoba that looks just like that link. My sister said that they have only recently started issuing larger ones with pareñts names. Has anyone had an issue with this in their interview? I don't know what to do to satisfy the consulate's requirement.

Filed: Timeline

I have a card-sized birth certificate from Manitoba that looks just like that link. My sister said that they have only recently started issuing larger ones with pareñts names. Has anyone had an issue with this in their interview? I don't know what to do to satisfy the consulate's requirement.

Ok, I will answer my own question for the sake of everyone who might have the same question in the future. I emailed the US Consulate in Vancouver and here is their response:

Hello,

Wallet/card size birth certificates are not acceptable for visa purposes. You must provide long form birth certificate showing your parents name on the day of interview.

· Manitoba: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies from the Vital Statistics Agency in Winnipeg (254 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, 204-945-3701 ). Further information, including mail-order instructions, is available on line http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/.

Thank you.

K Visa Unit

Vancouver, BC

There you have it. Straight from the horses mouth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.