jrmejia

Learning my fiancee 's culture

153 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's some things that just throw me off:

He for she and her for him - bloody hell, I understand why she does it but please make it stop!

VERBS - to her, past, present and future tense verbs are interchangeable. Example: "He eat it all."

Location adverbs - in, on, under, near, below, around - she rarely ever gets these right. Example: "My keys are on my purse."

Telling me where something is - Example: "Honey, do you know where the flashlight is?" Her answer: "It's just there!"

Edited by El Buscador

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Location adverbs? You mean prepositions? :lol:

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

What about pointing to something and they use their lips instead of thier fingers....

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

[

Telling me where something is - Example: "Honey, do you know where the flashlight is?" Her answer: "It's just there!"

That one is kind of funny :)

But we love and respect them. :)(L)

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She knows he vs she but she keeps calling her bro 'she ' and her sister 'he'. I just alert her with a smile..and she goes *oopppss*.

Yes we get a little confused sometimes what to use specially the "his/her" thing that you're talking about. For example"his mom" or "her dad" we get all mixed up to whom we are addressing to, when it is male to female or vice versa. So it's better to mention the name of the person to avoid confusion.. like "Pedro's mom" or "Maria's dad" maybe? tongue.gif

There so many other things you would discover, we don't usually used knife when we are eating.. Some Filipina's don't like using dishwasher and prefer hand wash because they believe it's more clean.

Sometimes it's hard for us to refuse when being invited or offered something good we can't just say "no' straightforward.

Maybe other members here have some more views to share.. You have to read more of the Filipino culture so you'll get to know more about her beliefs and understand her... cool.gif

Adjustment of Status

May 4, 2010 - Date Filed I-485,I-765,I-131

May 11, 2010 - NOA for I-485,I-765,I-131 May 17, 2010 - Biometrics appointment received in the mail

May 24, 2010 - Walk-in Biometrics successful (ASC Michigan City, IN)

June 1, 2010 - Case transferred to CSC

July 14, 2010 - EAD approved, for card production

July 19, 2010 - Received AP in the mail

July 21, 2010 - I-485 GC approved, for card production

July 26, 2010 - Welcome letter received

July 28, 2010 - EAD card received

July 31, 2010 - Greencard received

Removal of Conditions

May 7, 2012 - Date Filed I-751

May 9, 2012 - Date of NOA!

June 8, 2012 - Biometrics Schedule

Timeline

Yes we get a little confused sometimes what to use specially the "his/her" thing that you're talking about. For example"his mom" or "her dad" we get all mixed up to whom we are addressing to, when it is male to female or vice versa. So it's better to mention the name of the person to avoid confusion.. like "Pedro's mom" or "Maria's dad" maybe? tongue.gif

There so many other things you would discover, we don't usually used knife when we are eating.. Some Filipina's don't like using dishwasher and prefer hand wash because they believe it's more clean.

Sometimes it's hard for us to refuse when being invited or offered something good we can't just say "no' straightforward.

Maybe other members here have some more views to share.. You have to read more of the Filipino culture so you'll get to know more about her beliefs and understand her... cool.gif

My has very good etiquette. She is very formal at the dinning table. Well, I noticed when we spent so much time on my trip to see her. It is some of the words she uses that I find it so so so so cute. I adore her and can not wait to see her here.

Oppss..come to think about. I cannot use the phrase " i can't wait " she will say..why you can not wait???... I usually say "I can't wait" when I am very excited about something and want to see result pronto. :):bonk:

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all, I enjoy reading some of your comments and experiences with Filipino culture and English culture interactions. There will, no doubt, be a lot for me to learn as well since my 'to be' wife is a filipina. I am curious, does your filipina trim your nails and cut the food on your plate? I found this to be unusual as I have never experienced it before. I think it is sweet.

I also notice the language usage difference as well. The pronunciation of the vowels throws me off too. - Dave

My wife always goes uh-uh when she means yes. She also switch's pro nouns a lot. What is weird is she only does it when speaking, never in her writing. When she tries to teach me words in Cebuano or Tagalog I always mess them up enough that they come sounding like dirty words.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Here is another great thing (If Your Male) in PI.

You can bag as many girls as your heart desires. You can get 10 girls a year pregnant, and you don't have to take responsibility for any kids

maybe a reason for the fvcked up law. :whistle:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Sexist post and a post quoting it removed. Any other comment of a similar nature by the same poster will result in that poster being banned from this thread.

Edited by Pinay Wife

Timeline

The way we avoid trouble is by speaking in complete sentences. My wife was very lazy about communication with a lot of one-word responses or even just grunts. The OP asked his filipina a poorly worded question where the opportunity for "yes/no" confusion was high. I wasn't doing that. Even in cases where I specifically structured questions to avoid that my wife seemed to be able to make ambiguous responses. Clarity of communication just wasn't important to her. You find that in a lot of third world countries with lower education, poverty, and nothing to do with their time.

But if the response is "Yes, I do not have enough money to go to the movies" or "No, I do not have enough money to go to the movies" then the complete sentence ensures there is no misunderstanding.

It might be cute in the beginning but a 24/7 communication problem where you can't even figure out what "yes" or "no" means quickly devolves into resentment and not communicating at all.

Personally, I found it extremely annoying and if she hadn't knocked it off and started speaking in complete sentences then I would have found someone else who felt I was worth the effort.

He for she and her for him - bloody hell, I understand why she does it but please make it stop!

I myself do not understand our confusion with the pronouns but here's a good explanation from Wiki as to why Filipinos have a hard time with the he/she pronoun.

x x x All languages allow the speaker to specify whether one is talking about a male or female, but some languages do not require the speaker to make that choice as an intrinsic part of the language.[2] In some languages, pronouns do not distinguish between genders, so gender equity of pronouns is not relevant. This category includes many East Asian languages x x x

I consider myself to have a good grasp of the English language but I still commit the same "he/she" mistake when I speak. Filipinos use the non-gender specific "siya" when we talk about a person (we don't distinguish he or she). Siya ay maganda (She is pretty) or Siya ay magandang lalaki (He is handsome). We do not have a special name for son or daughter, both are called "anak" (child) in our language (if you need to be gender specific, you have to say "anak na babae" or "anak na lalaki" (child that is girl, child that is boy), mother-in-law and father-in-law are both called "biyenan", sons and daughters-in-law are both called "manugang", etc.

This is the reason why when we speak in English, it takes conscious effort to take into consideration the gender of the person we are talking about. Our brain is just not programmed to process the gender of the person being talked about for the simple reason that our language does not distinguish between sex.

Have a little more patience, dear American husbands. It is not easy to learn the nuances of another language. How about you learn Tagalog so you can even the score with us. Annoy us with your mistakes hehe devil.gif

Edited by Pinay Wife

Filed: Timeline

I myself do not understand our confusion with the pronouns but here's a good explanation from Wiki as to why Filipinos have a hard time with the he/she pronoun.

x x x All languages allow the speaker to specify whether one is talking about a male or female, but some languages do not require the speaker to make that choice as an intrinsic part of the language.[2] In some languages, pronouns do not distinguish between genders, so gender equity of pronouns is not relevant. This category includes many East Asian languages x x x

I consider myself to have a good grasp of the English language but I still commit the same "he/she" problem when I speak. Filipinos use the non-gender specific "siya" when we talk about a person (we don't distinguish he or she). Siya ay maganda (She is pretty) or Siya ay magandang lalaki (He is handsome). We do not have a special name for son or daughter, both are called "anak" (child) in our language (if you need to be gender specific, you have to say "anak na babae" or "anak na lalaki" (child that is girl, child that is boy), mother-in-law and father-in-law are both called "biyenan", sons and daughters-in-law are both called "manugang", etc.

This is the reason why when we speak in English, it takes conscious effort to take into consideration the gender of the person we are talking about. Our brain is just not programmed to process the gender of the person being talked about for the simple reason that our language does not distinguish between sex.

Have a little more patience, dear American husbands. It is not easy to learn the nuances of another language. How about you learn Tagalog so you can even the score with us. Annoy us with your mistakes hehe devil.gif

Well said!!!.... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes::thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.