love9708

question about luggage

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is any brand of luggage allowed?

It may seem silly question but i will ask anyway, I'll be leaving for the U.S next month and I'm planning to use my old luggage, I bought it cheap and I'm not sure if its allowed there, and not sure if it's original, hehe the brand is stamp.

Brand is irrelevant - If you're flying check on weight restrictions and number of pieces you're allowed etc for the airline itself. If your luggage is not in good shape (ie falling apart and broken) you might want something newer/ sturdier so you don't lose any belongings - baggage handlers are pretty rough with the luggage.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

If it's a counterfeit of a really expensive brand then there is a small chance (less than 1%) a bored customs officer with nothing better to do could make an issue of it. But if it's just cheap luggage with a no-name brand, then it'll be just fine - nobody will care.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

If it's a counterfeit of a really expensive brand then there is a small chance (less than 1%) a bored customs officer with nothing better to do could make an issue of it. But if it's just cheap luggage with a no-name brand, then it'll be just fine - nobody will care.

Oh stop it - knock-offs are not a problem

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Oh stop it - knock-offs are not a problem

I recall reading several months ago that CBP had circulated a policy memo instructing officers to be more vigilant for people importing knockoffs and to enforce international intellectual property laws more vigourously.

Now I'm sure the CBP officers took that memo about as seriously as we are ( :devil: ), and that's why I emphasized that it's a very very small chance. Getting nailed by a CBP officer playing IP cop over a knock-off is about as likely as being hit by lightning in the customs line, inside the airport terminal :), but it could possibly happen. The laws of physics do not exclude that event, so to speak. :)

The OP almost certainly has nothing to worry about, particularly because her luggage (even if it is a knock off, and I don't know for sure, from what she said, if it is) is so beat up. She would clearly not be importing a knockoff for purposes of resale.

[it's important to distinguish here between off-brand knock-offs, which merely look designer, and counterfeits, which fraudulently bear a real designer's logo and are intended to deceive a potential customer. Knock-offs are a little tacky, but it would be very difficult to secure a conviction, even if they're technically illegal, and they might not be. Importing counterfeits for the purposes of resale, on the other hand, is a slam dunk federal felony.]

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

That is a CFO scare tactic. They told my Flor that she would be denied if she brought counterfiet items with her.

Nothing that I'm going to worry about. It's pretty silly, really.

Timeline

Are you flying from canada or the phils? If your flying from the phils and you posted in the wrong section Id say go post in the phils section and ask that question because the rules for baggage seem A LOT different and it could end up costing you an arm and a leg just to put all your bags on the plane. Check just to make sure.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

Brand is irrelevant - If you're flying check on weight restrictions and number of pieces you're allowed etc for the airline itself. If your luggage is not in good shape (ie falling apart and broken) you might want something newer/ sturdier so you don't lose any belongings - baggage handlers are pretty rough with the luggage.

Thank you, I'm not going to bring much so I guess I'll be fine. Thanks again, God Bless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.