Sign in to follow this  
Teacher Mark

Vietnam-U.S. joint naval exercises start

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

HANOI, Vietnam, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- The United States and Vietnam began controversial naval exercises amid smiling photo opportunities between sailors but also mounting Chinese concern over its ocean territorial claims.

The guided missile carrier USS McCain and the aircraft carrier USS George Washington are taking part in the non-combat training exercises in the South China Sea.

The exercises celebrate 15 years of diplomatic ties between the former enemies after aggressions ended in 1975 when the communists over ran the South Vietnamese capital Saigon, now called Ho Chi Minh City.

The two countries have been drawing closer through increased trade and cultural exchanges, especially since a visit in November 2000 by U.S. President Bill Clinton to Hanoi. It was the first presidential visit since the end of the Vietnam War.

The USS McCain "is hosting training and engagement opportunities between American and Vietnamese sailors as well as be a focal point for local community-outreach activities," a U.S. State Department statement said.

Sailors will take part in "medical and dental civic-action projects, an underway aircraft carrier embark, and ship visits," as well as a volleyball game and a barbecue.

At sea, exercises will include shipboard damage control, search-and-rescue demonstrations and "cultural-skills exchanges" such as cooking events.

In Da Nang, the former U.S. Navy base during the Vietnam War and where the McCain has been docked, U.S. naval personnel will conduct community-outreach projects at a school and an orphanage, the State Department said.

"This is indicative of the increasingly closer ties between the U.S. and Vietnam," U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ron Horton, commander of Task Force 73 and Logistics Group Western Pacific, said.

"Exchanges like this are vital for our navies to gain a greater understanding of one another and build important relationships for the future."

The United States was Vietnam's top export market as well as its largest foreign investor in 2009. Trade between the two countries amounted to $15.4 billion, part of a rebuilding of confidence between the two countries, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on a visit to Vietnam last month.

Both countries have "made an intensive effort to rebuild ties that increase engagement on issues as diverse as health and human rights, energy, security, defense, and most certainly business, trade, and investment," she said.

U.S. investment has helped expand economic opportunity in Vietnam, even as Washington continues to push for greater political freedoms within the country, she said.

"This is not a relationship that is fixed upon our differences. We have learned to see each other not as former enemies, but as actual and potential partners, colleagues and friends. This tradition of cooperation is bringing great benefits to us both," Clinton said.

But China, Vietnam's neighbor, has voiced concerns over the exercises, as well as U.S.-Vietnam talks on the transfer of nuclear technology for energy needs to Vietnam, an important nuclear technology export market for China.

China also is concerned that Vietnam could use nuclear technology to enrich uranium for export.

Vietnam has bilateral nuclear co-operation agreements with China as well as Russia, France, India, South Korea and Argentina. It also signed in March a memorandum of understanding on nuclear energy cooperation with the United States.

This week, a Vietnam foreign ministry spokesman said negotiations are continuing with the United States about a civil nuclear cooperation agreement. It covers the issue of Vietnam not passing on nuclear materials, equipment and technology to other countries to ensure that nuclear weapons are not proliferated.

Vietnam is a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty but the country is speeding up the use of nuclear energy for peaceful purpose, the representative told reporters.

China is watching carefully the exercises. It claims large areas of the South China Sea as its territorial waters because it lays claim to the hotly disputed Spratly and Paracel islands.

But Vietnam, as well as Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines, also claim all or some of the islands.

At stake isn't so much the tiny islands themselves, a collection of more than 700 reefs, atolls and cays whose total land mass is measured in several square miles, depending on tides.

Of greater importance is that ownership allows control of the surrounding militarily strategic shipping lanes and economically important fishing grounds and oil and natural gas reserves.

"The strategic implications and importance of the waters of the South China Sea and the freedom of navigation is vital to both Vietnam and the United States," Capt. Ross Myers, commander of the George Washington's air wing, said aboard the ship during a VIP visit of North Vietnamese officials Sunday.

"I'm certain that the Chinese government and the Chinese people are trying to protect their interests. It is more important for Vietnam (and) its partners to establish that they have an equal right to economic prosperity and peace within the region as well."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2010/08/11/Vietnam-US-joint-exercises-start/UPI-22171281531026/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Dear Vietnam

We are delighted to offer you the opportunity to make cheap shirts for us.

China has lent us an awful lot of money in the last few years, so when we pay you for the shirts, please buy US treasuries with the money

To show our sincerity, our sailors will now disembark and buy free drinks for your daughters

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

China has lent us an awful lot of money in the last few years, so when we pay you for the shirts, please buy US treasuries with the money

Lent us? As if China has a better place to park its dollars. They buy our paper because they know their money is safer with us than it is with them.

Timeline

Lent us? As if China has a better place to park its dollars. They buy our paper because they know their money is safer with us than it is with them.

Yes they lent you it....

and yes you borrowed it from them

and yes you spent it and can't pay them back

oh dear...

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Yes they lent you it....

and yes you borrowed it from them

and yes you spent it and can't pay them back

oh dear...

That response strikes me as a geriatric version of "i know you are but what am I?".

Edited by Legacy member

The best part of joint ops was the drinking in port afterwards.

istockphoto_8504574-drunken-sailor-monkey.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That response strikes me as a geriatric version of "i know you are but what am I?".

only if you was swatted with a cane, young un.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Still doing the old person abuse eh. I saw yobs in the park abusing oldies so I know the type..

If you become old, my Vietnamese made voodoo doll will have failed

Actually I win whether you become old or not

Think about it...

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

aj, back to work. us old folks need for you to fund our pensions. :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

dude, saywhat is old enough to be your daddy.

that would make him what, about 70?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

You lost a long time ago and you don't even know it.

My signature is indicative of me - and your signature is indicative of you

Why should I be offended by the beavis and butthead of VJ rolled into one person

I reckon this is me and you - I am Clint by the way.. he is a lot older than me but the sentiments are valid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UznxI3Z4NU8

moresheep400100.jpg

Ever think you'd see the day we'd conduct exercises with them? I'm a bit surprised.

I was surprised too. People, and countries, change.

We did ops with South Korea back in the 90s.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG