Jimen & Kenly

Introduced by family

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I'm in the process of petitioning a K1 VISA for my fiancee in VN. We were introduced by family members (her sister and my uncle). I read in the forum that this could be considered a red flag. I would think being introduced by people who know each other is much better than by total strangers. I guess that's just my own point of view.

My question is, should I address this and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--jc

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd just explain it clearly in your timeline. If the story isn't suspicious, there should be know problems. Being introduced by family is normal and customary. But it all depends on your particular situation. I'm sure other members with more experience will chime in, but I wouldn't worry about it, as long as your story is not suspicious.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I'm in the process of petitioning a K1 VISA for my fiancee in VN. We were introduced by family members (her sister and my uncle). I read in the forum that this could be considered a red flag. I would think being introduced by people who know each other is much better than by total strangers. I guess that's just my own point of view.

--jc

It's hard to say. It depends on some of the details of your case. Many have been introduced by a relative and have gotten their visas. Other not so fortunate.

Did you have a dam hoi? How long have known your fiancee? How do you know her sister? How long have you known her sister? How many trips have you made to VN? How many trip did you make until you proposed? How long have you known each other before the engagement? Did you recently get divorced? Answers to these questions might make a difference to whether it's an issue. You never know what you will get with HCMC.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How to address it? Well since the petition is already filed, addressing it in question 18 is out of the question.. IMO that is a really good place to address it... As was just noted it can be mentioned in the timeline, but the timeline isnt usually accepted until after the application got hit with an initial blue slip (kinda late huh?)

You should be working on a detailed timeline now just in case they request it... have it noted in the initial part as it explains the beginning of the relationship,... also be sure to prepare a list of her relatives in the US along with contact info for them...

She needs to be able to clearly, consistently and effectively explain at the interview how you met.. They may ask about the circumstances a few times in different ways. at this point the best time has passed, and it boils down to how she interviews and what the initial packet looked like. Often times they dont pay much attention to the evidence submitted at the interview unless there is some doubt in the CO's mind... If you make a big issue out of meeting that way, the CO may think its a big issue as well... focus on the strength and quality of the relationship in the evidence... the big picture is about the relationship as a whole... Be sure she knows everything about you... EVERYTHING... Thuy was expected to know answers to questions my own mother could not correctly respond.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

If the petitioner knew the beneficiary's family or the specific family member who made the introduction for a long time then the introduction is less likely to be suspicious. Vietnamese love to play matchmaker, but they would want to get to know someone pretty well before they would consider trying to hook them up with a relative.

On the other hand, if the petitioner only knew the family member for a short period of time, or only knew them casually or professionally, then the introduction would be more suspect. The suspicion grows if the petitioner doesn't have the qualities they would normally look for in a prospective spouse for a relative - little or no income and little prospect for any improvement in the foreseeable future (they may even suspect the petitioner is being paid to marry the beneficiary), a troubled past possibly involving some criminal activity, an older person still being supported by their parents, a recently divorced person with children who are nearly as old as the beneficiary, etc. An average Vietnamese person would consider such a match to be undesirable, and the consular officers know this. They'd suspect the introduction to be primarily to help the beneficiary immigrate to the US, with the expectation that the marriage will be terminated shortly after the beneficiary's immigration status has been secured.

Note that the CO can have the same suspicions as above if the petitioner and beneficiary met on the internet. They would just think that the beneficiary is being proactive about finding their own US citizen pigeon, rather than relying on family members to do the job for them.

Like Scott said, this subject would have been good to address with the petition. Presuming the CO takes the time to read the evidence, this helps reduce the chance that the topic will become a subject of discussion at the interview. Did you include any mention in the petition of how you met?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

No one knows for certain whether having been introduced by family members is a red flag.

If asked during the interview, respond how you two met. Wouldn't push the info out now or

it might needlessly stand out.

Timeline

Did you have a dam hoi?

That's the engagement ceremony? Yes, we had an engagement ceremony. With over 150 guests, including my mom.

How long have known your fiancee?

Three years. I have some emails from our initial contact. But not a lot. We mostly use Skype. Unfortunately, my computer crashed and I didn't have backup. So I don't have Skype logs from then. I use Gmail, so that's why I still have emails from then.

How do you know her sister? How long have you known her sister?

Through my uncle. She was playing matchmaker. I didn't know her until my uncle introduced her (Kelly) and my fiancee (Kenly). Note, my 5th uncle is married to another relative of theirs. That's how Kelly knew my uncle.

Also, Kelly's husband used to live next door to my grandma back in VN and was friends with my cousin in VN when they were young. We didn't know this until we returned to VN and the family chatted. Don't know if any of this matters. Kelly also used a K1 VISA to enter the US. She's now a citizen though.

How many trips have you made to VN? How many trip did you make until you proposed? How long have you known each other before the engagement?

I've only made one trip to VN. This was for the engagement. We've known each other for 2.5 years before the engagement.

We took lots of pictures with different clothes during my visit. The trip was 2 weeks, but with flight time, that's only about 11 days actually in VN. I have ticket stubs to many tourist spots.

Did you recently get divorced?

No, we both have never been married.

Some other info that might be relevant.

1. When we were introduced, I had a job. But since then, I decided to switch careers and went back to school full time. I still have another year of school left. I do intend to use a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support. Though I do have enough assets without a need for a co-sponsor. Note, I do have a reason why I'm applying for the VISA now instead of waiting until I find a job in my new career. Kenly and I have discussed it extensively.

2. We have been calling on the phone and writing letters, but only started when we decided to get married. For the rest of the time, we've been using Skype for voice/video chats.

3. We're both Chinese, and in our late 30's (our birth date is actually only a few days apart, she's older). We're both born in VN. I immigrated to US 30 years ago.

4. No criminal records, and in my last job (the one I quit), I had secret clearance.

5. I have a BS (in Engineering) degree from the first time in college.

That's all I can think of that might be relevant to the application.

So the only red flags I can see are; being introduced by Kelly, and spending a short amount of time physically together. The latter one can be explained. But I have no idea how to respond to the previous one if the CO thinks that's a problem. Some of you commented that it could be addressed in question 18 of I-129F, can you explain how? I know it's too late now, but I would still like to know, in case Kenly needs to say something at the interview.

And if anyone can see other red flags, please let me know. Thanks...

--jc

Timeline

Danger will robinson danger... "only made 1 trip to VN" .... has anyone been approved having met and got engaged on the first and only trip before they filed the petition? I know that you guys have known each other through the internet for a long time, but IMO the CO considers the F2F meeting the first meeting... and would likely consider having met and got engaged in a short period of time... I'm not trying to sound all gloom and doom, but dont expect a pink at the interview... You have some big red flags in your case and it would take a great interview to overcome them first go...

FYI.. no co-sponsors on K1's @ HCMC... they allow them for CR1's from time to time...

How long was engagement before filing?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

--jc

If you haven't filed yet, STOP!!! Try making a few more trips (3 more), then file your petition. It doesn't matter how you two were introduced. That's things in the past. Work on what's happening now and/or the future.

Has she ever been sponsored by anyone to come to the US before? If NO, you're in good shape. If YES, that will be your BIG RED FLAG. You have no income (at the moment) and she wants to shorten her waiting time. You got the picture?

If you have already filed, you haven't done your homework! How you found out about this website? Haven't you read my inputs in the past?

AT least THREE trips, preferably four with the Engagement ceremony on the third trip.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Timeline

If you haven't filed yet, STOP!!! Try making a few more trips (3 more), then file your petition. It doesn't matter how you two were introduced. That's things in the past. Work on what's happening now and/or the future.

Has she ever been sponsored by anyone to come to the US before? If NO, you're in good shape. If YES, that will be your BIG RED FLAG. You have no income (at the moment) and she wants to shorten her waiting time. You got the picture?

If you have already filed, you haven't done your homework! How you found out about this website? Haven't you read my inputs in the past?

AT least THREE trips, preferably four with the Engagement ceremony on the third trip.

They got NOA2 last month... and had the Dam Hoi on the one and only trip.. As I was typing my post earlier today I kept thinking it sounded like a post or two of yours...

Timeline

Danger will robinson danger... "only made 1 trip to VN" .... has anyone been approved having met and got engaged on the first and only trip before they filed the petition? I know that you guys have known each other through the internet for a long time, but IMO the CO considers the F2F meeting the first meeting... and would likely consider having met and got engaged in a short period of time... I'm not trying to sound all gloom and doom, but dont expect a pink at the interview... You have some big red flags in your case and it would take a great interview to overcome them first go...

FYI.. no co-sponsors on K1's @ HCMC... they allow them for CR1's from time to time...

How long was engagement before filing?

Yes me.whistling.gif I only made one and only one trip. I also got her fathers OK and we had the party two days later. I had known my babe for not quite 6 months when It made my trip but had started saving our contact logs about 3 months before the first and only meet. As soon as I returned I started the process.

Now reading his story I see a blue slip but nothing that can't be overcome but must start doing much homework right away.

Timeline

Yes me.whistling.gif I only made one and only one trip. I also got her fathers OK and we had the party two days later. I had known my babe for not quite 6 months when It made my trip but had started saving our contact logs about 3 months before the first and only meet. As soon as I returned I started the process.

Now reading his story I see a blue slip but nothing that can't be overcome but must start doing much homework right away.

What did they give you a blue slip asking for?

Timeline

What did they give you a blue slip asking for?

List of relatives and a timeline. She even took it in early and they gave her a pink.

Now I didn't even send a timeline to her beforehand as the good people here had me convinced I was looking at a denial. I knew they would ask for it too and should have sent these to her or submitted them beforehand.

The questions I have for him is more along the lines of who bought the plane ticket? If you did can you show proof? Since you are a student where do you live? How support yourself and has anyone made deposits or given you money for living expenses? And so on.

Timeline

Yeah, but you ain't normal! You have the sort of luck no average mortal can hope for. Look at your forum nick, for pete's sake! :innocent:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Yeah, but you ain't normal! You have the sort of luck no average mortal can hope for. Look at your forum nick, for pete's sake! :innocent:

Yes I am but I do know that there have been others that have made one trip only and proof of having known each by logs and had the party on that only one trip and gotten a pink.

There is no proof that making many trips will mean a pink.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.