EWWM NITCH KAH

Bringing my step daughter from Ukraine

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello All and thanks for reading my tread.

My wife is here on K1 I am am USC. My Wife now has her perminate Residant card. We want to bring her 19 yr old daughter which has now finished college in The Ukraine. She has no kids, Shes never been married and we want to start the process of bringing her to America. Can someone help us get started. we want to start the documents asap. Thanks Kerry & Lena

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IF the span between 'K-1 visa interview date' and 'today'

is less than 1 year, then you should jumpstart a K-2 'Follow-to-Join' case (At the Embassy in Kiev) -

provided that the daughter was listed on all of the K-1 visa documents that were submitted to the US Embassy/Kiev.

You have 1 year on any follow to join K-2 case, from the time the K-1 was granted to the K-2 interview date.

If it's been more than 1 year, then you'll need to file an I-130, and I'm not sure if she qualifies now because of her age.

K-2's can be under 21, no idea of any CR-2 age limit.

to 'jump-start' a K-2 'follow to join' case -

send off a packet 3 with coverletter to the Embassy in Kiev, soonish (this week). If you want even more speed, the 19 year old can 'do this', as well.

----

Upon further review of your timeline, I'm sad to say that a K-2 FTJ case is 'out of scope' for you and yours.

If your wife is approaching 'US Citizenship' time window of 3 years, then once she is a US Citizen, with the child under age 21, then yer wife can petition for her with instant priority date status.

I'm not sure if YOU can file an I-130 on the child, but hopefully, someone else can chime in.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

IF the span between 'K-1 visa interview date' and 'today'

is less than 1 year, then you should jumpstart a K-2 'Follow-to-Join' case (At the Embassy in Kiev) -

provided that the daughter was listed on all of the K-1 visa documents that were submitted to the US Embassy/Kiev.

You have 1 year on any follow to join K-2 case, from the time the K-1 was granted to the K-2 interview date.

If it's been more than 1 year, then you'll need to file an I-130, and I'm not sure if she qualifies now because of her age.

K-2's can be under 21, no idea of any CR-2 age limit.

to 'jump-start' a K-2 'follow to join' case -

send off a packet 3 with coverletter to the Embassy in Kiev, soonish (this week). If you want even more speed, the 19 year old can 'do this', as well.

----

The marriage that created the "stepdaughter" relationship must have taken place before her 18th birthday...if not your wife will have to petetion for her when she is able to

Upon further review of your timeline, I'm sad to say that a K-2 FTJ case is 'out of scope' for you and yours.

If your wife is approaching 'US Citizenship' time window of 3 years, then once she is a US Citizen, with the child under age 21, then yer wife can petition for her with instant priority date status.

I'm not sure if YOU can file an I-130 on the child, but hopefully, someone else can chime in.

Timeline

Thanks for all the quick info. the duaghter is now 19. She was 16 when her mom and I were married. she is on the k1 when we applied. My wife recived her perminate resident card 3 months ago. so it looks like we file the I 130 ? looks like the k2 is out of the question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for all the quick info. the duaghter is now 19. She was 16 when her mom and I were married. she is on the k1 when we applied. My wife recived her perminate resident card 3 months ago. so it looks like we file the I 130 ? looks like the k2 is out of the question.

Correct. IF the K1 was issued more than 12 months ago, the K2 is out. File an I-130. You will attach a birth certificate (translated) of her daughter, your marriage certificate to establish you were married before her daughter turned 18. It takes about 9-12 months to get the IR-2 visa but she will have a green card when she arrives and it will be a 10 year green card.

DO NOT waste any time getting this filed. The visa MUST be issued before she turns age 21.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Correct. IF the K1 was issued more than 12 months ago, the K2 is out. File an I-130. You will attach a birth certificate (translated) of her daughter, your marriage certificate to establish you were married before her daughter turned 18. It takes about 9-12 months to get the IR-2 visa but she will have a green card when she arrives and it will be a 10 year green card.

DO NOT waste any time getting this filed. The visa MUST be issued before she turns age 21.

Thanks Gary.( just what I was looking for) For some reason I see you as one of the Godfathers of this site. Do you think because im a conservative living in Ca, it will take even longer then 9 to 12 months to get her here? lol were on it ! Thanks So much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks Gary.( just what I was looking for) For some reason I see you as one of the Godfathers of this site. Do you think because im a conservative living in Ca, it will take even longer then 9 to 12 months to get her here? lol were on it ! Thanks So much.

Well, I am a grandfather. Not a godfather. :lol:

We considered doing the I-130 for Sergey as he will be 20 when he finishes his bachelors degree next year. But we did the K-2 to follow instead. I cannot say it was "easier" but Alla would have been a nervous wreck if he didn't have a green card before then. Now she feels like he can come and go when he wants (even though he doesn't except for summer)

And though I am WAY not a liberal and I live in a state perhaps a few clicks "left" of California (except we can carry guns) I have to say our very liberal Senator Leahy has been a great help to people with problems with USCIS, even conservatives. :lol:

Actually, I have seen some CR/IR-1s processed in 6 months lately, but I wouldn't plan on it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well, I am a grandfather. Not a godfather. :lol:

We considered doing the I-130 for Sergey as he will be 20 when he finishes his bachelors degree next year. But we did the K-2 to follow instead. I cannot say it was "easier" but Alla would have been a nervous wreck if he didn't have a green card before then. Now she feels like he can come and go when he wants (even though he doesn't except for summer)

And though I am WAY not a liberal and I live in a state perhaps a few clicks "left" of California (except we can carry guns) I have to say our very liberal Senator Leahy has been a great help to people with problems with USCIS, even conservatives. :lol:

Actually, I have seen some CR/IR-1s processed in 6 months lately, but I wouldn't plan on it.

Hey Gary ! Ya I totally understand you doing the k2 for Sergey with the wife a little nervous. WOW bachelors is it here or there? I'm kinda going through the same thing right now with the my wife Lena being nervous ( hell she makes coffee nervous right now ) She reads Russian forums all day about it and then asks me what we need do ? lol. And Thank god for SKYPE if you know what I mean. She talks to the Daughter and Mom all the time.

Your so lucky to have gun freedom in your state because out here were lucky to purchase a bb gun. Well the honest Man is at least all others can buy what they want if you want it bad enough. And ill argue the left click with you all day remember we have Hollywood and S.F. Hell its so bad out here the Giants wont even play a RIGHT fielder. I honestly think Barbara Boxer will go down this year.The More obama campaigns for her the worse it gets for her.lol

Gary we have completed the translation of birth-cert for the daughter. have the marriage cert ready to go put the I-130 is all filled out. Is there anything else. I guess I should send some kind of cover letter and I tried looking for an example with no luck. What about financial support ect does that all come at the interview for her.Any known info would be a big plus. kinda confusing finding out what exactly I need for this petition/application... Thanks Kerry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.