confusing

from south carolina processing AOS

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This problem you and others have came across is the direct result of not waiting until after marriage and then getting your SSN card. What is the big hurry for the SSN that can not wait until marriage and then eliminate another trip to the SSN office. :bonk:

we got our ssn because we read on the marriage requirements that they required both of you have an ssn to get a marriage license.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

You make a good point. I had my wife get her's 2 weeks after her POE because I had read about other folks on VJ who did that and I figured she should get it "just in case". Turned out she needed it when I added her to my health insurance at work. Also, if I wanted to add her to my bank accounts, etc, in preparation for a possible AOS interview I think she would need it for that too. But now that I think about it I could have waited until after the wedding and still done that stuff.

However, it would have caused a delay of about a month, because it took 2 weeks to receive the marriage certificate from the county and about another two weeks to receive the actual SS card.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Timeline

This problem you and others have came across is the direct result of not waiting until after marriage and then getting your SSN card. What is the big hurry for the SSN that can not wait until marriage and then eliminate another trip to the SSN office. :bonk:

The reason that we needed a SSN was for the purpose of getting my wife on my medical insurance. It may be possible without a SSN, but it would certainly be more trouble than making an extra trip to the SS office, at least for us anyway. You also have to have a SSN to get added to a bank account. We wanted a joint account for the AoS interview, which never occurred.

I have read, and still advocate, getting the K-1 beneficiary the SSN about 2 weeks after arriving. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten her a state ID immediately after that.

Your mileage may vary.

Ingats!

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

The clerk at the Social Security office is wrong. Ask to speak to a supervisor at the Social Security office, or go to a different office. In your case, your I-94 in your passport is irrelevant in regard to your name change on your Social Security card.

Timeline

The clerk at the Social Security office is wrong. Ask to speak to a supervisor at the Social Security office, or go to a different office. In your case, your I-94 in your passport is irrelevant in regard to your name change on your Social Security card.

thanks.

i am planning to take us to a different ssn office tomorrow. perhaps ill just remove the i94 from the passport temporarily so it won't confuse the person...

Timeline

thanks.

i am planning to take us to a different ssn office tomorrow. perhaps ill just remove the i94 from the passport temporarily so it won't confuse the person...

Now I'm really curious. Let us know how it works out for you tomorrow. :D

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

thanks.

Don't remove the I-94 from the passport.

You have to have the 1-94 in your passport. The SSN office checks into the system for that number being valid. The immigration officer at POE entered that number in the system and wrote it on the I-94 and then stapled into your passport. If the SSN office does not see the I-94 for the number they can not run it in the system.

The reason that we needed a SSN was for the purpose of getting my wife on my medical insurance. It may be possible without a SSN, but it would certainly be more trouble than making an extra trip to the SS office, at least for us anyway. You also have to have a SSN to get added to a bank account. We wanted a joint account for the AoS interview, which never occurred.

I have read, and still advocate, getting the K-1 beneficiary the SSN about 2 weeks after arriving. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten her a state ID immediately after that.

Your mileage may vary.

Ingats!

That's cool. Everyone has their specific reasons to maybe do things a little different. I am happy yours worked out to benefit your situation and I am happy mine worked out to benefit me and my wives situation. Peace out!:)

Timeline

me and my husband went to the different ssn office and they say to me that my i 94 was near to expired so we need to renew it, but it was 1 mos to go, they said they can change my name if i can renew it,my question is that possible to extend the date of expiration of my I94? and is it better to us to mail the aos first and use then my married name even my ssn was still my last name,and my i 94 was 1 mos will expired

Timeline

me and my husband went to the different ssn office and they say to me that my i 94 was near to expired so we need to renew it, but it was 1 mos to go, they said they can change my name if i can renew it,my question is that possible to extend the date of expiration of my I94? and is it better to us to mail the aos first and use then my married name even my ssn was still my last name,and my i 94 was 1 mos will expired

Aha! I knew time left on I-94 was a factor in changing your name on your SS card. But I have never heard of renewing an I-94. I think you should forget about changing your name on your SS card at this time. It's ok to leave your SS card in your maiden name while waiting for your AOS application to process. File your AOS application in your married name. Then after your GC arrives with your married name on it go back to the Social Security office and change your name on your SS card to your married name. Problem solved.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Timeline

Aha! I knew time left on I-94 was a factor in changing your name on your SS card. But I have never heard of renewing an I-94. I think you should forget about changing your name on your SS card at this time. It's ok to leave your SS card in your maiden name while waiting for your AOS application to process. File your AOS application in your married name. Then after your GC arrives with your married name on it go back to the Social Security office and change your name on your SS card to your married name. Problem solved.

it was amusing as she said there wasnt enough time left on it... i asked how much time is needed, she said more than 30 days. i pointed out that it expires in 32 days. not good enough.

thanks a lot for the help with this headache.

Timeline

it was amusing as she said there wasnt enough time left on it... i asked how much time is needed, she said more than 30 days. i pointed out that it expires in 32 days. not good enough.

thanks a lot for the help with this headache.

No Problem :thumbs:

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Timeline

hello i just want to ask how many weeks after we send our aos, i will receive mail from them, thanks and takecare

It takes about 10-14 days to get the notice of acceptance. For example, I mailed my wife's AOS application on July 31st and she received her NOA1 yesterday, August 12. Based on the timelines I have seen, it takes about 2-4 weeks to get the letter with your biometrics appointment. It takes about 2-3 months to get the AP & EAD and about 4 months to get the GC, although some have waited longer. I suggest you join the thread for August 2010 Filers, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/267889-august-2010-filers/

To see how long the whole process takes you might also want to check out the one for July filers, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/264252-july-2010-aos/page__pid__4052294#entry4052294

You can also search for prior months.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.