confusing

from south carolina processing AOS

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello, i am now processing my AOS and finish medical i just want to ask if i can change my name in ssn,because what i read on requirements was just bring passport, the ssn card and marriage license but in the ssn told us to first change my name in I194, im now finishing filling up form that i will send to the uscis,

Are you speaking of the I-94 card taht was stapled to your passport when you entered the USA the first time?

There is a I-194 form also but it has nothing to do with a name change.

All you should need is your passport and marriage certificate. Since you are applying for AOS you do not have ypour conditional green card yet.

My wife had to get a South Carolina state ID card from the DMV (department of motor vehicles) before the SSN office would give her a SSN card. She did not apply for the SSN card until after we were married. The SSN office will check in the system for your name using the number on your I-94. When they saw her name in the system and her SC ID they gave her a SSN card in her now married name. We went to the Charleston SSN office.

I hope this helps because I am not sure exactly what your question is? :help:

We are K-1ers too. Chinook applied for a Social Security card in her maiden name about ten days after she arrived in the U.S. and about one month before we got married. After we were married, we went to the Social Security office again and Chinook applied for a name change to her married name. The Social Security office simply asked to see her current Social Security card, her passport, and a copy of our marriage certificate that we got from the county. It was free and easy. Chinook received her updated Social Security card in the mail about two weeks later.

Timeline

We are K-1ers too. Chinook applied for a Social Security card in her maiden name about ten days after she arrived in the U.S. and about one month before we got married. After we were married, we went to the Social Security office again and Chinook applied for a name change to her married name. The Social Security office simply asked to see her current Social Security card, her passport, and a copy of our marriage certificate that we got from the county. It was free and easy. Chinook received her updated Social Security card in the mail about two weeks later.

thanks for reply, so that means you first all had your AOS done before applying the SSN name change?

Timeline

Are you speaking of the I-94 card taht was stapled to your passport when you entered the USA the first time?

There is a I-194 form also but it has nothing to do with a name change.

All you should need is your passport and marriage certificate. Since you are applying for AOS you do not have ypour conditional green card yet.

My wife had to get a South Carolina state ID card from the DMV (department of motor vehicles) before the SSN office would give her a SSN card. She did not apply for the SSN card until after we were married. The SSN office will check in the system for your name using the number on your I-94. When they saw her name in the system and her SC ID they gave her a SSN card in her now married name. We went to the Charleston SSN office.

I hope this helps because I am not sure exactly what your question is? :help:

thanks for the reply,what i want to ask is that got my ssn when i arrive here, then we got married, then we went again to ssn to change my last name then they told us that my I 194 the stamp in my passport need to change first and reffer as to customs then they said in customs they are not allowed to change my last name, are we gonna try our luck on different ssn office?

thanks for reply, so that means you first all had your AOS done before applying the SSN name change?

No, we sent in our AOS after Chinook changed her name on her Social Security card.

Chinook arrived in the U.S. in mid-March and she applied for her Social Security card around the end of March. She received her Social Security card the second week of April. We were married in early May. Shortly after we were married, we went back to the Social Security office and she applied for a name change on her Social Security card. The new Social Security card arrived in mid-May. We applied for AOS before the end of May.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think I read somewhere on VJ that if there is less than 30 days left before your I-94 expires then you can't change your name on your SS card until you receive your EAD. My wife's I-94 has already expired, so she has to wait at least until then before going in to change her name. If everything goes quickly with the processing of her AOS I might even have her wait until she receives her GC, so that she can change her SS card to her married name AND it wont have that writing on top about employment needing DHS authorization. I think if you do it with the EAD instead of the GC then they are going to leave that writing on the card.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Timeline

No, we sent in our AOS after Chinook changed her name on her Social Security card.

Chinook arrived in the U.S. in mid-March and she applied for her Social Security card around the end of March. She received her Social Security card the second week of April. We were married in early May. Shortly after we were married, we went back to the Social Security office and she applied for a name change on her Social Security card. The new Social Security card arrived in mid-May. We applied for AOS before the end of May.

thanks for the reply, so maybe we will just try our luck in different ssn office?

Timeline

I think I read somewhere on VJ that if there is less than 30 days left before your I-94 expires then you can't change your name on your SS card until you receive your EAD. My wife's I-94 has already expired, so she has to wait at least until then before going in to change her name. If everything goes quickly with the processing of her AOS I might even have her wait until she receives her GC, so that she can change her SS card to her married name AND it wont have that writing on top about employment needing DHS authorization. I think if you do it with the EAD instead of the GC then they are going to leave that writing on the card.

thanks for reply, my I194 is not expired, ssn told us that my I194 in my passport need to change first before they can change my last name and reffer us to customs,we went to costums but they said they are not allowed to change it,and said to us to do first the AOS before the SSN change do you think its better to us to go on different ssn office?

Timeline

Submit the AoS papers in your MARRIED name. You will then receive your green card in your MARRIED name. You can then take your green card, passport, and marriage certificate to the Social Security office and apply for the name change and to have the work restriction lifted.

Ingats!

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

Timeline

Submit the AoS papers in your MARRIED name. You will then receive your green card in your MARRIED name. You can then take your green card, passport, and marriage certificate to the Social Security office and apply for the name change and to have the work restriction lifted.

Ingats!

thanks for the reply:) i understand now takecare too

Timeline

thanks for reply, my I194 is not expired, ssn told us that my I194 in my passport need to change first before they can change my last name and reffer us to customs,we went to costums but they said they are not allowed to change it,and said to us to do first the AOS before the SSN change do you think its better to us to go on different ssn office?

You cannot change your name on your I-94 because you entered the country before you were married, thus it will stay in your maiden name. I see by your timeline that your I-94 will expire in a little more than 30 days, so maybe you should try another SS office before it goes under 30 days. I could be wrong about the 30 days, maybe it is 60 days, which is why the first office turned you down. If you get turned down again you can always wait for your EAD or GC.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

thanks for the reply,what i want to ask is that got my ssn when i arrive here, then we got married, then we went again to ssn to change my last name then they told us that my I 194 the stamp in my passport need to change first and reffer as to customs then they said in customs they are not allowed to change my last name, are we gonna try our luck on different ssn office?

You need to try another SSN office is another office is reasonable close or go back to the same one and ask to speak to the supervisor. The person that you saw in that office is Wrong!

We waited until we got married before we attempted to get my wife her SSN because that would eliminate going back to have the last name changed after marriage. We then filed for her AOS after she had the SSN. We filed the AOS package about 1 week before the 90 days since my wife arrived in USA. Any other questions just ask us we are happy to help.

This problem you and others have came across is the direct result of not waiting until after marriage and then getting your SSN card. What is the big hurry for the SSN that can not wait until marriage and then eliminate another trip to the SSN office. :bonk:

Timeline

This problem you and others have came across is the direct result of not waiting until after marriage and then getting your SSN card. What is the big hurry for the SSN that can not wait until marriage and then eliminate another trip to the SSN office. :bonk:

You make a good point. I had my wife get her's 2 weeks after her POE because I had read about other folks on VJ who did that and I figured she should get it "just in case". Turned out she needed it when I added her to my health insurance at work. Also, if I wanted to add her to my bank accounts, etc, in preparation for a possible AOS interview I think she would need it for that too. But now that I think about it I could have waited until after the wedding and still done that stuff.

Edited by Bruin85

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.