Rich and Lenochka

American Embassy in Moscow Calling Off Interviews?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In my nightly Skype call with my sweetie she informed me that due to the fires burning around Moscow, the U.S. Embassy is calling off and/or re-scheduling interviews for non-immigrant visa applicants. This doesn't affect us (yet), but sure adds to the uncertainty of the whole process.

I checked out the Embassy website and there is only a brief reference to the situation. "Pony Express" is calling people who are/were scheduled for Tuesday, August 10th and "offering" to re-schedule their interviews at a later date. It is not clear whether the applicant has a choice in the matter, and it doesn't say when the interviews will be re-scheduled. And the only date listed is Tuesday, August 10th. But with the fires still burning on, and the smog worsening, it appears likely that this may be an ongoing problem.

Anybody else have any news on this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

my fiance is in Moscow and he heard on the news that many embassies in the city are evacuating staff due to the smoke. So it doesn't surprise me at all. But the latest weather forecast is for wind to clear the worst of the smoke by the 2nd half of the week, so I'm hoping the U.S. embassy is just allowing staff to stay home for a few days. Seems silly to "evacuate" people well over a week in when according to the weather forecast the worst is almost over.

like they needed any help from the elements to keep things slow... argh. But if the weather forecast is correct the delays should really only affect a couple of days of interviews.

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Timeline

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_russia_fires

It says

The situation in Moscow was severe enough for the U.S. State Department to allow non-essential personnel and the families of all diplomats at the American Embassy to leave Russia temporarily at government expense. Spokesman P.J. Crowley said about 100 embassy staff and family members were eligible for the so-called "authorized departure" program.

First email 2004-09-05

Visit her in Russia 2009-09-18 to 2009-11-02

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-08-11

Touch : 2010-08-18

NOA2 :2010-01-13

Timeline

bummer - looks like it IS official. Just saw this on Moscow Embassy web site:

REDUCTION IN NONIMMIGRANT VISA SERVICES

FOR AUGUST 11, 2010

For the health and safety of our employees and clients, the American Embassy is reducing nonimmigrant visa services on Wednesday, August 11. Pony Express has called a number of clients in order to offer a chance to reschedule their appointment. If you have not received a phone call from Pony Express, please come at your assigned interview time. All F, J, H, L, M, O, P, C1/D visa applicants scheduled for August 11 will continue to be processed as usual.

I have the sneaky feeling they will be updating this for several days to come... *sigh* so much for my half-optimism in the last post!

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Timeline

I found a good article on this situation with the Embassy, not only US, but other European countries.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/embassies-go-back-to-work/412206.html

I know for instance that a few of Tanya's relatives who live in Moscow have gone to stay with relatives till this situation normalizes. I guess for the last couple of days things have been clear, so hopefully conditions are improving. Just thought I would share!

Jeff & Tanya

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Interview 18 Nov 09' (Administrative Review)

Visa Approved!! 15 Dec 09'

Tatiana Arrives! 12 Jan 10'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Green Card Received 10 July 10'

Lifting Conditions Filed 25 April 12'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just wondering if any VJ posters have been directly affected by the called off interviews in Moscow. If so, what kind of info are you being given regarding rescheduling? I would imagine the consulate wouldn't be able to give any definite time frame regarding the new interview date. What are the telling you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.