Simmy

I-864 for joint sponsors

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here I am again with another form question, thanks for bearing with me....

We're getting my wife's father to be a co-sponsor, thus filling out his own I-864.

What's confusing me is Part 5, sponsor's household size. My wife has two children. When filling out the I-864 for my wife, we put entered them in this section as depends, bringing the total household size to 4. But does the joint-sponsor (her father) fill in something for dependents? The question asks, "if YOU have dependent children, enter them here", but we're not referring to his dependents, but my wife's. Correspondingly, the box for "yourself" is also checked, even though that is supposed to be referring to my wife.

So what would be the total number for household size? 4 seems logical, as that's what our household size will be. But the use of the words "you" and "yourself" are throwing me off. Are we simply to take them to mean "the primary sponsor"?

Thanks,

Simmy

Feb 2010 - met online

March 2010 - vacationed in Mexico together

April 2010 - Samuel visits Catherine in US for one month

July to December 15, 2010- Samuel visits Catherine in US via B2 visa

August 10, 2010 - married in Medford, OR

September 10, 2010 - submitted AOS application via USPS Priority

September 13, 2010 - AOS package marked as delivered by USPS

September 20, 2010 - electronic notification received from Chicago lockbox

October 20, 2010 - biometrics appointment in Portland, OR

November 15, 2010 - Advanced Parole approved (took 66 days)

December 15, 2010 - January 18 -- Samuel and Catherine visit Samuel's friends in Canada

January 19, 2011 - AOS interview in Portland, OR -- interviewer gives verbal notice of approval (4 months since AOS submission)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The father completes an I-864 for himself would include all of his dependents plus the sponsored immigrant(s) in the household size.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Oh really? So the household size is really *his* household? I thought that the co-sponsor was effectively sponsoring the entire family (eg. my wife, myself, and her two kids).

Feb 2010 - met online

December 15, 2010 - January 18 -- Samuel and Catherine visit Samuel's friends in Canada

January 19, 2011 - AOS interview in Portland, OR -- interviewer gives verbal notice of approval (4 months since AOS submission)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You = immigrant, correct? If so the father is sponsoring you and needs to demonstrate enough income (and/or assets) to support his household plus you.

If your wife and her kids are US Citizens then they are not considered in the father's household unless he claimed them as dependents on his most recent tax return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Yes, I'm the immigrant. This makes a lot of sense. I had misunderstood the whole sponsor thing as to think that the co-sponsor would be sponsoring not just me but the also the wife and her kids.

Thank you very much for the clarification!

Feb 2010 - met online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.