Y&E

Dumb stuff Border Control does

20 posts in this topic

Just got back from the Social Security office. It turns out that the border control guy managed to put my name into the system as my first and middle names being just my first name. Still got my SSN but now need to deal with more rubbish at DHS trying to get that corrected. Checked my I94 and they are listed with a space as well as with a space in my passport. Interesting that they let a non-existent person into the country and allowed said person to receive a SSN! :thumbs:

Dumb stuff border control does..

When i came through philadelphia on my K1, after being sent into secondary clearing and waiting for an hour i got everything sorted and headed out to find my fiancee, as i was leaving to go through customs a officer checks my passport and asked "when are you getting married?" i told the guy and he said "thats cutting it a bit fine".

I thought to myself, but its only 26 days away how can that be cutting it fine?

I looked at him in confusion and said, "Why?"

He said "You only have 30 days to get married!" (with a very serious look on his face).

I said " no, i have 90 days to get married"

He looked utterly confused that i had dared to challenge his knowledge, even though he was COMPLETELY WRONG..

He said in a very stern voice "You have 30 days to get married!"

I said again " no, i have 90 days to get married", at this point i was utterly confused by the situation, i was tired annoyed and just wanted a smoke.. dont you just love it how people get when they are wrong.. I opened my passport to my K1 visa where it clearly states 90 days and showed him.. then walked away without further discussion. I was expecting to be dragged back into secondary clearing but nothing happened.. How can he blatently give out false infomation.? :whistle:

All i can say is its a good job they all know the ins and outs of the immigration process :unsure:

Edited by nickm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just got back from the Social Security office. It turns out that the border control guy managed to put my name into the system as my first and middle names being just my first name. Still got my SSN but now need to deal with more rubbish at DHS trying to get that corrected. Checked my I94 and they are listed with a space as well as with a space in my passport. Interesting that they let a non-existent person into the country and allowed said person to receive a SSN! :thumbs:

I had one letter of my surname spelled wrongly (My surname has 4 letters so that was too difficult for them)

An expert VJ member pointed out that one letter wrong can be corrected quickly at the office. I showed them the regulation and they did it. It saved me months of correcting it which would have meant no driver's license

You could say they have done one wrong on yours in that they didn't put a space between your first and middle names.

That is 1 character wrong

Try it - it might save you 6 weeks

What illiterate apes they are

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Did you fill out the I-94 with first and middle all on line 2? I was curious because the I-94 only has lines for

1. Family Name

2. First (Given) Name

and the bottom of the card has

18. Family Name

19. First (Given) Name

At SS office we filled out the form for First, Middle, and Last name. They said they could only give the card in the exact name that appeared on the I-94, which was First and Last. So weird the different stories you get from all the SS offices.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I saw one person who answered a question 'n/a' and when they got their green card it said their country was 'Netherlands Antilles'

I kid you not

the ape creatures of the indus valley could do a better job

moresheep400100.jpg

Got to love US bureaucrats! I managed to get in touch with Customs and Border Control and I just have to fax the relevant pages of my PP / Visa and I-94 and they're going to fix the system.

Yes, I did put First, Middle and Surname but I had a space between first and middle. I take 'given' name to mean your full given name as I take 'christian' name to be the name I was christened with. I guess that I'm not up with the play when it comes to US bureaucratic conventions. I would have thought the I-94 should reflect the info given in your PP / Visa though. The guy at SSO said to me, is this your first name or first and middle? I told him first and middle and he didn't have an issue with it. I went back in to get my number and that's when the District Manager told me about the mistake. I'd never have known otherwise.

Do you think it's an issue for AOS since all that paperwork asks for your middle name as well? If you're SSN doesn't have a middle name doesn't that make it easier to use one fraudulently? It would be interesting to pose this to someone in charge. I harassed the poor guy at USCIS on the phone about giving a SSN to a non-existent person and letting the non-existent person into the country :)

Timeline

Got to love US bureaucrats! I managed to get in touch with Customs and Border Control and I just have to fax the relevant pages of my PP / Visa and I-94 and they're going to fix the system.

Yes, I did put First, Middle and Surname but I had a space between first and middle. I take 'given' name to mean your full given name as I take 'christian' name to be the name I was christened with. I guess that I'm not up with the play when it comes to US bureaucratic conventions. I would have thought the I-94 should reflect the info given in your PP / Visa though. The guy at SSO said to me, is this your first name or first and middle? I told him first and middle and he didn't have an issue with it. I went back in to get my number and that's when the District Manager told me about the mistake. I'd never have known otherwise.

Do you think it's an issue for AOS since all that paperwork asks for your middle name as well? If you're SSN doesn't have a middle name doesn't that make it easier to use one fraudulently? It would be interesting to pose this to someone in charge. I harassed the poor guy at USCIS on the phone about giving a SSN to a non-existent person and letting the non-existent person into the country :)

Neither my mother nor father had middle names so that's not unusual. (they couldn't afford them)

In the US - the most Christian of countries - they have to avoid religious references because their Constitution forbids it - so they don't say 'Christian name ' on official stuff

I will do the 'so help me god' when I naturalize as they put you through hoops and have delayed special ceremonies otherwise

The whole deal is contradictory and hypocritical. One minute they say the Constitution guarantees you any religion or non. The next minute they have you swearing to god and in god we trust etc. You will get used to it.

It's a new country and they don't have it all sorted out

Make sure you get this sorted now and before AOS or it will bite you later and you will get 'Elvis Armordinnerjacket' on your GC

Don't believe anyone and get it all in writing

moresheep400100.jpg

Do you think it's an issue for AOS since all that paperwork asks for your middle name as well? If you're SSN doesn't have a middle name doesn't that make it easier to use one fraudulently? It would be interesting to pose this to someone in charge.

My husband has no middle name on his Social Security card (for the reasons given above.) It had no effect on the AOS process. He applied with first, middle, last like the forms ask for. His AP document has all three names. His green card has First name, Middle initial, Last name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My husband has no middle name on his Social Security card (for the reasons given above.) It had no effect on the AOS process. He applied with first, middle, last like the forms ask for. His AP document has all three names. His green card has First name, Middle initial, Last name.

I didn't think that it would be a problem, but I think it's an interesting issue because of how 'security' conscious they are over here. You'd think that ALL documentation would have to carry a full name or at least the exact same name.

Timeline

I didn't think that it would be a problem, but I think it's an interesting issue because of how 'security' conscious they are over here. You'd think that ALL documentation would have to carry a full name or at least the exact same name.

There are 12 million illegals and half of them have 3 forged documents which work fine...

moresheep400100.jpg

I don't think these systems are very sophisticated... 7 months AFTER I had changed my name due to a divorce, somebody stole my identity and used my SSN and my FORMER married name to take out a loan that ended up in default and on my credit report. I sent them a nasty letter asking why a company would allow somebody to borrow money using a SSN that doesn't officially match the name (I got no response....). I know this wasn't related to immigration, but it makes me think that the presence or absence of a middle name would not be much of an issue.

USCIS

02-25-11 Sent I-130

03-01-11 NOA1 Priority Date

03-04-11 NOA1 Email/text

03-07-11 Check cashed

03-09-11 NOA1 hard copy

06-16-11 NOA2 Email/text (107 Days! Yaay!)

06-21-11 NOA2 hard copy

Detour

06-21-11 Informed USCIS of their error: they wrongly thought we were adjusting status so they held the petition and didn't forward it to NVC

06-30-11 Expedited service request granted to forward petition to NVC

08-02-11 Congressional Inquiry to get USCIS to finally forward petition to NVC

08-05-11 USCIS admits our file was routed to National Records Center and will expedite its return and forward to NVC

08-23-11 Congressman's office informs me that file is FINALLY on its way to NVC! Woohoo!!

NVC

08-22-11 Received by NVC

09-19-11 Case # Assigned. Emailed DS-3032.

09-22-11 AOS Bill Invoiced/Paid. DS-3032 Received. Emailed DS-3032 again.

09-26-11 AOS Invoice marked Paid. I-864 Mailed. DS-3032 Accepted.

09-27-11 IV Bill Invoiced/Paid.

09-28-11 IV Invoice marked Paid. DS-230 Mailed. I-864 Delivered.

09-30-11 DS-230 Delivered. NVC operator says I-864 approved!

10-06-11 Medical

Timeline

I don't think these systems are very sophisticated... 7 months AFTER I had changed my name due to a divorce, somebody stole my identity and used my SSN and my FORMER married name to take out a loan that ended up in default and on my credit report. I sent them a nasty letter asking why a company would allow somebody to borrow money using a SSN that doesn't officially match the name (I got no response....). I know this wasn't related to immigration, but it makes me think that the presence or absence of a middle name would not be much of an issue.

My wife works on personnel computer programs and told me all the documents needed for new workers in order to prove they are allowed to work in the US.

The illegals MUST produce all sorts of documents and they do ! They are really easy to forge.

The government quite happily accept that an individual with a single SS number is working at 1257 jobs at the same time !

This has to be govt complicity as any computer system could detect this forgery stuff if they wanted to

The guys at my rifle club say I should have spent 500 dollars on these forged documents and driven across the Mexican border.

A worker at the factory 1 mile away was told his SS number was invalid so he pulled out a different one with a different name and gave them that and said "my mistake, I gave you the wrong name and SS number ! " - the firm accepted it ! He is suing the company now for health and safety which hurt his arm.

It's incredible. It's unbelievable - but this is all out of my local newspaper !

moresheep400100.jpg

It's crazy how often they mess these little things up.

When I went to get my SSN sorted out, they said they couldn't find me under the K1 status, and that when I went through border control, the guy processed me under a Student visa. I have no idea how this happened, because we had a lengthy talk about my visa. So I made an infopass appointment to get my status changed back over, but when I got there, they told me I was entered under a Tourist visa (B2). They said they couldn't do anything about it, because they were "immigration" and not "border control". So I had to go back to the airport I entered at, and get them to change it on their systems, and then wait 2 weeks and go back to the SSO.

:bonk:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.