astronaut

News coverage re: immigration bothering you too?

44 posts in this topic

Good Morning Wonder-Full VJers,

I am needing to express my opinion as well.

Being stopped and asked for papers because one has brown skin is completely unconstitutional.

It is racist.

It is ridiculous.

Let's face it, there are blond, blue eyed undocumented workers too.

The prisons are full of brown skinned people who did nothing more then look different from what is considered innocent.

(see stats on colour ratios in U.S. prisons...it's appalling)

Okay, here's the thing...well two things:

1. Employers should be fined and jailed that are hiring undocumented workers. Case closed.

(People have always been opportunistic and survivors.)

2. I have had more anguish crossing the border between Canada and the U.S. since I became a resident.

BUGGERS!!! (If I could go back to just being a guest/visitor, I would. That used to be fun at the checkpoints.)

Strong statements?

Yup.

BTW, I'm olive-skinned and get really dark when exposed to our glorious sun...as I am now. Greek heritage.

:star:

PS I do not use the word "illegal" when it come to human beings as we were all born on this planet making us all have a right to be here...wherever we choose to roam.

(F) (F) (L)(F) (F)

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I actually feel sorry for many but not all of the illegals (don't hurt me!). I live in a state that has one of the largest percentages of illegals. It seems to me they work like dogs for low wages at jobs that no one else will take. They send every possible cent back to their home countries to support their families. They rarely get to see those families and are always looking over their shoulder for the Immigration Boogie Man. Can you imagine how tough things must be back home to take that gamble?

On the other hand, like most of you, I really resent the way I have been treated by the USCIS. I have never had so much as a parking ticket in my life and yet I feel as I've been put through the wringer. I am at the naturalization phase now but so far, let's see, I've waited five years, spent thousands of dollars, completed mountains of paperwork, undergone a police background check plus FBI checks, had a full cavity search of my finances, had a five hour (!!!) physical, three interviews, and eight rounds of biometrics (don't ask!). On top of everything else, I was unlucky inthat the USCIS made two horrible errors during this process, errors that I had to run around and get fixed at my own expense. I've had to use a senator, a congresswoman, and the Homeland Secuirty Ombudsman to intervene on my behalf. Oh and lest I forget, the USCIS "helpline" is effing useless.

As I've said before on this forum, I don't expect immigration to be easy or speedy nor do I think it is my right to become an American. I just want to be treated fairly, consistently, and with respect.

I have a bit of an "in" with the local newspaper and when all is said and done, I'm hoping to have an editoral printed titled "An Open Letter to Janet Napolitano" whereby I will offer to work fulltime for immigration reform at no expense to the government.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

Jo-Anne

Filed: Other Timeline

Good Morning Wonder-Full VJers,

I am needing to express my opinion as well.

Being stopped and asked for papers because one has brown skin is completely unconstitutional.

It is racist.

It is ridiculous.

Let's face it, there are blond, blue eyed undocumented workers too.

The prisons are full of brown skinned people who did nothing more then look different from what is considered innocent.

(see stats on colour ratios in U.S. prisons...it's appalling)

Okay, here's the thing...well two things:

1. Employers should be fined and jailed that are hiring undocumented workers. Case closed.

(People have always been opportunistic and survivors.)

2. I have had more anguish crossing the border between Canada and the U.S. since I became a resident.

BUGGERS!!! (If I could go back to just being a guest/visitor, I would. That used to be fun at the checkpoints.)

Strong statements?

Yup.

BTW, I'm olive-skinned and get really dark when exposed to our glorious sun...as I am now. Greek heritage.

PS I do not use the word "illegal" when it come to human beings as we were all born on this planet making us all have a right to be here...wherever we choose to roam.

(F) (F) (L)(F) (F)

Spirit-Very well put, indeed! :thumbs:

What you said summarizes my thoughts on the issue too.....

I agree, they shouldn't discriminate and/or treat others badly just because of the colour of their skin and/or origin....

That's the part that makes it unconsitutional....

And hence, that's what the protesting is all about....'racial profiling' for those assumed to be illegal....which is wrong.

Sad, really, what America as come to...:(

As for legal residents.....Ummm...Isn't there some sort of rule that says that they are supposed to 'carry their green cards at all times'....

So if one is legal here and has the proper documentation, then there shouldn't be any problems at all for them....

So why make it harder for those who are legal and/or are in the midst of pursuing to be legal? Unfair here too....

Lol..I'm pretty sure we've all had our share of USCIS difficulties (been there, done that here too...lol..)....

It's not fair that those who are legally here that have been through/are going through the lengthy and expensive immigration process have to be further discriminated against, just because of the illegals/fraud cases that make it harder throughout the immigration process...

"One bad apple (lol..or in this case, millions of bad apples of illegal immigrants...spoils the bunch)....Unfortunate...:(

Sigh...Immigration reform is definitely needed here in America!

Ant

P.S. I agree with someone else's point on this thread...There should be more talk about legal immigration instead of illegal immigration...There should be more good news instead of bad news in the world today!...

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I was under the impression that it is only after a routine or otherwise sanctioned stop/arrest that someone could be asked for their proof of residency. Much like asking someone, who has already been pulled over for failing to stop at a light/what have you, to see their license and registration.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i dont think there is anyway to stop them form randomly picking out people to check..either they would have to ask EVERYONE for id..or ask NOONE...there is a fine line by picking and choosing and everyone, one way or another, will have negative feedback on it.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

"I was under the impression that it is only after a routine or otherwise sanctioned stop/arrest that someone could be asked for their proof of residency. Much like asking someone, who has already been pulled over for failing to stop at a light/what have you, to see their license and registration."

I believe it is. And if the police are pulling someone over or are involved for some other reason and the person does not speak english and cannot provide the proper id, then their immigration status should be questioned. Also, did you know that in the state of Virginia, police have been allowed to check immigration status for some time already. They are only making such a huge deal about this in Arizone because it's on the Mexico border.

"1. Employers should be fined and jailed that are hiring undocumented workers. Case closed.

(People have always been opportunistic and survivors.)"

That is totally true and a huge part of the problem.

"I actually feel sorry for many but not all of the illegals (don't hurt me!). I live in a state that has one of the largest percentages of illegals. It seems to me they work like dogs for low wages at jobs that no one else will take. They send every possible cent back to their home countries to support their families. They rarely get to see those families and are always looking over their shoulder for the Immigration Boogie Man. Can you imagine how tough things must be back home to take that gamble?"

There are so few countries in this world that are "easy" to live in. Many of the illegals do work like dogs for low wages because they need the money to send back home. Do you know how much money is sent OUT of this country every year to immigrants home countries? It's in the billions. There will never be an easy solution to immigration. It is because of the long process it takes to do it legally that people come here ilegally. I have sympathy for what it must be like to live in alot of the other countries around the world but at some point this country will be no better under the weight of supporting so many illegal immigrants who do not pay their way in taxes and medical care. And those billions of dollars being sent out of this country are not being spent in supporting this country.

And I totally agree with whoever said it would be nicer to hear the good stories about legal immigration and how to fix the system than it is to hear about the illegals all the time. My husband immigrated from Capetown, South Africa to B.C., Canada 13 years ago (and is a Canadian citizen) and now to the States and has done it the right way both times and is proud of that.

Edited by kaya541

Forgive me for being ignorant of what information comes up when a cop runs someone's license, but considering I had to apply with all of the proof and whatnot to get a license in the first place, won't it come up that I'm a non-US citizen? Or, if that may be the case, that I am?

02/10/2012 - Touch.

09/21/2012 - Touch.

Mahalo Ant!

Every One please forgive my strong statements if they felt offensive to you in any way.

Not my intention.

I am into INCLUSIVITY as opposed to EXCLUSIVITY. (L) (L) (L)

Still....the thought of being asked for papers because one happens to be unwhite is unethical, dangerous, inhumane, and demeaning.

Bleh!

The blame is ABSOLUTELY on the person doing the hiring.

It is money driven and perhaps a hole was/is getting filled. Who knows for sure.

I mean seriously, all the jobs I've applied for and worked for (when I'm not freelancing), have asked for my "green card" and other I.D.

Who are these employers not asking???? Bah.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the state of Washington, whenever we hire a new employee we have to fill out a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification asking for proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the US. ALL new employees must fill this out, regardless of anything.

On a side note, it turns out the woman who had this position before me had immigrated from the Netherlands years ago and had never gotten her citizenship or renewed her green card properly. Only found this out after she left and yet she has gotten another job here in the area working for the city! Obviously they either didn't check or just didn't care.

Maybe I'll slap a couple of Canadian flags on my vehicle and go traveling to Arizona, or soon enough, down my own street here in Florida (as several of our lawmakers wish to pursue the same).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just fail to see why someone would be upset at asking for proof of their legal presence if they spent the time and money to obtain it.

I was also one of the ones who was disappointed whenever I wasn't carded when I finally turned 19. *shrug*

02/10/2012 - Touch.

09/21/2012 - Touch.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

(F) (F) (L)(F) (F)

Oh, good, another one of the 'let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya' good folks.

Try taking a trip into North Korea from the South Korean border. Or crossing into Pakistan from India. And then come back and tell us how your experience was. I'd also be interested to know if anyone bought your 'we're all children of this earth, like animals we can roam anywhere we feel like. I have a divine and inherent right to be here' schtick.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

'I just fail to see why someone would be upset at asking for proof of their legal presence if they spent the time and money to obtain it.'

I was carded yesterday for trying to buy a bottle of wine. I'm 23, and I don't think I look 18 anymore. Did I cry discrimination and be outraged over it (especially since I AM over the legal age)? No, I simply gave the cashier my passport, she checked the DOB and I was on my merry way. Matter of 20 seconds. If you're legal (or of legal age), then what is the need for all this fuss?

I am 23, I am of the legal age. I still produced my ID when called upon to do so. If you're legal, resident or USC, produce your ID and you'll be on your way.

In some cases, I believe 46 out of 50 states, a valid DL is only issued with proof of legal status. So those crying about how carrying a passport or BC on their person is a huge inconvenience, and that America is beginning to resemble a fascist state (ha!) -- your DL, in most cases, is all the proof you need.

I really think a National ID should be implemented soon.

Back to topic: What really pisses me off about the news coverage is they keep calling this the ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW. It's not an immigration law for *uck's sake! Arizona is not trying to control or regulate immigration (which by definition, is a LEGAL PROCESS) -- they are merely trying to implement existing Federal laws which mandate legal aliens to carry their registration cards on their person, at all times.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

I am curious to hear the voice of legal Mexican immigrants - what is their position and attitude towards the illegals? This is the group of people who all the anger should be directed towards.

On the human level...I disagree with the racism and discrimination this new law will foster...but where did everyone want them to start? Honestly people, put your thinking hats on...how would you design this fabulous law to weed out illegals? I am curious some days what the protests are about...is it because people don;t think it will be fair or are they pissed that they'll finally be found out? They should probably routinely check EVERYBODIES status when they have a stop situation. But for naturally born US citizens...what proof do you carry on a daily basis??? My husband has a driver's license...it doesn't say he was born in South Carolina. They'd have to overhaul driver's licenses to include your country of birth - how long do you suppose that would take?

So there in lies the problem, how to distinguish. For now the law is inadequate because it leaves it up to the officer who may not be a good judge of anything.

I can tell you that as a white, female Cdn, I'm lucky (and I know it)...no one will ever stop me to wonder if I'm illegal or not. I look American (whatever that means) I talk American too I suppose. But you know what, I wouldn't be offended for 1 darn minute if someone asked to confirm my status if I ever get stopped for speeding or a traffic violation because I have a valid greencard and the process to get where I am cost me good, hard earned $$$$. I didn't ignore the law, I followed the rules and that should be worth something.

My grandparents were immigrants to Canada and they came there legally - so I get what it means to be an immigrant, both for myself and from family experience.

Sorry - zero sympathy legal immigrants are directing their anger at the government when they should be directing it at the illiegals who have caused the problem. I have a huge problem with people coming into the country just to live off it, but not pay taxes properly or participate in society in any other way

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Well said

'I just fail to see why someone would be upset at asking for proof of their legal presence if they spent the time and money to obtain it.'

I was carded yesterday for trying to buy a bottle of wine. I'm 23, and I don't think I look 18 anymore. Did I cry discrimination and be outraged over it (especially since I AM over the legal age)? No, I simply gave the cashier my passport, she checked the DOB and I was on my merry way. Matter of 20 seconds. If you're legal (or of legal age), then what is the need for all this fuss?

I am 23, I am of the legal age. I still produced my ID when called upon to do so. If you're legal, resident or USC, produce your ID and you'll be on your way.

In some cases, I believe 46 out of 50 states, a valid DL is only issued with proof of legal status. So those crying about how carrying a passport or BC on their person is a huge inconvenience, and that America is beginning to resemble a fascist state (ha!) -- your DL, in most cases, is all the proof you need.

I really think a National ID should be implemented soon.

Back to topic: What really pisses me off about the news coverage is they keep calling this the ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW. It's not an immigration law for *uck's sake! Arizona is not trying to control or regulate immigration (which by definition, is a LEGAL PROCESS) -- they are merely trying to implement existing Federal laws which mandate legal aliens to carry their registration cards on their person, at all times.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I can tell you that as a white, female Cdn, I'm lucky (and I know it)...no one will ever stop me to wonder if I'm illegal or not. I look American (whatever that means) I talk American too I suppose. But you know what, I wouldn't be offended for 1 darn minute if someone asked to confirm my status if I ever get stopped for speeding or a traffic violation because I have a valid greencard and the process to get where I am cost me good, hard earned $$$$. I didn't ignore the law, I followed the rules and that should be worth something.

My grandparents were immigrants to Canada and they came there legally - so I get what it means to be an immigrant, both for myself and from family experience.

Sorry - zero sympathy legal immigrants are directing their anger at the government when they should be directing it at the illiegals who have caused the problem. I have a huge problem with people coming into the country just to live off it, but not pay taxes properly or participate in society in any other way

100% with you there.

I do find myself curious as to how a citizen would prove their status. My husband, and all of our spouses... they certainly don't carry around their birth certificate or passport. Which leads me once again to the curiosity as to what exactly an officer can see when they run someone's license.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

09/21/2012 - Touch.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.