Rose416

Montreal Review

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am home from Montreal now and just ripped up my Package 4 letter! It's nice to finally say goodbye to the Montreal Consulate!

I had my K1 interview on Tuesday, August 3rd, and here is a little info on my experience.

I hope you find it useful and comforting at the same time. The prep leading up to the interview is stressful and the waiting long and frustrating, but before you know it you'll be celebrating too!

OK..so my mom and I stayed at Hotel St. Denis on Rue St. Denis (www.hotel-st-denis.com). If you're a CAA member it's pretty affordable. We had a nice big room with two double beds and a big TV for $107/night. Very comfortable, quiet and close to the Consulate. I could have walked but opted to take a cab ride (4 minutes away, $6) on the day of my interview.

Rue St. Denis also has lots of affordable restaurants, including an Italian one next door to the hotel. Delicious tiramisu :thumbs:

On the dreaded Interview Day, I woke up at 5 got to the consulate for 6:20am and was the only one there until a handful of people showed up around 6:45. The line grew rapidly around 7. Get there early! The doors were unlocked at 7:30am. Have your passport and Package 4 letter ready and remember: no electronics or food is permitted. I had my file folder in a plastic bag and was allowed to bring in an umbrella.

First in line, I was sent to the waiting room downstairs (in the dark as they hadn't turned on any lights yet!) I was given a number and soon after called by security to enter the secondary waiting room. After a brief wait my name was announced on the speaker (make sure you sit on the left side of the room otherwise you can't hear the announcements).

At the booth I was asked for:

- Passport + 1 copy (doesn't need to be notarized)

- Long form birth certificate + 1 copy (same as above)

- Package 4 letter with scheduled interview date

- Criminal record for Canada and UK (I lived there for 18 months)

- 2 Passport pics

- Recent letter of consent from Petitioner

- Affadavit of support/ co-sponsor + evidence of support (I had a photocopy of my fiance's birth certificate as they asked for proof of citizenship to back up support. Also incl., letter from employer, tax papers from 2009, signed letter from bank showing opening of account and activity, pay stubs.)

- Proof of domicile (rent agreement, recent hydro bill and visa bill)

- my massive Expresspost envelope (12*15) with my address filled in (don't put the consulates address)

- sealed medical results (they didn't ask for the x-ray. Why the heck do we have to carry that thing around then?!?!)

They didn't ask for any evidence of a relationship. I had email printouts and photos just in case.

I was asked if I had the printouts of form DS-160 (I only included the confirmation page when I sent in Package 3 as I had printer issues and didn't want to redo the form.)They didn't seem to mind that I didn't have it however.

I was then asked to go to the cashier and pay the $350 US. You are allowed to pay with credit cards or the Canadian equivalency. After this I waited again, until I was called back to my original booth to show my receipt and scan my fingerprints. Easy.

All of this was completed by 8:30am. Then the fun really began. The people I had waited outside with (early arrivals) started being called in for interviews (one guy was there for a k3 interview and others were receiving immigration). As the time rolled on and people came and went I started to get nervous. Did they forget about me? Why the heck am I still waiting at 10:30am? I thought I would be done and back at the hotel for breakfast by 9:30!! I noticed another couple who had been waiting since 7:30am. They were also k1-ers and equally nervous/annoyed. There are no phones in the consulate and only a couple of vending machines, so as the clock struck noon I was getting hungry and concerned for my worried mom and fiance (waiting for my news in California).

Finally at around 12:30 I was called up to another booth. At this point I was one of the half-dozen left in the once packed waiting room. I was told that I was a 'guinea pig' as the staff gets accustomed to a new K1 program. I suppose this is why there were no July interviews?? I had to stand at the window for 10 minutes while a group of people went over my file together and took notes for their own reference. Everyone was being really nice and apologetic and even joked with me about the whole thing.

So by the time I was called into the interview room at 1:15pm I was no longer nervous. I took an oath, and answered the simple questions. My interviewer was very friendly and joked about my fiance being a body builder in Venice beach (he isn't). He asked how we met and what my fiance does for work. He questioned my passport as I travelled lots before and have many stamps! We talked about the UK because he used to live there and he asked what I did for work while I was there on a working-holiday visa. He asked if I was ready to 'settle down'. YES!!!! He asked what I did for work and if we had our wedding date booked. Then, 5 minutes later he congratulated me for my visa being approved. I asked if it could be expedited (a K3er was told to come back tomorrow to pick up his passport) but this was nicely denied. He assured me it would be in my hands soon.

That's about it! 7 hours of waiting for a 5 minute interview! I am so happy it's over and wish you all the best of luck.

my thoughts for you is : eat a big breakfast before hand and bring a good book! Also, breathe!! You're going to do fine :dance:

At the end of the day I got a piece of paper from the consulate congratulating me on my engagement. Next week I will be with my fiance to finally celebrate and put all of this waiting and separation behind us.

Finally! :rofl:

AOS

POE @ Toronto Pearson - 08/12/10

Civil Ceremony - 08/27/10

Applied for SSN in married name - 09/06/10 (I was told it will take 4 weeks to get the background check cleared and an additional 2 weeks to receive my card)

AOS/EAD/AP sent with FedEx - 09/25/10

E-Notice From Chicago - 10/05/10

I-797C, NOA1 Received - 10/08/10

SSN card received (FINALLY!)- 10/23/10

Biometrics appointment - 10/28/10

EAD Approved - 11/19/10 (USCIS Website Notice)

AP Approved & Received - 11/22/10

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Interview - 02/07/11 APPROVED!

I am now a U.S. Permanent Resident!!

My K1 Journey can be found on the 'About Me' page

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats! I hope with new DS-160 form things will be quicker and easier. Now you have me worried because I am the only other person I have heard of recently who only had to fill out that form!... oh well, note to self, bring a book haha.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the approval :)

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats :dance::dance:

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Congrats! I

hope with new DS-160 form things will be quicker and easier. Now you have me worried because I am the only other person I have heard of recently who only had to fill out that form!... oh well, note to self, bring a book haha.

I filled that out too, along with the DS156 and DS156K.

Great review of your interview experience. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I filled that out too, along with the DS156 and DS156K.

Great review of your interview experience. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. :)

I know a lot of people filled it out... but I was not asked to fill out DS-156/K and everyone else was. Sorry that's what I meant with my comment.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Thank you so much!

AOS

Applied for SSN in married name - 09/06/10 (I was told it will take 4 weeks to get the background check cleared and an additional 2 weeks to receive my card)

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Rose416 for the great review! Congratulations again! Now I know what to expect on Monday! When are you planning on POEing?

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

I was told my visa should be here by next Monday or Tuesday, so I'd like to fly to LA on Thursday. I haven't booked my flight yet. My POE will be Toronto Pearson and I plan on giving myself plenty of time. I cannot wait! We're hoping to have our civil ceremony and a celebration with friends on August 27th. None of this is going to feel real until I am in his arms again (: I'm dreaming!!

AOS

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Timeline

Huge congrats on the approval!

AOS/EAD/AP

Filing Location: Chicago Lockbox

Local USCIS Office: Philadelphia, PA

AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent: 2010-12-06

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 2010-12-14

RFE(s):

AOS Case Transferred to CSC: 2010-01-14

Biometrics Letter Received: UNDELIVERABLE--hopefully will be resent soon

Biometrics Appointment:

www.justputitinwriting.blogspot.com

Congratulations, I'm glad everything went smoothly for you! I can't wait until I'm at that point in the process. Seems like forever away.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.