mikumi

Reentry permit recent information

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Update my information.

I applied for reentry permit on Sep 13th, 2010 in NYC.

I got a letter from US Embassy in Tokyo on Mar 12th 2011 that they are finally ready for it.

So, it took me 6months to finish it ! Although mostly I just needed to wait wait wait...

Thank you all for your help and advice.

mikumi

• 1 month later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

hi, leannetromp

I am not exactly sure though, you may have possibility to not get into US.

It could depends on the immigration officer you will see at the airport.

You may want to ask / search story from many people like your situation.

I don't have exact information, sorry.

mikumi

mikumi,

Did you end up picking up your re-entry permit at Consulate/Embassy of USA in Japan??

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update my process for reentry permit and answer questions.

Question from amorie -

I went to US Embassy in Tokyo and got the Re entry permit in my hand on May 19th.

Question from davidid,

I just walked in the biometrics.

The important thing is that you have the appointment paper from the immigration.

They don"t care the appointment date. I went there for biometrics more than 2weeks before the appointment, but

nobody asked me any questions about the date.

I didn't check any status after that, I just waited for a letter.

I had biometrics in early Oct and finally got a letter on March 12th.

Once you finish the biometrics , I don"t think you need to worry so much.

Please make sure if you leave US after biometrics ( probably most cases are ), you make sure you ask them in the application to send the reentry permit to the embassy where you are,

not your house in US.

Hope these information helps!

mikumi

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi Mikumi,

Where was this place you went to expedite your biometrics, earlier than your appointment? Was it the Infopass office??????

Bob,

Thank you for your concern.

I have 10years green card and applying for reentry permit to live in japan for a while.

Sep 30th, I got biometrics appointment letter ( almost 3weeks after my application)

The appointment dated on Oct 22nd, but I am leaving japan before, so will just go to get biometrics next week.

Hope they don't question about scheduled date,,,

I guess reentry permit can be done within a month, but still takes 3-4weeks...

Thank you all for your help.

mikumi

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR

December 2005 - Met for the first time at a christmas party

Year of 2006 - I'm traveling back and forth several times to visit

October-December 2006 - I stay in New York for 3 months on tourist visa

February 2007 - Brandon flies out to Denmark to visit and meet my family

March-June 2007 - I stay in New York for 3 months on tourist visa

October 2007 - I go to New York to stay for another 3 months.......but on

November 10th 2007 - Brandon asks me to marry him!!! ENGAGED!!!!

November 21st 2007 - MARRIED!!!!!!

December 26th 2007 - Sent off I-130 and AOS package

January 7th 2008 - NOA's received

January 14th 2008 - Biometrics letter received

January 19th 2008 - RFE received, on form I-864

January 25th 2008 - Biometrics appointment

February 13th 2008 - RFE sent back

March 14th 2008 - EAD Card production ordered

March 15th 2008 - EAD card received

March 17th 2008 - SSN ordered

March 26th 2008 - SSN received

March 29th 2008 - INTERVIEW LETTER RECEIVED

May 6th 2008 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katherine: If you want to do your biometrics earlier than on the scheduled date, you just walk into the application support center you were assigned to on any given day, and see if they will let you do biometrics though you are not scheduled for that day. Some places allow walk ins regularly, others tend to deny them. I tried a walk in first in Brooklyn ASC, couldn't get it done. Then I went to the Manhattan Varick street location, and they let me do a walk in biometrics there with no hassle. So you just go and try - won't cost you anything besides time.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

• 8 months later...
Timeline

Hi there. I realize this post is a bit old and chances are you might not see this message, but i wanted to try because I am in a similar situation.

I am American and my wife is Japanese. We had been living in the US for about 2 years. My wife was using her 2 year green card until we got the notification in the mail that it was time for her to remove the restrictions on her 10 year green card. We scheduled a biometrics test, she took it and we were told to wait for new green card in the mail. Although we don't have the proper 10 year green card, we have the documentation from USCUS saying that the petition to remove conditions is processing which is to be used in the place of the 10 year green card until it arrives,

About a month into the waiting process, I took a job in Japan and we moved rather suddenly. Before moving, we filed the paperwork and paid the 360 for the I-131 Application for Travel. However, because we had just taken a biometrics test for her 10 year green card and because the process was still "pending" at the time we moved to Japan, we didn't think they would ask us to take the biometrics test agin, but we were wrong.

We recently got a notice in the mail asking for us to pay the 85 dollars for the biometrics test or our application for the i-131 would be denied.

As we just arrived to Japan, we aren't excited about having to go back to the US just for fingerprints.

- We have 87 days to make the payment for biometrics test, so we are thinking to wait until the last minute to pay. Then, once the biometrics test is scheduled, we thought maybe we could reschedule the appointment, (once maybe twice) to buy us some more time. At that point, maybe we could just bite the bullet and return. ( Of course we would return within the 1 year mark)

- A more ideal route would be to some how file a request for the USCIC to use the same biometrics test that was used when we filled the petition to remove conditions of visa (i,.e when we applied for the 10 year green card.) The fact that we literally did this one month prior to when the notice for the I-131 Biometrics notice was sent and that it's still "processing" seemed to be reason enough that they wouldn't ask for us to take the biometrics test again. Wishful thinking, I know, but has anyone had any luck with anything like this.

-Another idea route would be to take the biometrics at the US Embassy in Tokyo, Japan. From what I gather, this isn't possible, but does anyone have any information that says otherwise?

Thanks for any insight or feedback anyone might be able to offer.

Thanks,

Spencer

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I applied for the re-entry permit in the last week of June 2012 and got the appointment for biometrics on July 25th 2012.

I walked into the ASC with an infopass to get past security on July 19th 2012. However, I walked into the biometrics department instead of the infopass counters after getting past security and they accepted my application and got my biometrics done.

I have yet to see any touches on my case and it remains in acceptance. Is this normal? I can't seem to find any timeline threads for I-131 at this point.

Hopefully this will be the thread for the timelines.

I got my GC based on an F2B which later converted to an F2A. It took close to 10yrs during which I tried applying for the DV unsuccessfully. My GF who is a first time applicant got selected for DV2015! We're keeping our fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I applied for the re-entry permit in the last week of June 2012. I got a notice dated July 3rd that described how my case will be processed (not much info there). I subsequently got the appointment for biometrics on July 25th 2012.

I walked into the ASC with an infopass to get past security on July 19th 2012. However, I walked into the biometrics department instead of the infopass counters after getting past security and they accepted my application and got my biometrics done.

I have yet to see any touches on my case and it remains in acceptance. It's been more than 3 months and as per the processing times at Nebraska, it should take 3 months.

I got my GC based on an F2B which later converted to an F2A. It took close to 10yrs during which I tried applying for the DV unsuccessfully. My GF who is a first time applicant got selected for DV2015! We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.