Hendea3

Nexus Pass

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Way back when...when I applied and received my Nexus pass I remember the officer telling me that a certain point in the i-129f/k-1 process I was no longer allowed to use my Nexus pass and if I did it could be confiscated. My question is, which point is that???

I enter the US 2-3 out of 4 weekends a month and since I cross in the Niagara region the borders are PACKED during these summer months. My I-129F petition was approved and I'm currently awaiting my P4/interview date. I have been using my Nexus card and no one has said anything yet but I'm worried one day i may be repremanded and have it taken from me.

Does anyone know until what point I'm allowed using the Nexus card?????

Thansk in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a Nexus card too and in fact, was just reviewing the paperwork that came with it yesterday. I was never told nor did I read anything about not being able to use it during the K1 process. IMHO, I don't see any reason why you can't use it up until you actually move to the USA.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Timeline

Weird. I never noticed a reference to not being able to use it under those circumstances, either. Could be one of those misinterpretation of policy (on the officer's behalf) that sometimes happens. Take a look in the booklets that they gave you to make sure we're not missing something.

iagree.gif

Interesting question. It never dawned on me that they could do that. I use it about 2x a month to cross as well, but nothing has ever been said. I think we can still use it after AOS as well, but need to change our address.

Let me know what they tell you!

OUR TIMELINE AND K1 JOURNEY

Sept 4, 2009...We meet in Toronto, Canada at a Kid Rock concert
Feb 19, 2010...NOA1 recieved in mail
May 19, 2010...NOA2 (92 days)
Sept 24, 2010...Interview! APPROVED! smile.png
Oct 29, 2010...POE--Buffalo, NY
Nov 10, 2010...Courthouse wedding in NY state
Dec 11, 2010...Beach wedding in Hawaii

Dec 09, 2010...NOA for AOS, EAD, AP
Feb 11, 2011...AOS & EAD approved smile.png
Feb 12, 2011...AP approved smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received GREEN CARD smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received AP
Feb 22, 2011...Received EAD

Nov 09, 2012...Sent in I-751, Removal of Conditions
Nov 14, 2011...NOA1
Dec 18, 2012...Biometrics

May 03, 2013...10 year GREEN CARD approved! yes.gif

Timeline

Well teh 1st number I posted I was not able to get a "human" but it did refer to another number (based on your residing Province) for me it was 1-800-842-7647.....I called and asked adn she was under the impression that I could use until I receive my VISA. But she admitted she was not 100% sure...I think that more of a question for a CBP officer....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't have to give it up, I have been a U.S. permanent resident for over 2 years now and still have my Nexus card. I cross the border to go to work every day and use it on my way back home every day. Once I activated my Visa I went into the Nexus office and gave them on my U.S. information, alien # etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good information to know...there isn't much info about the Nexus card on the Internet, eh?

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

I was more afraid that I would have to stop using it for awhile...Ie. while my K-1 was pending I wasn't sure if being a K-1 that it would increase me to a high risk traveller.

I finally got through to someone last night and they said htat I can use my card but to note that it is risky to travel while going through the K1 process as they will assume that you are going to want to stay. I tried to make a joke to teh effect after the hoops we jump through for this process I wouldn't abandon it now ...but it didn't go over so well :s (Its ok becasue there was no name/pass #/case# given so I was anonymous....)

He basically said if you insist to travel during the process (he was quite against this) then ensure that you carry all the proof with you that show your ties to canada and intent to return home, and please ntoe that you may be denied entry. Other than that he said I was free to use the Nexus pass...other than when entering in on the K1 ofcourse.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Other than that he said I was free to use the Nexus pass...other than when entering in on the K1 ofcourse.

My fiance (now husband) used his NEXUS card to enter the day he activated his K-1. He had called ahead to Port Huron and they said that it was okay, just to tell the border guard so send you to secondary. The border guard was like "you can't do that" but my fiance (now husband) said "I called and they said I could". The border guard gave him whatever my fiance (now husband) needed to go to secondary and said, "Okay, I don't make the rules." and sent my fiance to secondary.

USE YOUR NEXUS card! It makes the wait so much more bearable to get in the U.S.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.