littlelady7891

Question for affidavit of support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all!! I filed the I-130 for my husband and am now gathering documents for the affidavit of support. I was working at the time we sent in the I-130 but I am now unemployed. My sister who lives in USA is willing to sponsor my husband, she's a business owner and just started this month. She has not filed for taxes, obviously since she was unemployed and had not started her business, so can she still sponsor my husband even though she hasn't filed?? If so, do I leave the box unchecked on question #25 of the I-864???

This is what #25 says: "I have filed a Federal tax return for each of the three most recent tax years. I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my Federal tax return for only the most recent tax year. My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent three years was: "

Also, do I need to fill out a I-864 myself even though I won't be sponsoring my husband at all in any way?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ypou are still the primary sponsor, even if you have no money so yes, you need to file a I-864.

If your sister made so little that she was not required to file taxes, she should instead write and sign a letter saying so. However, how will she sponsor your husband if not on income? She will need to proof she has the assets necessary, or that her business is so successful it already makes enough money to support her household plus the immigrant.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Ypou are still the primary sponsor, even if you have no money so yes, you need to file a I-864.

If your sister made so little that she was not required to file taxes, she should instead write and sign a letter saying so. However, how will she sponsor your husband if not on income? She will need to proof she has the assets necessary, or that her business is so successful it already makes enough money to support her household plus the immigrant.

Thanks for you reply! Ok, so even if I am unemployed, I still have to fill out a I-864? She hasn't filed taxes because she hasn't worked and now just started a business which is already getting very good income and seems to be successful enough to support her, her child and my husband (the immigrant). How can she prove she is making enough money if she hasn't filed taxes? Can she just make a letter stating why she hasn't filed taxes (hasn't worked and hasnt completed a year to file taxes for her business)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes as mentioned, you are still primary sponsor and need to file the I-864.

The letter will be fine to explain why she didn't need to file taxes before, but she will need more than that to prove current income. I am not quite sure how as it is such a new business, you may want to start a new topic asking specifically about "how to prove income of newly self-employed" or similar. To be honest, I think they may be a bit suspicious of how someone goes from no income at all (and not enough assets to pay taxes on either) to making enough for a household of three people within a few months. Some suggestions would be evaluation and deeds of any business premises she owns (=assets), bank statements showing regular money coming in, letters from customers stating they have, and will again regularly in the future, buy from her etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Yes as mentioned, you are still primary sponsor and need to file the I-864.

The letter will be fine to explain why she didn't need to file taxes before, but she will need more than that to prove current income. I am not quite sure how as it is such a new business, you may want to start a new topic asking specifically about "how to prove income of newly self-employed" or similar. To be honest, I think they may be a bit suspicious of how someone goes from no income at all (and not enough assets to pay taxes on either) to making enough for a household of three people within a few months. Some suggestions would be evaluation and deeds of any business premises she owns (=assets), bank statements showing regular money coming in, letters from customers stating they have, and will again regularly in the future, buy from her etc.

Ok. Well she is receiving monthly checks from her husband (they are separated) and she has been saving up to start her business, she's a contractor. I was thinking maybe she could send in copies of checks she's received from the contracts (jobs) she gets and as you said, letters from other contractors that have worked with her before stating they will work with her again. Thank you very much. Your advice has been VERY helpful!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.