jj1028

3 mos. state residency requirement

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am eligible to naturalize in January 2011, we are planning a 2 mos. vacation (Oct-Dec) in my home country. Can i go on a vacation prior to filing? I am a little confused as there is a 3 mos. state residency requirement, I am not sure if that means i have to be here 3 mos. prior to filing. Ive been residing here in texas for almost 3 yrs.

Not sure where you are getting the 3 month state residency requirement. I have not seen that one... However, leaving for vacation for 2 months does

not end or suspend your resident status. That is certainly acceptable by the immigration process. You will only have issues with immigration if you

exceed 6 months.

Regards,

No, the 3 month residency does not apply to traveling. It only applies when you move within the US and the new residence is serviced by a different district office. If so, then you will need to wait 3 months before you become eligible to apply for naturalization based on the new residence.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No, the 3 month residency does not apply to traveling. It only applies when you move within the US and the new residence is serviced by a different district office. If so, then you will need to wait 3 months before you become eligible to apply for naturalization based on the new residence.

What I always forget is whether that 3 month State residency is required all the way through to the ceremony (and some ceremonies are months after the interview)

It's probably a moot point as the process to transfer it halfway through is so sticky that it would take a long time.. but it would save the $675 as it's the same application ?

I agree that traveling prior to the application and indeed traveling DURING the processing of the application, is no problem so long as the total days in the 3 years/5 years are not exceeded

I am filing in 9 days and as soon as I get the fingerprints date I will book a 2 week holiday to start the day after...

the gap from fingerprints to interview is at least 6 weeks to allow CIA FBI MI5 M16, Secret Service and a personal conversation between O and god to take place.

come on ceremony so I can bin all this manure

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

What I always forget is whether that 3 month State residency is required all the way through to the ceremony (and some ceremonies are months after the interview)

It's probably a moot point as the process to transfer it halfway through is so sticky that it would take a long time.. but it would save the $675 as it's the same application ?

I agree that traveling prior to the application and indeed traveling DURING the processing of the application, is no problem so long as the total days in the 3 years/5 years are not exceeded

I am filing in 9 days and as soon as I get the fingerprints date I will book a 2 week holiday to start the day after...

the gap from fingerprints to interview is at least 6 weeks to allow CIA FBI MI5 M16, Secret Service and a personal conversation between O and god to take place.

come on ceremony so I can bin all this manure

So the 3 months are required when the oath is taken or when the application is filed?

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Certainly would be a problem if say you lived on State Line Road in Kansas City, MO, and moved across the street, if the date you moved is the day that you finally met the minimum time requires for both marriage and/or anniversary date of your green card. That is when you have to add three more months to your filing date, and that is three months, not 90 days.

Seems to be some issues going on today as to whether immigration is a federal or a state issue, we can assume with the USCIS it is both. Even though on your certificate, no current address is listed, just the place where the ceremony took effect, and that like in our case, won't even be in the state where you are a resident of. Sure there are good reasons for this ruling, has to be, or the USCIS wouldn't make this ruling. Just can't seem to think of any good logical reasons, but that is my deficiency.

Regarding oath your oath ceremony, of the eight questions asked, none of them deal with changing your address, so I think its okay to move between your interview and oath ceremony. But really don't know for sure. Just know that since my wife got her certificate, either of us have to report any moves, even across the street.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.