TnJ

What are the chances...met on Filipina Heart and have 2 convictions?

14 posts in this topic

Hi...I am new here. I have been reading things concerning my question, and I am getting bits and pieces. Like everyone else, my situation is unique. Maybe, it isn't a big deal, but I need some clarity here. Ok, I met my fiancee on Filipina Heart back in May,2009. We chatted on there and emailed all of maybe three weeks. Then, we continued through email, Yahoo chat, phone. I have been totally honest with her about my past. I have two misdemeanors relating to controlled substances/alcohol. The most recent one being 8 years ago. Anyway, she knows all about it. My question is what should I do about it? Do I need to check "yes" for IMBRA, and avoid hassles that may arise from my police record even though my conviction status doen't fall under IMBRA. I just want to be as up front as possible and avoid as many delays as I can....Thanks for any input out there as I am really still unclear as to Filipina Hearts policies as well. They clearly state in their "Terms and conditions" that they are not a marriage broker, and they do not endorse anything remotely relating to "mail-order bride". I just saw it as a meeting place for people interested in Filipinas. I happen to love one! Thanks for any and all help in advance. I look forward to being on this site!

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Hi...I am new here. I have been reading things concerning my question, and I am getting bits and pieces. Like everyone else, my situation is unique. Maybe, it isn't a big deal, but I need some clarity here. Ok, I met my fiancee on Filipina Heart back in May,2009. We chatted on there and emailed all of maybe three weeks. Then, we continued through email, Yahoo chat, phone. I have been totally honest with her about my past. I have two misdemeanors relating to controlled substances/alcohol. The most recent one being 8 years ago. Anyway, she knows all about it. My question is what should I do about it? Do I need to check "yes" for IMBRA, and avoid hassles that may arise from my police record even though my conviction status doen't fall under IMBRA. I just want to be as up front as possible and avoid as many delays as I can....Thanks for any input out there as I am really still unclear as to Filipina Hearts policies as well. They clearly state in their "Terms and conditions" that they are not a marriage broker, and they do not endorse anything remotely relating to "mail-order bride". I just saw it as a meeting place for people interested in Filipinas. I happen to love one! Thanks for any and all help in advance. I look forward to being on this site!

I'm sorry...what I meant by answering "yes" is about the question regarding and IMBRA site and not the convictions question. I realize I will not have to answer to those as it doesn't apply to me. I just wanted to include a copy of my police record to smooth things along if I imply that I met on an IMBRA site because Filipina Heart is not doing background checks last time I was there. Thanks!

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

I recommend that you be honest while,,, only giving the information required...

You never know how the paperwork processor will handle the additional information.

You could get an unwarranted denial,, just because of a mis-interpretation.

As far as Filipina Heart,, met my wife there,,, it was mentioned in the interview

as a response to the question, "How did you meet?" So,,, as far as the Consulate

was concerned it did not fall into the "Marriage Broker" label.

Regards,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My now wife passed through manila in june 09, on a k1.

I had a DUI or OWI whichever you prefer back in 2001, it was not an issue . but you want ot list it on paperwork. The only time alchol would be a problem if there were other factors included like battery or domestic.

Thanks for some rapid responses...Ok, so I will NOT disclose any information on my two offenses because they are just TWO when the law requires you answer to THREE? Plus, there is no violence of any sort on my record. Second, FilipinaHeart declares itself NOT under IMBRA, and doesn't charge anyone to join and see one another so I check "no" for IMBRA site? Thanks guys...

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Thanks for some rapid responses...Ok, so I will NOT disclose any information on my two offenses because they are just TWO when the law requires you answer to THREE? Plus, there is no violence of any sort on my record. Second, FilipinaHeart declares itself NOT under IMBRA, and doesn't charge anyone to join and see one another so I check "no" for IMBRA site? Thanks guys...

Hi...I am still not clear here. Ok, the consular didn't care about Filipina Heart, but how did YOU fill out the petition? Did you mention this by checking "yes" under IMBRA?

My questions come down to this: 1) met on FilipinaHeart-how do I fill my petition?-answer "yes" or "no"?

2) what should I provide if they are under IMBRA?

3) this one is not a big issue-I have TWO total convictions not related to violence but related to alcohol/controlled substances....apparently, I should not have any concern over this one because it doesn't apply to the specifications listed under IMBRA..

I just need to know how to deal with the fact that a site called Filipina Heart gave my fiancee and I access to each other...please! If you have experience with this, please give me some details of how to go about this. I find it great that some people have done just fine with Filipina Heart. However, I am completely lost on the issue because I don't see enough specification here or anywhere. I am filing for K-1 so I know it affects me differently than some. However, this is about all I know. Thanks for any details and background. I could really use it...by the way, here a link to their "Terms and Conditions";how do you interpret this? Is it valid enough? Should I make a copy of that and attach to my "meeting" letter? As you see, there is much to be learned here. Thanks again!

http://www.filipinaheart.com/Terms_Cond.cfm

. THE SERVICE

The Service is an internet information service that facilitates contact between members who may or may not be seeking friendship or a relationship. It is not a marriage brokering service, mail order bride service nor a matchmaking service. The Company is under no obligation to broker any other member or members for you.

4. OBLIGATION OF USER

4.1 Own risk

You acknowledge that your use of the Service and the Website is solely at your own risk.

4.12 Mail Order Bride Marriages

This Website does not, and must not be taken to, in any way, aid, procure, promote or provide “mail order bride” marriage-matching services to its users.

You acknowledge that the jurisdiction in which you reside may prohibit the advertisement of marriage-matching services or the solicitation of persons to partake in marriages.

If you reside in the Philippines, Belarus or any such jurisdiction that prohibits marriage-matching services to its residents, you hereby warrant, represent and covenant that you will not use the Service or the Website for any purpose in breach of any legislation prohibiting marriage-matching.

You hereby acknowledge and agree that it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you do not breach any prohibition on marriage-matching, and further hereby acknowledge and agree that the indemnity contained in clause 15.1 will apply to your breach of any legislation prohibiting marriage-matching.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

I recommend that you be honest while,,, only giving the information required...

You never know how the paperwork processor will handle the additional information.

You could get an unwarranted denial,, just because of a mis-interpretation.

As far as Filipina Heart,, met my wife there,,, it was mentioned in the interview

as a response to the question, "How did you meet?" So,,, as far as the Consulate

was concerned it did not fall into the "Marriage Broker" label.

Regards,

If I give the USCIS information regarding my 2 alcohol related convictions(court records, police records), do you really think that I would get an unwarrented denial even though they are going to find out anyhow?! Did you check "yes" for IMBRA in regards to filipinaheart.com? These are my concerns.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

You just never know what the government paperwork processor will do,,,

They are after all,,, government workers. You will probably be fine

in the end,,, but, be prepared to explain and possibly answer an RFE.

Good Luck,

I understand, but I can't just leave things to speculations. I was intending on giving them my court records and police records for the reasoning that I don't want to receive an RFE or an unwarranted denial. There is no more evidence to give if I front load something that they will pull up and verify in the end, and a denial due to an honest and responsible petitioner doesn't add up to me. Thanks anyway, at least the whole FilipinaHeart thing is fairly "black and white".

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Timeline

I understand, but I can't just leave things to speculations. I was intending on giving them my court records and police records for the reasoning that I don't want to receive an RFE or an unwarranted denial. There is no more evidence to give if I front load something that they will pull up and verify in the end, and a denial due to an honest and responsible petitioner doesn't add up to me. Thanks anyway, at least the whole FilipinaHeart thing is fairly "black and white".

I would suggest that you give any records you got pertaining to criminal convictions. Better that they have it beforehand than received an RFE..RFE tends to make the processing longer.

Yeah, thanks for your input. That what I will most likely do. Others I have spoken to suggest it too. It makes sense to me considering they are going to know all about me as soon as they grab my petition and do the background check. I have nothing to hide so I just want to be up front about my mistakes. The last conviction will most likely be around 10 years old by the time I petition! :D:thumbs:

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
10/10/12-NOA2 text

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received

04/12/14-Received GC

If I give the USCIS information regarding my 2 alcohol related convictions(court records, police records), do you really think that I would get an unwarrented denial even though they are going to find out anyhow?! Did you check "yes" for IMBRA in regards to filipinaheart.com? These are my concerns.

I am replying to the IMBRA part of the discussion as opposed to the convictions part of the discussion. On my I-129F, I decided to not take any chances. The site, while saying that its goal is to bring Filipino men and Filipino women together also makes reference to "others" who are interested in a relationship with a Filipino. Interestingly, the languages available on the the site are English, French, German, Norwegian, and Japanese. Now, I know that Filipinos do get taught English, but if the main goal was to introduce Filipinos to each other I would expect to see choices for Tagalog and/or another major language such as Cebuano. So, it looks like it is in the business of facilitating international matches. In regard to fees, it is true that membership is free. However, a number of services are only available for paying customers. I noted in the answer to Question 19 that they do not request background information from potential members. If you decide to say that Filipina Heart is an IMB, then take a look for the two "companies" with which it is associated: Ecom Holdings Pty. Ltd. and Cupid Media Pty. Ltd., both of which operate out of the same office in Queensland, Australia.

Take care and have a great evening!

Joe and Ann

With respect to the previous poster, it is well established that FilipinaHeart is NOT a marriage broker in the IMBRA sense.

I went through the inception of the IMBRA act and this question came up hundreds of times. The results were always the same:

FilipinaHeart is not a marriage broker.

With respect to the previous poster, it is well established that FilipinaHeart is NOT a marriage broker in the IMBRA sense.

I went through the inception of the IMBRA act and this question came up hundreds of times. The results were always the same:

FilipinaHeart is not a marriage broker.

:thumbs: :thumbs: Agreed.

Many many couples in the Philippines forum met on filipina heart. They never had any problems with it. Chinook and I met on filipina heart. We never had any problems with it. You won't have any problems with it either.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.