one...two...tree

Obama calls for GOP to rally behind small-business loans

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Washington Post Staff Writer

President Obama said Wednesday that Republicans should join Democrats in passing legislation to help provide loans to small businesses.

Speaking at the Tastee Sub Shop in Edison, N.J., Obama touched on an issue that is fast emerging as a rhetorical battleground for the two parties. The president, whose remarks echoed comments he made Tuesday in the Rose Garden, also sought to pressure GOP lawmakers to vote in favor of the legislation.

"The provisions of this bill are things that the Republican Party has supported for years," Obama said. "This is as American as apple pie. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy. They are central to our identity as a nation."

He added: "I expect us to get this done."

Even before the president's remarks, Republican lawmakers had complained that it was Democrats -- not the GOP -- who had stalled its passage by moving ahead with votes on other legislation first.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement that "Republicans have offered a number of ideas to improve the small business bill and until now, those amendments have been obstructed by the other side, and along with them, the bill itself."

The vote on the legislation, which provides incentives to get loans flowing to small businesses, could come as early as Wednesday night.

Obama's remarks came after he met privately with the sub shop's owner and other small-business leaders. (Obama ordered a six-inch super sub with everything after complaining that he couldn't eat a 12-incher now that he's 49.)

"The recession has meant that folks are spending less. . . . Small business has had a tougher time getting credit," Obama said. "Government can't guarantee success, but it can knock down barriers that keep entrepreneurs from growing or expanding."

link

Timeline

I get their tuna. With swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar. Simple. But tastes soooooooo good!

Sounds tasty. I eat at Subway because I have no shame. I like the tuna with spinach, lettuce, tomato, black olives, jalapenos, mustard and vinegar. It's satisfying.

Filed: Timeline

Sounds tasty. I eat at Subway because I have no shame. I like the tuna with spinach, lettuce, tomato, black olives, jalapenos, mustard and vinegar. It's satisfying.

Subway is disgusting. The only chain that I find acceptable is Quizno's and the Blimpie's my friend owns (he is generous with portions). But if I'm within driving distance of Tastee's, its a no brainer.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's never as simple as "backing small-business loans."

It's always part of another larger piece of legislation or some piece of legislation filled with pork out the butt.

Show me a bill that supports ONLY what the President is asking for and I'll show you that 90% of people would support it probably.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Subway is disgusting. The only chain that I find acceptable is Quizno's and the Blimpie's my friend owns (he is generous with portions). But if I'm within driving distance of Tastee's, its a no brainer.

I'll have to find a local deli where I'm at right now. I'm sure there's better.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

ew. Blimpie???? Cmon, you'd take that over Subway?

Personally I'm a fan of Jimmy Johns for the "chain" sandwich shops. That and Schlotzsky's

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

By Washington Post Staff Writer

President Obama said Wednesday that Republicans should join Democrats in passing legislation to help provide loans to small businesses.

Speaking at the Tastee Sub Shop in Edison, N.J., Obama touched on an issue that is fast emerging as a rhetorical battleground for the two parties. The president, whose remarks echoed comments he made Tuesday in the Rose Garden, also sought to pressure GOP lawmakers to vote in favor of the legislation.

"The provisions of this bill are things that the Republican Party has supported for years," Obama said. "This is as American as apple pie. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy. They are central to our identity as a nation."

He added: "I expect us to get this done."

Even before the president's remarks, Republican lawmakers had complained that it was Democrats -- not the GOP -- who had stalled its passage by moving ahead with votes on other legislation first.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement that "Republicans have offered a number of ideas to improve the small business bill and until now, those amendments have been obstructed by the other side, and along with them, the bill itself."

The vote on the legislation, which provides incentives to get loans flowing to small businesses, could come as early as Wednesday night.

Obama's remarks came after he met privately with the sub shop's owner and other small-business leaders. (Obama ordered a six-inch super sub with everything after complaining that he couldn't eat a 12-incher now that he's 49.)

"The recession has meant that folks are spending less. . . . Small business has had a tougher time getting credit," Obama said. "Government can't guarantee success, but it can knock down barriers that keep entrepreneurs from growing or expanding."

link

If Obama and this Congress want to help small business, they can go home right away, and let the new Congress take over in January. It would be cheaper to pay them to do nothing than it would be to let them #### ###### up any more than the lame ###### #### already have. #### Obama up the #### with Pelosi's big 10 inch! :angry:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As we've recently learned in another thread from our conservative and libertarian friends, small businesses that can't secure credit are deadbeats anyways. No point in propping them up. It only drags out their inevitable failure.

It does make you wonder how many in the GOP and this so-called libertarian movement can have the balls to claim to be pro-business (whatever that means) and anti small business in one swift stroke of the mind.

I only sense more neocon finagling to substantially favor the upper crust on the socioeconomic ladder. Not much new there, just a different mask.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.