LewisandAlena

Affidavit of Support Question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I hope this is the right place to post this...

So, it may sound silly, but at the ripe old age of 19 I just got my first job in June. I have pretty much no money of my own, and certainly no income tax statements or anything of the sort. My question is, do I need to fill out an Affidavit of Support at all since I clearly don't make enough money? My mom is more than willing to file and she makes enough. Can we just send an Affidavit from her? I saw that if you're filing from within the US there's a $70 fee, so if we didn't have to pay that twice that would be splendid. Thanks!

"Many waters cannot quench love." -Song of Solomon 8:7

Petition Sent: August 21, 2010

NOA1 Received: August 26, 2010

Touches: The October 3rd Touch of Death :)

And did you get what

you wanted from this life, even so?

I did.

And what did you want?

To call myself beloved, to feel myself

beloved on the earth.

-Late Fragment by Raymond Carver

IT COULD BE WORSE. You could be stuck in a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream. Or dead.

I hope this is the right place to post this...

So, it may sound silly, but at the ripe old age of 19 I just got my first job in June. I have pretty much no money of my own, and certainly no income tax statements or anything of the sort. My question is, do I need to fill out an Affidavit of Support at all since I clearly don't make enough money? My mom is more than willing to file and she makes enough. Can we just send an Affidavit from her? I saw that if you're filing from within the US there's a $70 fee, so if we didn't have to pay that twice that would be splendid. Thanks!

As I understand it, you will need to fill out two forms. One for yourself, and one with your mother as a co-sponsor.

Regardless of the income amount the fiance Petitioner is always considered the primary sponsor. They're going to want to know you can support your future spouse. You'll have to fill out a I-134, but as soon as they see you don't make enough to qualify they'll switch to your co-sponsor's info.

Personal questios, but do you make anywhere close to the guidelines (just over $18k for a household of 2)? If you make enough now to qualify, even without the tax returns, you can provide a letter from your employer stating when you started, how much you make, and that you're a regular (not temp) employee in good standing, and attach copies of your pay stubs. You might consider also including a copy of your parents' tax return for last year showing you were still considered a dependent. It would be smart, however, to include a co-signer's form and documentation JUST IN CASE they ask for it.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Hi :)

There is no fee for the I-134 for the K1 visa for the embassy.

To help the community better help you, could please fill out your timeline, thank you :)

I-751 package sent : 03/30/2012

I-751 receipt date : 04/03/2012

Timeline

Regardless of the income amount the fiance Petitioner is always considered the primary sponsor. They're going to want to know you can support your future spouse. You'll have to fill out a I-134, but as soon as they see you don't make enough to qualify they'll switch to your co-sponsor's info.

*sigh* I figured. Thanks.

Personal questios, but do you make anywhere close to the guidelines (just over $18k for a household of 2)? If you make enough now to qualify, even without the tax returns, you can provide a letter from your employer stating when you started, how much you make, and that you're a regular (not temp) employee in good standing, and attach copies of your pay stubs. You might consider also including a copy of your parents' tax return for last year showing you were still considered a dependent. It would be smart, however, to include a co-signer's form and documentation JUST IN CASE they ask for it.

Good luck! :thumbs:

No, it's minimum wage part time. :( I'm still in college. Thanks, though!

Hi :)

There is no fee for the I-134 for the K1 visa for the embassy.

Does that mean if we don't send it with the I-129f and instead hand it in at the embassy interview?

And did you get what

I did.

And what did you want?

beloved on the earth.

IT COULD BE WORSE. You could be stuck in a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream. Or dead.

You don't need to send the I-134 with the I-129F. It's only needed at the interview, and there is no fee.

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

And minimum wage sucks, but we've all been there! At least you have a job, that's what counts!

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Timeline

You don't need to send the I-134 with the I-129F. It's only needed at the interview, and there is no fee.

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

We won't get an RFE for it? If we don't have to send it in, yes that helps a lot! Thanks! :)

And minimum wage sucks, but we've all been there! At least you have a job, that's what counts!

Oh, I'm not complaining! It would just suck to have to pay $70 twice over. Thank you and everyone else for your quick answers!

And did you get what

I did.

And what did you want?

beloved on the earth.

We won't get an RFE for it? If we don't have to send it in, yes that helps a lot! Thanks! :)

Nope, the I-134 isn't required to be sent. It's brought with the fiance to the interview in their country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.