TeacherJeff

Starting my journey from Thailand

49 posts in this topic

1) Can't get the link to work, so can't answer. Did you contact USCIS office in Bangkok? http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/usgmain/uscis.html Remember that the process for DCF varies from the typical filing in the USA of a I-129F (fiancee) or I-130 (spouse/family member). Usually better to send an e-mail as you will get much more clear instructions on the process in writing versus speaking with someone at the embassy.

2) Ask the embassy. I sent both. I would probably have a family member back in the states get one as it is always good to have it!

3) You only need your spouse's police records. They are checking for crimes that would make her inadmissible to the USA.

4) Is this in the first link? I don't see where it says $400.

5) If filing the I-130 in the USA, the I-864 is not sent. Once the I-130 is approved by USCIS in the USA, they send it to the NVC (National Visa Center) that will then request the I-864. Since you are filing directly in Bangkok (and skipping NVC) they are requesting everything upfront.

1: I apparently forgot one link and I misspelled the other one.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/domicile.html (I think that this should not had been included in the first place)

and

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/packet3iv.pdf (scroll down all the way to the bottom)

2: Well I don't exactly have a biological family in the states. I was an ward of the state for 12 years which I can easily prove since I am still in contact with my DHS caseworker. She has written a letter stating as much because I am unable to fill out all the information under the 325a form.

3: It would be good to know that she's not the next Anna from Russia spy. lol Thanks :)

4: refer to #1

5: I am currently living in Hatyai.

Also I may need a backup plan. My godparents got cold feet once they saw the responsibilities that the i-864 curtailed and I am uncertain if they would be willing to sign off.

Kharp koon khup (apologies for the horrible transliteration)

Jeff

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

4: Why does the application state $400 but the website states but USCIS website states $355?

I-130 petition - 355

DS-230 visa application - 404

AOS fee, for I-864 , is waived if you are doing Direct Consular Filing of the I-130 (I think is 88 bucks now when filed to NVC)

fees have increased recently, as well, for DS-230 applications, up to 404.

Going DCF? File I-130 with G-325A, then (later) file DS-230 with I-864 with all of her 'documents'

Some 'light' reading :( :

DS-230 - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

I-864 - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3730.html

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Also how would I go about getting a police certificate? Would my wife need to get one from her home country of the Philippines or here in Hatyai Thailand?

Wife needs PCC from Phils and from Thailand plus any other countries where's she's lived more than 6 months. - PCC's are submitted with the DS-230, for any CR-1 visa applicant.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I-130 petition - 355

DS-230 visa application - 404

AOS fee, for I-864 , is waived if you are doing Direct Consular Filing of the I-130 (I think is 88 bucks now when filed to NVC)

fees have increased recently, as well, for DS-230 applications, up to 404.

Going DCF? File I-130 with G-325A, then (later) file DS-230 with I-864 with all of her 'documents'

Some 'light' reading :( :

DS-230 - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

I-864 - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3730.html

Good Luck !

Light reading? Surely ye jest. lol I would hate to know what you consider "heavy" reading. Anyway thanks for the info. What should my backup plan be if my godparents do not want to fill out the i-864? I am not able to sponsor my wife with my current teacher salary from thailand.

Timeline

you got any assets? cash in bank? 401K account? house without mortgage? cd's, stock certificates, etc etc ? there's an asset computation formula in the I-864. My apologies if someone has covered this before, with you, I'm late to yer 'party'.

Edited by Darnell

you got any assets? cash in bank? 401K account? house without mortgage? cd's, stock certificates, etc etc ? there's an asset computation formula in the I-864. My apologies if someone has covered this before, with you, I'm late to yer 'party'.

Just a couple K in a bank that I use for an emergency. Most of our income has went to support her brothers in the Philippines last year. Being a ward of the state means that you have no family to really depend on. The only folks I know are my "godparents" who are extremely kind towards me but are quite skeptical and wants a solid plan before they commit to anything. In all honesty I probably would be doing the same thing if I were in their shoes.

One question that they want to know is concerning my student loans and me personally. I've told them, rightfully or wrongfully, that the only person who they would be responsible for would be my wife intil she gets her citizenship. I believe my wife would qualify for her citizenship after three years after POE (Port of Entry) with a CR-1 visa.

Here are their specific questions that they have asked me and I will refer them to this link:

1: Would they be responsible if I get sick?

2: Would they be responsible if I default on my student loans?

3: My wife and I are planning on having our baby in Thailand first. Our plan is that I would go on ahead and look for work in the states while she delivers in Thailand. Granted, that's not the idea situation but having it in Thailand is a helluva alot cheaper than in America (regular birth costs around 20,000 baht or 600 dollars) and it gets her off my back because she's childless at 30. Once the baby is born and is ready for travel (and all additional documents is filled out I would bring them over to America. Their question is thus: would they be responsible for the baby once they sign the I-864 form?

Now off I go writing a step by step outline of all of my plans to them.

Thanks a million,

Jeff

Timeline

the co-sponser does NOT get 'on the hook' to the US Citizen for any of the US Citizen's debt, with an I-864. Perhaps that's a big area of confusion for your god-parents?

They would be legally responsible for yer lass IF and ONLY if she utilized 'means-tested benefits' in the USA - usually this falls into:

1. free health care as a result of having a medicare benefits card

2. food stamps as a result of enrollment in a WIC program

3. free public housing as a result of being enrolled in some program for low-income/zero-income ppl.

Now, what's the chance of 'that' happening with yer lass?

Do you foresee yer lass utilizing any 'means-tested benefit' in the USA?

the co-sponser does NOT get 'on the hook' to the US Citizen for any of the US Citizen's debt, with an I-864. Perhaps that's a big area of confusion for your god-parents?

They would be legally responsible for yer lass IF and ONLY if she utilized 'means-tested benefits' in the USA - usually this falls into:

1. free health care as a result of having a medicare benefits card

2. food stamps as a result of enrollment in a WIC program

3. free public housing as a result of being enrolled in some program for low-income/zero-income ppl.

Now, what's the chance of 'that' happening with yer lass?

Do you foresee yer lass utilizing any 'means-tested benefit' in the USA?

As I outlined to my godparents I would go back to America by myself and search for a job after I go I finish acting like a monkey and going through all the hoops to get my wife a cr-1 visa. . My "lass" would stay behind and give birth since it alot cheaper to do so here than America. After the doctor oks the baby for travel and after we finish any documentation on our newborn then my lass would come over. She's 30 years old and her nagging has only increased.

For clarification would my godparents be held responsible for any "mean-tested benefits" that I sign up for? I'm sure that would be their next question. Would they also be responsible for any health related problems that insurance would not cover anyway, I have a date with my pillow. It's 12:33 am my time and my brain is slowly shutting down

thanks a million

Jeff

Timeline

1 For clarification would my godparents be held responsible for any "mean-tested benefits" that I sign up for?

I'm sure that would be their next question.

2 Would they also be responsible for any health related problems that insurance would not cover anyway, I have a date with my pillow. It's 12:33 am my time and my brain is slowly shutting down

thanks a million

Jeff

1. NO

2. NO.

For tomorrow's homework, please research 'means-tested-benefits'.

• 5 months later...

My godparents are dead set against sponsoring my wife in her bid to come to America, to the point that it has destroyed our relationship, and my options are severely limited in that regards. I have no other family members who are willing and or capable of sponsoring glyndale. Additionally we are planning on having our first child this year (she's two months) and I have no clue as what to do. A friend recommended that Glyndale have the baby here in Thailand and then apply for a tourist visa while using the logic that immigration would never deport my wife. This, i feel, is twisting/breaking the law and I have troubles permitting my conscious to even think about it. Thailand is not a place where I want to work until retirement. Yet the longer that we stay here the harder it will be for me to gain meaningful employment back in the states. However separating from my wife, even for short time, is like a death sentence to me. To put it bluntly I/we are getting desperate.

warmest regards,

Jeff

Edited by TeacherJeff

Timeline

have the baby in Thailand - then apply for Consular Record of Birth Abroad (at the US Embassy) and get the child a USA Passport in Thailand at the US Embassy there.

Sorry, I'm losing track of yer prior goal - but - money solves much matters - suggest you get some, soonish.

have the baby in Thailand - then apply for Consular Record of Birth Abroad (at the US Embassy) and get the child a USA Passport in Thailand at the US Embassy there.

Sorry, I'm losing track of yer prior goal - but - money solves much matters - suggest you get some, soonish.

I would like to legally bring my wife over without breaking any laws though getting enough money is quite hard here in Thailand. My yearly salary in Thailand is 12,000 usd which is quite good in thailand but is barely min. wage back home. Being separated from my wife for any period of time would be worse than death for me.

Edited by TeacherJeff

• 2 months later...

My godparents FINALLY have decided to sponsor my wife and that has been a huge relief to me.

Do I need to fill out the i-134 form as well or just send the i-864 form to my godparents? What is the difference between the two?

In the upper right hand corner of the I-130 form states that the form expires on 01/31/20. I've downloaded the form from here but I got the same message. Most of the forms that I have seen are similarly expired. Will that affect the application process?

Thanks a million in advance

Jeff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.