JohnSmith2007

Liberal vs conservative media

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The way the left leaning posters here not see this huge irony is what is really telling. Either your lying to yourselves or you just don't want to see. Madhouse, if you can't admit that a person THAT biased and filled with hatred of conservatives cannot report without bias then I don't know what to say. In my mind it MUST effect his reporting.

Well for a start - you're taking the writer of the OP article at his word, rarely a good thing to do when the op article is an op-ed piece.

Secondly, there is no requirement for journalists to be of a particular political persuasion, nor is there any requirement that they should be shy in how they express those views.

Thirdly, and this is the key issue - whether personal bias affects the journalists reporting depends entirely on how much editorial freedom individual journalists have. You may find, if you are interested in this subject, that they don't have as much as you might think.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is why journalists get hired/fired from certain organizations for that which they say.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

There's part of your problem right there, you try to divide posters into 'left' or 'right' leaning when people are usually a complex mix of bias.

Spare me. Some people are left or right. It doesn't take a Phd in political science to see who they are.

Timeline

Ok this is the point where I take leave to do more interesting things than be bored by the same old debate between blind ideology and definitions themselves.

Timeline

Well for a start - you're taking the writer of the OP article at his word, rarely a good thing to do when the op article is an op-ed piece.

Secondly, there is no requirement for journalists to be of a particular political persuasion, nor is there any requirement that they should be shy in how they express those views.

Thirdly, and this is the key issue - whether personal bias affects the journalists reporting depends entirely on how much editorial freedom individual journalists have. You may find, if you are interested in this subject, that they don't have as much as you might think.

You just can't get yourself to admit it can you? I have seen you bash Fox for being right biased but I don't see you saying that the vast majority of the rest is biased left when clearly they are. This story is just further evidence that you wish to dismiss.

Timeline

Are we basing one interview, which of course- implies someone's opinion, as the fundamental judgment to tilt a radio station? Weird.

Maybe that's another example of how many people confuse fact (news) with opinions. If you want to do a comparison, have many more examples that prove a horizontal relationship that would lead one to assign such conclusions.

And people do have the right to their own opinions, no matter where they work. Journalists (good ones, at least) have the ability to divorce their opinions from news delivery. FNC, on the other hand... has serious issues in mixing opinions with news delivery, although they do have their moments of some objectivity... not many. Yet these are the ones that come with blaring headlines such like those we saw with the incomplete Sherrod story.

And bump for context.

Timeline

Spare me. Some people are left or right. It doesn't take a Phd in political science to see who they are.

Actually - the thinking is that journalists are to the left on some (e.g. social) issues and to the right on others (e.g. economic). Nor are those biases static - they shift somewhat. It's why, for example, there was little criticism of the Bush administration in the months after 9/11 and a lot towards the end. It's also why the coverage of the Obama administration has shifted over the last 18 months.

:rofl: alrighty then genius.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

You just can't get yourself to admit it can you? I have seen you bash Fox for being right biased but I don't see you saying that the vast majority of the rest is biased left when clearly they are. This story is just further evidence that you wish to dismiss.

I have bashed Fox, because it's an easy target.

But I have said (consistently actually) that I believe the entirety of the broadcast media in the US is sensationalist and propagandist. If you need any evidence of that - look at the handling of the firing of the USDA worker. An edited video was submitted to the media for ideological reasons by a guy who wasn't shy about what he was doing when he appeared on ABC, none of the networks fact-checked it because getting people to shake their fists at something gets people's attention. If the reaction the story received on VJ was any indication - people lap that $hit up like belgian chocolate.

As I said, two sides of a sh!t story makes a $hit sandwich. You might want to eat it, but I don't. And thankfully, I don't have to.

Timeline

And bump for context.

And I repeat again, Yes Fox is biased right, no doubt but the "other" news sources that I see put forth as an unbiased source is just as tilted but only in the other direction. I really don't care what your prefer, Fox or something else, but at least have the honesty to admit that everything else including NPR is biased to some extent. It is human nature to inject your personal opinions into everything a person does. If the reporters and management have the same slant then what comes out MUST be biased. I can't be helped. Someone on the left or right sees his world through that mindset and what seems unbiased to him is biased to his opposite. A liberal sees Fox as right biased because and a conservative sees just about everything else biased left. There is no true unbiased news source, ever.

And I repeat again, Yes Fox is biased right, no doubt but the "other" news sources that I see put forth as an unbiased source is just as tilted but only in the other direction. I really don't care what your prefer, Fox or something else, but at least have the honesty to admit that everything else including NPR is biased to some extent. It is human nature to inject your personal opinions into everything a person does. If the reporters and management have the same slant then what comes out MUST be biased. I can't be helped. Someone on the left or right sees his world through that mindset and what seems unbiased to him is biased to his opposite. A liberal sees Fox as right biased because and a conservative sees just about everything else biased left. There is no true unbiased news source, ever.

All news media has a bias - but there is a difference between hacks and journalists - Six has tried to get you to see the difference but you don't seem to want to open your eyes.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Good God, you are a disagreeable person. Could you be any more self important?

You are free to disregard anything and everything I post. You can also join the 'we hate MC' fan club, there are several members around here somewhere.

Too late. :D

Edited by Madame Cleo

Timeline

Yes... but the point is that whatever bias an individual might have, they don't have ultimate control over how their work is handled once it is submitted. If the piece doesn't fit the style of the publication it will either be rejected or edited to the point where it can be published or broadcast.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's part of your problem right there, you try to divide posters into 'left' or 'right' leaning when people are usually a complex mix of bias.

MC

I agree with you on this for sure.

Up to about a year ago I thought myself farily liberal and it seems more and more of my ideas especially economics fall toward the conservative spectrum.

I find myself daily looking at issues and thinking about them and realizing I am liberal on some issues and conservative on others.

I also agre with Mad in his opinion that all media over sensationalize news and at times it isn't always the journalist who has the last say in what they put in the writing.