Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

custody REF from NVC

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan

Hi Everyone,

I got REF (Custody) from NVC for my 14years old child to immigrate to US.

I have a sole physically and legal custody over my child and my ex didn't get visitation right.

We submitted the court documents with certified translation.(It's a kind of difficult to prove by certain words because both countries civil laws are pretty different though, we just tried to do my best.)

We're waiting for the results but the NVC operator said we need to wait 6-8 weeks to know it. I feel like it's very long. My visa process has been forwarded to the Emabassy already.

I'm worried so much about my child case, if they will accept it or not.

Does anyone have any simmilar experience at NVC?? How did you get over this issue?? Does anyone have any idea?

Next diificulty would be a interview at the Embassy.

According to US Embassy in Japan web, they wrote like this,

"I'm divorced; do I require permission from my ex spouse to take my child out of the country?

If you are divorced and you are applying for a visa for your child(ren) by a previous marriage, you will be required to present on the day of your visa interview proof that you have been awarded custody of the child(ren) by the court AND that permission has been given for the child(ren) to be taken out of Japan. "

It's not clear whose permission it was. I asked Embassy and they just said "bring the same documents (but the originals) you submitted to NVC."

let me add this information, Japanese court will never provided any permission instead of non-custodial parent, because basically they don't have any right anymore on the civil law here after the one side parent got the custody when they got divorced.

I haven't seen my ex for over 10 years and so did my child, it's very difficult even to see my ex. Lawyer is expensive here and I called one lawyer and he said it would cost about $3,000 or more for this case. I really can't afford to this now.

Please help.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria

You need a written statement from the other biological parent giving the child permission to come and live in the US. Without this the child will not be given a visa.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...