I AM NOT THAT GUY

Can A Filipina Really Be Taught How to Drive? A Car?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So, we decided long ago, that Marie should learn how to drive. We bought a car a year and a half ago, just for her to drive. Off and on again, I took her out for lessons, until it became too much for me. My poor heart! :(

I decided it was time for a professional to take over. She decided to let the issue go away. :whistle:

That was last summer. Now, this summer, when Marie brought up the subject, I said, go ahead, and find a driving instructor. She found one that met our criteria: Still breathing and willing to drive to Forestville. :lol:

Last Friday, he shows up and gives her the first lesson. So far, so good. When he returns, he says, "This is going to take a while. I think I understand what you must have gone through." :P

So, we make an appointment for another lesson the following Monday. Monday morning he calls in sick. We make another appointment for Saturday. The school calls Friday evening and cancels. :(

So, last night, we decided I will just have to try and teach her again myself. :help:

Comments? Any ideas? Since I will soon be falling off the wagon, any interesting cocktail recipes developed since I quit serious drinking?

Edited by ##########

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im going to have to go thru this but I do know what you are talking about, I had a cousin fresh of the boat that needed some driving lessons and I almost had a heart attack, she started crying when i started to raise my voice. Too bad we are not born with the knowledge of how to drive...............

On one my trips to Philippine, I taught my wife how to ride a Motorbike. I had her a car waiting for her 1 year before she arrived in USA.

I taught my wife the basic of driving in USA, How to start car, Brake, etc then I hired an driving instructor that cost $40 per hour.

She took 3 or 4 lessons and then she took her driving test with the instructors vehicle, she passed first time.

It was important for my wife to be able to drive since she was on the job hunt within days after getting her EAD Card, and we don't have public transportation where we live

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I feel bad for you guys because I can already fathom how Jordan feels about this. laughing.gif I've never driven a car before. I know how to drive bumper cars and golf carts so if maneuvering a vehicle is no way close to what I've mentioned then he's in for the ride of his life! I suggest that you take her to an isolated area and muster all your patience because it's going to take a while. Driving is a skill which I have yet to learn and see if I possess it. If not, I can walk around LA and drop a few dress sizes! lol.

Be patient with her, it will happen! yes.gif You have to make her feel comfortable so that her nerves won't get the best of her because in my case, I panic whenever I feel that I'm under pressure. I tried driving once and I "burned" the clutch. Some people learn better through imitation so why not give that a try? Instruct her step by step and demand that she pay attention to what you're doing and eventually, with your guidance, she'll get the hang of it.

Update us! good.gif

Edited by JORDANTONI09

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

On one my trips to Philippine, I taught my wife how to ride a Motorbike. I had her a car waiting for her 1 year before she arrived in USA.

I taught my wife the basic of driving in USA, How to start car, Brake, etc then I hired an driving instructor that cost $40 per hour.

She took 3 or 4 lessons and then she took her driving test with the instructors vehicle, she passed first time.

It was important for my wife to be able to drive since she was on the job hunt within days after getting her EAD Card, and we don't have public transportation where we live

Yep. I know how that goes. I have to be a taxi driver for her. None of her friends drive either, so it seems I have pick up all her friends as well. We live in an outlying area, so the bus service is limited.

I was thinking about having my wife take driving lesson while still in the Philippines so at least she has time behind the wheel.

She doesn't have to work once here but she will need a car to get around places. We have no real public transportation in Southern California.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Timeline

@Jason That habit bugs the hell out of me. My friends do that all the time so I made them watch a U.K. ad on YouTube!

@Atencio My sister went to a driving school two months ago. She enrolled herself in Socialites Driving School near our house and I think the process takes two weeks. She freely drives around the highways now and hasn't had any problems.

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

I wish I knew the answer. I have been going through this for 2 years now...:unsure: I just bought her an 04 Chrysler Pacifica thinking that it would give her the incentive to want to drive. I have seen my life pass before me a million times. The heart can't take it anymore. I honestly believe that some people are not meant to drive. My wife proves that point. Anyway, short of telling every driver to stay off the streets while my wife is behind the wheel. I have run out of answers.....(F) Maybe I can trade it in for a bumper car???:rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

An inappropriate and off topic post has been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I wish I knew the answer. I have been going through this for 2 years now...:unsure: I just bought her an 04 Chrysler Pacifica thinking that it would give her the incentive to want to drive. I have seen my life pass before me a million times. The heart can't take it anymore. I honestly believe that some people are not meant to drive. My wife proves that point. Anyway, short of telling every driver to stay off the streets while my wife is behind the wheel. I have run out of answers.....(F) Maybe I can trade it in for a bumper car???:rofl:

If your wife is like mine, then she never even learned to ride a bicycle. There is some hand-eye coordination that has to be learned. I think that is what is taking so long. She has to learn what she is looking at, as she stares out the windshield, and correlate that to what the vehicle's position actually is in space-time, and then to remember whether to turn left, or right, accelerate, or apply the brake. If we ever get past that part, I think she will be okay.

Oh no! I am having flashbacks! I think our first lesson begins in an hour. Wish us luck!

So, we decided long ago, that Marie should learn how to drive. We bought a car a year and a half ago, just for her to drive. Off and on again, I took her out for lessons, until it became too much for me. My poor heart! :(

I decided it was time for a professional to take over. She decided to let the issue go away. :whistle:

That was last summer. Now, this summer, when Marie brought up the subject, I said, go ahead, and find a driving instructor. She found one that met our criteria: Still breathing and willing to drive to Forestville. :lol:

Last Friday, he shows up and gives her the first lesson. So far, so good. When he returns, he says, "This is going to take a while. I think I understand what you must have gone through." :P

So, we make an appointment for another lesson the following Monday. Monday morning he calls in sick. We make another appointment for Saturday. The school calls Friday evening and cancels. :(

So, last night, we decided I will just have to try and teach her again myself. :help:

Comments? Any ideas? Since I will soon be falling off the wagon, any interesting cocktail recipes developed since I quit serious drinking?

Just be patient with her. DO NOT yell (like my husband - "IF YOU WANT TO TURN, TURN!!). Hello! What's the signal light for? :lol:

Needless to say, i went to a driving school.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The way this topic is phrased it makes it sounds like an entire country of women are driving challenged. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "my wife" vs. generalizing?

:thumbs:

FWIW, Jinky was driving a stick multi-cab long before we ever met. In fact, she's convinced her driving abilities are superior to mine.

Timeline

I don't know how to drive before I got here. My husband started to teach me during winter season last year but very seldom coz of the weather. My husband recorded the total of 30 hours for practice because he thought that they will ask for it. I guess in order to pass the road test, you just need to be brave and focus. Always remember to signal and be cautious. Since I had my driver's license, I keep driving alone and take a lot of courage.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.