ryna

Working current job while on a K1?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Long story, short:

Last night, I was talking to my fiancée and she told me that her boss came to her and asked her how our engagement was going (great) and when she thought she would be leaving (his guess is as good as ours at this point.) But then, he offered her a promotion to stay at his firm in Colombia (proud of her for being so respected but irritated with him at the same time for trying to throw a monkey wrench into our plans.) While in theory, I'd be OK with going there to live (for a while), I would be unable to work in anything even remotely paying what I am accustomed to and, honestly, even a substantial increase in her pay without me working just couldn't cover both of our expenses.

Bottom line is I got to thinking that since he's so willing to try to get her to stay, and her job is 95% in front of a computer, could she telecommute from here? Technically, the job is in Colombia, not the U.S. The only things she couldn't do are the "go-fer" parts of her current job but surely if he wants her to stay so badly, he can accept her working offsite and find a new person to run the errands...

These are just my thoughts at the moment as it came to mind after we spoke and she certainly hasn't mentioned it to her boss yet but I'm trying to think of all options and cover all bases.

Any thoughts? Experiences with similar situations?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey there,

I cannot speak from my own experience, but a friend of mine - tele-commuted from Boston to Silicon Valley for 4 years with no problem. I don't know what exactly your fiance's job is but it definitely is possible. My friend was even so lucky to travel to Cali once a month - paid for by his company of course. The only thing you might look into is the tax situation...

K1 Timeline

Jan 2005: we first met and started dating

03/11/2010: I-129F sent

04/29/2010: touched and NOA2

05/17/2010: Consulate Frankfurt

05/19/2010: Package 3 received

07/02/2010: Packet 4 received

07/07/2010: Medical Exam in Munich

07/21/2010: Visa interview in Frankfurt - APPROVED

11/28/2010: POE

12/27/2010: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks..

I know from a technical standpoint it's 100% possible, at least if her boss accepts it. I'm more concerned with visa restrictions, tax implications, etc.

Just trying to think of ways to counter anything else he may throw out there. I don't want him going the other way if she doesn't accept the promotion and replacing her before we're ready and not knowing when this wonderful K1 process will be over makes it even more difficult.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks..

I know from a technical standpoint it's 100% possible, at least if her boss accepts it. I'm more concerned with visa restrictions, tax implications, etc.

Just trying to think of ways to counter anything else he may throw out there. I don't want him going the other way if she doesn't accept the promotion and replacing her before we're ready and not knowing when this wonderful K1 process will be over makes it even more difficult.

From your timeline, I'd expect to see you guys getting an NOA2 any day now, and probably a late September or early October interview date. You can never predict very accurately, but you're running about 7 weeks behind us so far and that margin will probably tend to stay pretty similar on down the road...

VanessaDanA600x450.jpg

10-11-2008 Dan & Vanessa First Meet Online

01-15-2009 Dan's First Visit To Vanessa In Colombia

06-27-2009 We Are Engaged!

07-01-2009 Vanessa Asks Her Long Estranged Panamanian Ex For An Official Divorce

10-12-2009 Panama Approves Vanessa's Divorce But DOESN'T MAIL HER ANY NOTICE!!!

01-15-2010 We FINALLY Obtain A Div Cert From The Footdragging Idiots In Panama

02-25-2010 Our Completed I-129 Application Package Dropped Off With The Lawyer

03-01-2010 Lawyer Finds & Fixes Several Errors & Submits Package to VSC

03-10-2010 NOA-1

03-15-2010 Touched

06-01-2010 NOA-2

06-03-2010 NVC Received & New Case # Issued

06-15-2010 NVC Finally Sent File To Bogota Embassy

06-17-2010 DHL Delivers To Bogota Embassy (and disappears in the mail room for 4 days!)

06-22-2010 E-mailed Completed Packet 3 Forms To Embassy Requesting Interview Date

06-29-2010 DOS Confirms By Phone That We Have An Embassy Interview Date On 12 August!

08-12-2010 Interview Successful But Vanessa Must Return With Missing Paperwork For Final Approval

09-01-2010 Papers Now In Hand BUT Can't Get A New Appointment Until 12 Days After Calling PIN

09-13-2010 Vanessa is APPROVED At Follow-up Interview, Awaiting Visa Delivery In 8 - 10 Business Days

10-03-2010 Planned POE In Fort Lauderdale Florida

10-30-2010 Planned Wedding In Orlando Florida

Click On This Link To See Dan's Video Love Song To Vanessa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.