Abike

Vancouver BC DCF

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there!

I'm a newbie to this forum please forgive me if the acronyms or lingo that I may use is incorrect. My husband [married two years this coming November] is residing in with me here Vancouver BC. We applied for my I - 130 successfully last September and recieved a package from the Montreal Consulte. In the past 10 years I've lived in Ontario, Manitoba and B.C. so I am waiting on my criminal record check from the RCMP. Two things are holding up this process for us and I was hoping someone outhere could shed some light on or current situation.

1) I went to have my finger prints done at a place in Vancouver called International Finger Printing Services. This was in the first week of June. I had to do it the old fashion way (with ink). I'm worried that the wait will exceed 90days. The RCMP website has posted that the wait time for ink print based criminal record checks is 120days. Does this seem to be a standard amount of time to wait for fingerprints from a third party agency?

2)My husband (my visa petitionner) had his work pemit renewal denied. He was here on a two year student visa, during which time we filed the I-130. During the process of gathering my fingerprints and waiting for my RCMP criminal record check results my husband's status in Canada is now without a valid visa. How will this affect my CR1 interview process? Does anyone know if we need to file for Canadian Permanent residency on my husband's behalf?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Do you have a criminal record? If not, you just need to go to your local police station and have them run a name check. It covers all of Canada, and you should be able to get it while you wait. Otherwise, recently I heard of someone getting their fingerprint results back in about 3 months, so close to your 90 days. Am I right in assuming your CR-1 expires in September, hence the question?

2. I don't believe this should affect your CR-1 process, but others with more experience with this will surely chime in.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

1. Do you have a criminal record? If not, you just need to go to your local police station and have them run a name check. It covers all of Canada, and you should be able to get it while you wait. Otherwise, recently I heard of someone getting their fingerprint results back in about 3 months, so close to your 90 days. Am I right in assuming your CR-1 expires in September, hence the question?

2. I don't believe this should affect your CR-1 process, but others with more experience with this will surely chime in.

Thanks for the reply! Neither of us have a criminal record - I went to the Poliece Headquartes in Downtown Vancouver. I was told that they don't do fingerprint checks for visa purposes. If I'm wrong I'm hoping someone else has had a different experence. I also don't have an expiry date or priorty dated printed on any of the documents that I recieved from the Montreal Consulate. How does one find out thier expiriy date? Is there an expiry date inbetween the 1-130 and CR1 Visa application processes?

Edited by Abike

I never finished the CR-1 process, so don't go by what I said about expiry, maybe there isn't one. And I definitely didn't do DCF, so there would also be nuances to that which I am totally unaware of. Let me find the link for what they need officially re: criminal record; I believe the official title is police records check.

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Here it is:

Police Records

• Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)
    Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada must contact their local RCMP office to obtain a “Certified Criminal Record Check,” which lists an applicant’s criminal history, indicating the section of the Canadian Criminal Code under which the applicant was charged, the disposition of the case, and the penalty imposed, if any. Obtaining a Certified Criminal Records Check requires submission of a fingerprint chart; the RCMP could take between two and twelve months to process a request for a Certified Criminal Record Check. (Note: If a namecheck by a police agency reveals a conviction record, that agency may be unwilling to issue a certificate and may refer the applicant to the RCMP for a Certified Criminal Record Check.)
    Canadian pardons have no effect under U.S. law. Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada that was subsequently pardoned must contact an RCMP office to obtain both a Certified Criminal Record Check and copies of their pardoned criminal record. Additional information is available online.

Link

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Timeline

I completed the CR-1 process. The Vancouver Police Department don't require your finger prints to do a search and issue you a police certificate. They just need your consent form. I recall the the process was relatively quick--think I got the police certificate within 4-6 weeks.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

I believe that Montreal require proof of your status in Canada, not the petitioners, but I could be wrong.

Regardingt he police certificates, you don't need fingerprints done unless you have a criminal record. I went to the RCMP station in North Vancouver and got my record check done and issued in about 20 mins (not sure if the RCMP in Vancouver do the same).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

2 - the petitioner (USC Spouse) must have 6 months duration, residence, IN COUNTRY prior to filing the I-130 - emphasis on PRIOR. He's met that, already. Perhaps is time for a 'border run' before his current status expires? (Go into USA for a few days, return to Canada).

But - that raises the question of him being in Canada illegally, as well. No clue what to tell you, on that.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 10 months later...

Hi.

I have a question, which I hope someone can assist with.

I am a foreigner living in Canada with my family (USC) for 10 months. I have been invited to study at a US University for end Sept11, and it is now May22nd. I would like to immigrate to the US using the I-130 but not sure on the timing. My classes in the US starts end September. The other alternative is to get a F-1 visa, as the school is sending me an I-20.

A follow up question: my of 9 years does not work, and she is USC who has been here in Canada with me. She is here in Canada, vancouver, without a working permit. She is here as an accompanying spouse, and I am here on a study permit.

Timing is key, and if I don't apply for the GC, then I would have to come back to Canada end of the year and then apply, which would be really inconvenient.

The other alternative is to apply for the F-1 and then in August/ September apply for the I-130, but then I am concerned about crossing the border, and the questioning of my intent with going to study in the US.

Thanks for any advice.

adv

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.