AbacoGal

CONFUSED - Mother (LPR) Sponsored Green Card for Daughter

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

I am in need of some clarity regarding my current processing status.

A little about me:

Citizen of The Bahamas

Single, Over 21

Present Visa Status is F1, OPT/EAD Active until February, 2011

I have two Approved Visa Petitions.

The first is via my Brother, a US Citizen with a Priority date of October, 2001 and

the second is via my Mother, a US Permanent Resident with a Priority date of April 2005.

I have been monitoring the Visa Bulletins very closely each month and anticipated a Visa # becoming available under my brother's petition first. HOWEVER, this month (July, 2010) we received an Affidavit of Support packet from NVC regarding my Mother's petition.

So does this really mean that a Visa # is now available to begin the final stage of processing for me?

And if so, as I am currently in Texas with a valid EAD card linked to my OPT (F1 Visa) how do I indicate that I want to Adjust my Status in the US rather than move forward at the US Embassy in Nassau?

Finally, any idea at all how long it will take to adjust from an F1 to a Green Card holder?

Any advice/comments are appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am in need of some clarity regarding my current processing status.

A little about me:

Citizen of The Bahamas

Single, Over 21

Present Visa Status is F1, OPT/EAD Active until February, 2011

I have two Approved Visa Petitions.

The first is via my Brother, a US Citizen with a Priority date of October, 2001 and

the second is via my Mother, a US Permanent Resident with a Priority date of April 2005.

I have been monitoring the Visa Bulletins very closely each month and anticipated a Visa # becoming available under my brother's petition first. HOWEVER, this month (July, 2010) we received an Affidavit of Support packet from NVC regarding my Mother's petition.

So does this really mean that a Visa # is now available to begin the final stage of processing for me?

And if so, as I am currently in Texas with a valid EAD card linked to my OPT (F1 Visa) how do I indicate that I want to Adjust my Status in the US rather than move forward at the US Embassy in Nassau?

Finally, any idea at all how long it will take to adjust from an F1 to a Green Card holder?

Any advice/comments are appreciated!

not really. Lately the NVC is requesting the paperwork ahead of time, like a year or so before the priority date is current. If you check August's Visa Bulletin, the category 2B is Jan 1 2004 and your priority date is in 2005 for your mom.

If you are going to adjust in country, then you need to wait until in the visa bulletin appears your priority date as current. and your F1 has to be active, so it might be from a few months to next year until your priority date becomes current.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.