moroccogirlny

Moroccans find love online

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Moroccans find love online

2010-07-01

For many Moroccans, the internet opens up a new door on romance.

By Siham Ali for Magharebia in Rabat – 01/07/10

link

More Moroccans are turning to the web to find their soul mate.

Increasing numbers of Moroccans are bucking tradition to find spouses through the internet, and some are looking for love far from their homeland's borders.

Couples and singles alike who spoke with Magharebia said their quest for romance had been facilitated by new technology, including the World Wide Web.

Farid Mekkaoui, 36, was married two years ago to Sophie, a 27-year-old French woman. They became friends through an internet discussion forum and conducted a virtual relationship for a year. Then they met in Agadir, where they decided to seal their union.

"Today we live in Marrakech," said Mekkaoui, who works in a hotel. "My wife's found a good job here. I never thought I'd end up marrying a European girl. But the internet makes the whole world accessible."

Morocco has seen a rapid spread of internet technology in recent years, ranking it second in the Arab world in terms of internet users. Cutting-edge Web 2.0 tools such as Twitter are also gaining ground.

Bouchra met her husband Mjid, a Moroccan living in Italy, on the internet. After a year and a half of interaction, they decided to get married. Bouchra is now getting ready to join him in the country where he now lives.

Bouchra, who asked that her name be withheld to protect her privacy, said relationships over the internet can now be trusted more than those forged face-to-face.

"At least with the internet, you know how to work out whether a relationship is genuine or not," she said. "People have more time and opportunities to get to know each other at a deeper level, if they're sincere."

"In the past, I had three relationships with local men. But they didn't work out. But then my first relationship over the internet has gone well," she added.

Several young people reported turning to the internet to overcome their shyness.

Ahmed Ghourbal, 22, said that getting to know young women over the internet can be easier than doing the same thing in everyday life.

"Today's social networks offer huge opportunities for meeting people. That's where I'm looking for my soul-mate. And I'm convinced I'll find her soon, because I've made virtual friends with dozens of girls," he said.

Sociologist Ali Chaâbani told Magharebia that marriages based on internet relationships are a phenomenon which has grown in recent years due to the development of new technologies in Morocco.

Chaâbani said that while this approach has overtaken traditional relationships, so far, there has been no research to evaluate the phenomenon. He expressed concern that internet relationships may not be built on "healthy, solid" foundations.

"The internet provides rich pickings for swindlers and liars. Few relationships are genuine, with noble intentions. A great many relationships entered into over the Web, even those which result in marriage, end up failing, although we have seen some successes," said the sociologist.

He said that most of the relationships established with a view to marriage target people overseas, because many young people hope to live abroad to improve their social standing and discover new cultures.

Hakim Mehdi said that for the past two years, he has been visiting discussion forums to find a loving relationship that leads to marriage to a young woman in Europe or the US, so that he can realise his dream of finishing his higher education at a prestigious international school and working abroad.

"I'm not looking to take advantage of the one I'll love and who'll agree to become my wife. I think it's all right to have ambition, especially if you're an open-minded, tolerant person. I'm looking for love and a future career at the same time," he said.

Samira Nouaimi, a young Moroccan woman who lives in France, says that French people of Moroccan origin are starting to become less trusting of virtual relationships.

Whether male or female, she said, they do not want to be used as little more than a stepping-stone by people who dream of emigrating.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Interesting. :)

I don't know about the rates marriages-from-the-internet in Morocco compared to the rest of the world, but the phenomen is increasing everywhere IMO. Look how many people on VJ, for example, who found their SO over the internet.

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's no different than what is happening here. Many people meet on online dating websites or even by networking on facebook or what have you. Not sure why this is "story worthy". The internet has become more accessible to people and therefore these channels have opened up to them.

Sounds pretty standard to me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Agreed.

Several of my friends and acquaintances who have entered into relationships/marriages in the past 8 years or so have met their SO online. I'm the only one who did the extreme of going overseas to marry. :blush: A couple of the friends did chat with "foreigners" from the Mid East and Europe but they weren't looking to have such complications in their lives so they decided to only get involved with local matches.

It's no different than what is happening here. Many people meet on online dating websites or even by networking on facebook or what have you. Not sure why this is "story worthy". The internet has become more accessible to people and therefore these channels have opened up to them.

Sounds pretty standard to me.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.