Freda /Alejandro

From Arequipa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everyone. My fiancee' is from Arequipa, Peru. We just got our NOA2 (only took 6 weeks)! We're getting everything for the next step ready and I have a few questions.

For my I-134 I'm just above the poverty level required for previous years but to be on the safe side I have a co-sponsor but he is not a relative. He is my sisters boyfriend(they've been together 20 years). Will it be a problem that he is not a relative?

Second question- Will the Lima embassy allow us to pick his visa up at the DHL office rather than flying back to Arequipa to wait for it?

And third-I've already been given information about getting items Reniec certified (thank you Susita). But pertaining to that, they have a Reniec office in Arequipa; can the papers be certified at that office rather than in Lima. The Arequipa office tell us yes, but want to make sure.

I'm also interested in hearing from others from Arequipa for any extra information they can give me that might be helpful in any area of this process.

Thanks in advance to all.

5/01/2010- Mailed I-129-F
5/03/2010- I-129F received at Vermont processing center
5/04/2010- NOA 1 (received on 5/10/2010)
5/06/2010- Check cashed by USCIS
6/22/2010- NOA 2 (received on 6/26/2010)
6/24/2010- NVC received application
6/28/2010- Application sent to Lima embassy
7/07/2010- Consulate Received Application
7/09/2010- Pkt 3 sent to fiancee' (which he still hasn't received)
7/15/2010- E-mailed embassy & got response back- they said to watch for pkt in mail and gave me inteview date
8/16/2010- Interview- need an additional police certificate from Costa Rica :( so not approved today, but once they receive certificate will mail visa :)
8/16/2010-Trip to Costa Rica embassy for help with certificate- Let the games begin
8/17/2010-Trip to Notary, trip to Minister Relacciones Exteriores, trip to Notary collage
8/18/2010-Back to notary collage, back to MRE, back to Costa Rica embassy
8/19/2010-Back to MRE
8/20/2010-Back to Costa Rica embassy- whew,finally, "stamp collection" on paper complete and can now attempt to get actual police certificate needed

11/01/2010-all paperwork in - Approved

12/12/2010-He arrived here!! :joy:

1/11/2011-married (L)

1/14/2015-Spouse applied for citizenship

3/27/2015-biometrics appointment

5/6/2015-interview

Timeline

I look forward to hearing about when you get packet three and your interview. I'm in Lima hoping to get packet three within 1-2 weeks. As far as the affidavit goes, I don't think anyone can give you a black and white answer. The cosponsor could be considered less credible if it is not a family member, but that is just a matter of the CO's opinion, so there's no way to know for sure. Be sure to take any opportunity to explain that this person has been with your sister for so many years. Good luck. I'm also using a cosponsor; if I get my interview first I will let you know how it goes.

Timeline

I look forward to hearing about when you get packet three and your interview. I'm in Lima hoping to get packet three within 1-2 weeks. As far as the affidavit goes, I don't think anyone can give you a black and white answer. The cosponsor could be considered less credible if it is not a family member, but that is just a matter of the CO's opinion, so there's no way to know for sure. Be sure to take any opportunity to explain that this person has been with your sister for so many years. Good luck. I'm also using a cosponsor; if I get my interview first I will let you know how it goes.

Yes, definately keep me posted and Good Luck

7/15/2010- E-mailed embassy & got response back- they said to watch for pkt in mail and gave me inteview date
8/16/2010- Interview- need an additional police certificate from Costa Rica :( so not approved today, but once they receive certificate will mail visa :)
8/16/2010-Trip to Costa Rica embassy for help with certificate- Let the games begin
8/17/2010-Trip to Notary, trip to Minister Relacciones Exteriores, trip to Notary collage
8/19/2010-Back to MRE
8/20/2010-Back to Costa Rica embassy- whew,finally, "stamp collection" on paper complete and can now attempt to get actual police certificate needed

1/11/2011-married (L)

5/6/2015-interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As far as the I-134 goes, a joint sponsor does not need to be a relative or a household member. A joint sponsor does need to be a US Citizen, US National or LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) that is domiciled within the United States.

Provide the documentation for your joint sponsor such as a birth certificate copy or green card copied front and back to demonstrate this. You do not typically need to submit anything regarding domicile.

You were not required to earn above the 125% threshold in the years prior to filing but are required to earn 125% or more in the year you are filing. You might wish to keep the joint sponsor as the CO will look at the total picture to make sure the Alien Beneficiary will not become a Public Charge.

I am sorry, I do not know about the Peru specific questions.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

The co-sponsor not being a relative should be OK and yes you can pick up the visa at the local DHL office in Lima, you need to tell them that you will pick it up. We had our interview on a Monday and picked up the Visa on Wednesday afternoon and was on our flight to the states that night. Good luck with everything.

Brian & Isa

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your input on everything-

I would still like information from anyone if the have it on the RENIEC office in Arequipa-

My fiancee' says there is an office in Arequipa and they told him they can do it and will be the same as having it done in Lima. Does that sound accurate?

I just want to make sure. We're so close and I dont want to hold anything up by not having papers properly certified. (Our interview date is Aug 16)

Thanks again

8/19/2010-Back to MRE

1/11/2011-married (L)

5/6/2015-interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.