mrs.jayb

Family reunion in the US

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline

Hi all!

Well I hope i'm not repeating things that everyone else writes but I have a couple questions. My (soon to be) husband is from the Ivory Coast and I am USC. We are getting married here in the Ivory Coast in August 2010. It just so happens that my family can't make it to the wedding for different reasons. We have been living together for almost two years in another country and we moved together to the Ivory Coast. We DONT plan on moving to the US for awhile (3-5 years) and we have property, a car, a dog (who are like our own children), we both work and I am starting an NGO in the next couple months. Well, my family is having a family reunion in August 2011 and we would love to make it, since it only happens every couple of years. We will only have a couple weeks time for vacation and then we HAVE to return. My uncle is a treasurer of a major city in the US and he would be the sponsor/vouch for my husband for the vacation. I was just wondering what the process is like and if we even have a chance at getting the tourist visa. He was denied a student visa once but that was before we were serious. Does it help that we live together and would go together and come back together?

Warm wishes!

Our Timeline:

Fall 2008- Met as friends while studying abroad

Nov. 2008- Started dating

Feb. 2009- Moved in together in Senegal

Apr. 2009- Got engaged

Aug-Dec. 2009- Long distance relationship from CA to Senegal

Dec-Jan. 2010- Christmas and New Years together in Senegal

Feb-May. 2010- Long distance (last time ever, no matter what!)

May 15th, 2010- Graduated!

May 20th, 2010- Moved to Senegal to live together

July- Moved to the Ivory Coast

August 20t, 2010- Married (YAYYY!!)

October- Found out we are having our first child in April!

December 22nd- Moved back to California due to political tension in the Ivory Coast

April 22nd- Our son was born

USCIS

June 3rd- Mail I-130

June 7th- NOA1 email/text

June 9th- NOA1 letter

October 3rd, 2011- NOA2

NVC

October 31st- NVC Case Number Recieved

Oct 31st- DS-3032 Emailed

Nov 21st- AOS Paid

Dec 22nd- IV Fee Paid

Jan 6th- AOS Packet Received

Jan 10th- IV Packet Sent and "False RFE" received

Jan 11th- NVC operator said AOS Packet was approved

Jan 24th- CASE COMPLETE!

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams". ~Dr. Seuss

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Visa is a B2.

No sponsorship required.

He applies at the US Consulate.

Chances, probably not that good.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

Nobody knows. You are a US citizen, you can do whatever you like. It's all about your fiance here.

You can argue anything both ways, and successfully. I think you can make a good case, but you really won't know how they see it until you try. What do you have to lose?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

He's never met my family and they wont be at the wedding. He doesn't know a soul in the States (besides me and I HAVE to return because of my internship with the UN). His work can only give him 2-3 weeks off and thats the perfect amount of time for the trip. Are there any other points we should stress for "proof of return". And what amount is the "norm" to have in the bank? What about our bank accounts in the States, should we mention those? Does it even help if my uncle writes a letter of invitation for the family reunion (he's organizing it)?

Thanks for all your help!

Our Timeline:

Apr. 2009- Got engaged

December 22nd- Moved back to California due to political tension in the Ivory Coast

USCIS

June 3rd- Mail I-130

June 9th- NOA1 letter

October 3rd, 2011- NOA2

NVC

Nov 21st- AOS Paid

Dec 22nd- IV Fee Paid

Jan 24th- CASE COMPLETE!

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams". ~Dr. Seuss

event.png

Timeline

He's never met my family and they wont be at the wedding. He doesn't know a soul in the States (besides me and I HAVE to return because of my internship with the UN). His work can only give him 2-3 weeks off and thats the perfect amount of time for the trip. Are there any other points we should stress for "proof of return". And what amount is the "norm" to have in the bank? What about our bank accounts in the States, should we mention those? Does it even help if my uncle writes a letter of invitation for the family reunion (he's organizing it)?

Thanks for all your help!

All he can do is put his best foot forward.

Remember it is about him, not you. Your involvement complicates matters.

He has a lot going against him and not much in favour.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

How does the "invitation letter" actually work? If my Uncle wanted to invite my "soon to be husband" to our family reunion, could this be a way that he could do so. He is family. And there's no way of hiding that he is/will be my husband since our names are on everything together...bank accounts, bills, payments, etc.

Cheers!

Our Timeline:

Apr. 2009- Got engaged

USCIS

June 3rd- Mail I-130

June 9th- NOA1 letter

October 3rd, 2011- NOA2

NVC

Nov 21st- AOS Paid

Dec 22nd- IV Fee Paid

Jan 24th- CASE COMPLETE!

event.png

Timeline

It does not work, it is a justification as to why he wants to visit, buy you could easily do that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.