lipslikesugar

Can anyone be a joint sponsor?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

My mother (LPR)is the petitioner for my sister and she does not have ANY income in U.S. but she is retired in Brazil. My husband (her son-in-law) has a good income.

My question is: can he be the joint sponsor??? What should my mother answer about her income in the affidavit of support?? thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, anyone can be a joint sponsor. Your mom should put 0 income if she doesn't make any money in the US.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

• 1 month later...
Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have the exact situation. Due to the economic crisis we are in right now, I was laid off about a year ago and few months after we received a notice from the NVC that her priority date is now current. Since I only get the Unemployment Benefits and it's not 125% above the poverty line for 3 people (me, my daughter, and her son), my daughter-in-law helped me with the I864. It's perfectly fine, it basically just say that they will be responsible for the persons on the form because the government wants to make sure they will not become a public charge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, anyone can be a joint sponsor. Your mom should put 0 income if she doesn't make any money in the US.

The US taxes on worldwide income. All income should be reported.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I have the exact situation. Due to the economic crisis we are in right now, I was laid off about a year ago and few months after we received a notice from the NVC that her priority date is now current. Since I only get the Unemployment Benefits and it's not 125% above the poverty line for 3 people (me, my daughter, and her son), my daughter-in-law helped me with the I864. It's perfectly fine, it basically just say that they will be responsible for the persons on the form because the government wants to make sure they will not become a public charge.

Hi there, we are on the same boat. Do you mind if I ask what is your priority date that is now current? My mom is petiotioning for my 3 under 21 siblings who are in the Philippines and one of them is turning 21 in 8 months from today and i'm worried that a visa might not yet available before he turn 21. Thanks.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

March 1999. Is your mom a LPR or a US citizen? when i petitioned my daughter i wasnt a citizen yet. i became a citizen not too long ago. under cspa, her category was automatically moved as daughter of a US Citizen in which she had to write to the DHS MLA to opt-out. with your siblings case, check when she petitioned them and refer to the cspa info online. I, myself is not clear how to calculate it and i dont wanna give wrong info.

March 1999. Is your mom a LPR or a US citizen? when i petitioned my daughter i wasnt a citizen yet. i became a citizen not too long ago. under cspa, her category was automatically moved as daughter of a US Citizen in which she had to write to the DHS MLA to opt-out. with your siblings case, check when she petitioned them and refer to the cspa info online. I, myself is not clear how to calculate it and i dont wanna give wrong info.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. My mom is an LPR, We are looking at the Visa Expedite request option (sending a letter to USCIS requesting to expedite visa). I don't see child aging out is one of the criteria though but It doesn't hurt to try. Our only second option would be if my brother aged out is to send an opt-out letter for my brother to stay in F2b category when my mother becomes a US citizen.

I appreciate your help!

• 2 years later...

My mother (LPR)is the petitioner for my sister and she does not have ANY income in U.S. but she is retired in Brazil. My husband (her son-in-law) has a good income.

My question is: can he be the joint sponsor??? What should my mother answer about her income in the affidavit of support?? thanks

Hi! I just want to know what form did your husband filled up? I-864 or I-864a? Are you guys living with your mom?

I have the same situation. My mom(LPR) petitioned my sister and no income and we live with here and shares the same address.

I'm just wondering if the ff is correct:

Mom (petitioner)- file I-864

Me(daughter)-file I-864a

my Husband (son-in law of petitioner)- file I-864 as joint sponsor or I-864a as household member?

Is your case already completed? How did it go? Appreciate your response. Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi! I just want to know what form did your husband filled up? I-864 or I-864a? Are you guys living with your mom?

I have the same situation. My mom(LPR) petitioned my sister and no income and we live with here and shares the same address.

I'm just wondering if the ff is correct:

Mom (petitioner)- file I-864

Me(daughter)-file I-864a

my Husband (son-in law of petitioner)- file I-864 as joint sponsor or I-864a as household member?

Is your case already completed? How did it go? Appreciate your response. Thanks.

Hey

The correct form is the I864A - attatched to the sponsor's I864.

Let me know if you have any more questions .

My Mom is living with us now :-)

Good luck !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.