Crossed_fingers

"Unofficial" jobs / employment history

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone! My fiance and I have come up with another ####### question about filling out our forms.

He has a decent work history that in theory I think makes him look good, like he has the potential to be a contributing member of society. :) My understanding is that when you work in Morocco you're supposed to be under contract, but in practice many people are employed under the table without a contract. This is the case with most of his jobs. Does anyone know whether the consulate checks out work history? My fiance is concerned that if they contact his past employers, even though he legitimately worked at those places they might look at their records and say he was never employed there. If it matters, one of his past employers was a very large American corporation.

Any ideas if they actually check that stuff out? We could be safe and just put he was unemployed his whole adult life, but that kind of sucks since he was actually working quite a bit of that time...

Thanks again for your help! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My fiancee was concerned about the same thing. He had several jobs but was afraid to list them. He did have 1 contracted job that he listed, and had put that he was currently unemployed. They never checked his job reference, and his unemployment didnt phase them. He was approved anyway with only a few weeks of AP.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks, Azura! So you guys just didn't put down any of the "off contract" jobs? Out of curiosity, did they ask him any questions about what he wants to do for a living in the US? That was the only benefit I could see to having the work history, it might help if he gets questions like those to be able to say, "Well I did XXX in Morocco and I plan on doing something related in the United States."

Congratulations on the approval!!! I love to hear about those! :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks!

No they didn't ask about future employment. They were more or less trying to feel out how well he knows me and my family and if he was fishing for a green card. His employment history didn't seem like a big deal. He only listed the 1 contracted job and told them he was unemployed.

We are now in the process of working on adjusting his status from the k-1 visa to permanent residency. As part of that process you have to have enough finances to sponsor him, or someone who does. In addition, you have to go through a set of paperwork just to get permission to work here once he does enter the country. They dont seem at all concerned with finances or job history at the interviews because they can simply deny you in the second process after he's already here and your married. What a crazy ride. And if you get denied, god forbid, dont expect a refund he he he. Its great how they do these things.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

we wrote "feelance" for the time period of work without a "contract" as we had the same issue of not being able to list a definitive employer. It worked fine and is basically what it is anyway.

I hope that helps.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I listed all my 'unofficial' work history. Everything went just fine. :)

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.