Victor&Cory

Registering marriage in Romanian consulate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello my friends.

Cory just found tonight that she will need to registrate our marriage with the romanian consulate in USA. The fee for this process is about $194 if done within 6 months after the marriage and $294 if done after the 6 months period. There are some problems that makes this process a bit on the impossible side. First, we don't know which one has jurisdiction over Puerto Rico. Second, regardless of which one does, we would need to get on a plane to get there which makes the process more expensive.

So the question is...........is this process really necessary? Is this requirement the same for every country? Can this be done directly in Romania? Can this be done online? What could happen if we don't do this?

So as you can see, this is not so easy to swallow specially after the long K-1 and AOS process not counting the costs of establishing ourselves after the marriage.

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

PEACE............

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in you hearts you can overcome anything.

January 21, 2010 - Submitted AOS

January 25, 2010 - Cory received her SSN

March 9, 2010 - Received appointment for biometrics - will be on March 18

March 18, 2010 - Biometrics done

March 19, 2010 - Touches on I-485 and I-765

March 25, 2010 - Advance Parole approved..received on April 1 in the mail

March 29, 2010 - I-485 notice date, received on April 4, 2010

May 3, 2010 - EAD approved

May 5, 2010 - Date interview....approved

event.png

Hello my friends.

Cory just found tonight that she will need to registrate our marriage with the romanian consulate in USA. The fee for this process is about $194 if done within 6 months after the marriage and $294 if done after the 6 months period. There are some problems that makes this process a bit on the impossible side. First, we don't know which one has jurisdiction over Puerto Rico. Second, regardless of which one does, we would need to get on a plane to get there which makes the process more expensive.

So the question is...........is this process really necessary? Is this requirement the same for every country? Can this be done directly in Romania? Can this be done online? What could happen if we don't do this?

So as you can see, this is not so easy to swallow specially after the long K-1 and AOS process not counting the costs of establishing ourselves after the marriage.

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

PEACE............

Not directly related to Romania but I can tell you that my friend who got married in the States, attempted to register her marriage with Bosnian embassy and back in Bosnia and ended up giving up on the idea. Not only did they want translated marriage certificate, they wanted the signature of the Apostille to match the signature of the judge who married them which is insane as apostilles are done by the governor of the state and not judges. Same with the notary signature. She ended up not doing it and will wait until she gets US citizenship next year to try to clear up everything.

There is no penalty for not registering it and if you do it in Romania, it should be reasonably priced and not those exorbitant consular fees. If Romania is anything like Bosnian administration, they DON"T do anything online - you have to do everything in person. The only issue I potentially see is if you have kids soon and want to register them for Romanian citizenship as well - then you'll want to have marriage registered ahead of time so they don't cause you even more problems.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thanks for the info. In another question....I see you are almost to the end of this immigration road. How was your interview for citizenship? Was the questions hard? I'm curious to how it's going to be when Cory's turn comes by. Thanks again.

PEACE........

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in you hearts you can overcome anything.

January 21, 2010 - Submitted AOS

January 25, 2010 - Cory received her SSN

March 9, 2010 - Received appointment for biometrics - will be on March 18

March 18, 2010 - Biometrics done

March 19, 2010 - Touches on I-485 and I-765

March 25, 2010 - Advance Parole approved..received on April 1 in the mail

March 29, 2010 - I-485 notice date, received on April 4, 2010

May 3, 2010 - EAD approved

May 5, 2010 - Date interview....approved

event.png

Thanks for the info. In another question....I see you are almost to the end of this immigration road. How was your interview for citizenship? Was the questions hard? I'm curious to how it's going to be when Cory's turn comes by. Thanks again.

PEACE........

Yes, I am almost done :-) Interview was really easy - listening to that audio CD that comes with the 100 questions book for a couple of hours really helped, so I highly recommend it. I'm sure Cory will do great when her time comes.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I have the same problem.In order to get a new passport with my new name I have to register the marriage in Romania. I can do this if I go to the Consulate in New York/Washington DC or I can do this in Romania. You cannot do anything online.

The process is the same like in Bosnia. We also need the Apostille.

It's very complicated and expensive. So I decided that I will wait until I get my american citizenship to go home(5 years) and register the marriage and get a new passport in Romania.

You can go home with your green card and the old passport if it's still valid and the plane ticket should match the name is the passport.

Good luck!

I have the same problem.In order to get a new passport with my new name I have to register the marriage in Romania. I can do this if I go to the Consulate in New York/Washington DC or I can do this in Romania. You cannot do anything online.

It's very complicated and expensive. So I decided that I will wait until I get my american citizenship to go home(5 years) and register the marriage and get a new passport in Romania.

You can go home with your green card and the old passport if it's still valid and the plane ticket should match the name is the passport.

Good luck!

It's actually 3 years since you become a resident that you can get the citizenship if still married to same USC - 3 years minus 90 days that you can apply.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

It's actually 3 years since you become a resident that you can get the citizenship if still married to same USC - 3 years minus 90 days that you can apply.

I know that I can get it in 3 years, but I want to wait a little more.I think that when you become citizen of this country you have to be patriotic.

• 5 years later...
Timeline

Good luck!

Hi there,

So my situation is identical except the location and timing (I married an American citizen so I'll be up for my Naturalization after 3 year's marriage) .The difference is that my Romanian passport will expire soon so just A little before that I will be able to apply for the Naturalization. Do I need a valid Romanian passport for the Naturalization?

Thank you!

Gabriela

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.