moondancer627

duel residency to retain Canadian Health Insurance

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has residency in Alberta/ landed immigrant from Austria in 1995.

He just got his green card here.

He needs to maintain residency in Alberta to keep his health coverage, then he wants to work down here in the winter's to stay warm. He is going to put me on a family health plan up there too, so I will start spending summers up there with him.

Anyone have two residency's?

Here in US and there in Canada?

thanks for any answers.

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It doesn't work that way, sorry. You cannot live as a permanent resident part-time in Canada and a permanent resident part time in the US. Both Canada and the US require a permanent resident to maintain primary residency ties with them in order to be counted as a permanent resident. He cannot be resident in the US and in Canada at the same time, it is either one or the other. He cannot maintain US residency as a landed immigrant if he is resident in another country. The US will consider that he has abandoned his residency and will confiscate his Green Card. He cannot claim Canadian residency if he is considered a permanent resident of another country. The only way someone is able to live in both countries is to be a citizen of both. That way one is able to travel freely back and forth between two residences - and pay tax in both countries since each will consider the person their primary resident. It is illegal to claim benefits under a Provincial Health Insurance programme unless you are a bona fide resident of that Province. If he has qualified for his AOS it means that the US considers him a US resident. Alberta will also consider him a US resident because that is his status. He has already left the PRovince - he has just failed to notify them yet - and to try and claim benefits under a Provincial Health care plan is fraud. By the same token, you will not be allowed to be put on a Canadian Provincial health plan because it doesn't work via spousal benefits. It is based on residency and you have to prove your legal right to Canadian residency in order to obtain health care benefits. You need to submit proof of identification and proof of residency in order to obtain coverage. If you do not have a Canadian birth certificate you need to submit your immigration or citizenship document along with your proof of residency documents. To try and be a US resident and claim Canadian Provincial residence benefits is considered fraud by the Canadian Provincial health insurance plans. Seriously re-think this plan because it is not legal in either Canada or the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as you meet the test that Alberta has for residency you are ok in this. If you both want coverage you both need to meet the test.

you must be

1) legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;

2) committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period (NOTE: Periods of temporary absence will be counted as being physically present in Alberta. If you are planning to be away for more than six months, contact our office.);

3:) not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;

4) any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Kathryn is absolutely right. It would be wonderful if it were that easy, but it's not.

I intend to become a U.S. citizen next year and then I will be able to reside in either Canada or the U.S. whenever I want. But my U.S. citizen husband will not be able to reside in Canada with me and have Canadian medical coverage, so we are now looking into him becoming a Canadian citizen sometime in the future.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

this could seriously jeopardize his US green card if he claims to have Alberta residency to continue his health coverage there. Whether or not the Alberta rules are sketchy about residency for coverage, the US rules regarding residency to keep your green card are not.

And for a non-Canadian spouse to be covered under a provincial health plan is not possible. You would have to have legal residency in Canada to be eligible. You can't just go up for half a year visit and expect to be covered.

See their website for more info:

Who is Eligible?

Coverage under the AHCIP is available to all eligible residents and their dependants. No eligible Alberta resident will be denied coverage.

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/ahcip/ahcip_eligibility.html

legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;

committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period (NOTE: Periods of temporary absence will be counted as being physically present in Alberta. If you are planning to be away for more than six months, contact our office.);

not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;

any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

moondancer, I'm a dual citizen of Canada and the U.S. but can only be a legal resident of one country at a time. Since moving from Ontario to the States last year, I had to give up my health insurance there.

The only way people can retain their Canadian health insurance is if they're snowbirds, vacationing down south for a half year, but not working. They cover themselves with travel medical insurance while in Florida and then head back north.

But the scheme you described is not allowed, even if you were both duals. You need to pick a country and live there.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Timeline

You should check with a lawyer to fully understand your options. Since he's been in Canada since 1995, he could have probably become a Canadian citizen, which would have at least solved the problem of having permanent residency in two countries. Although, I'm not sure if his Canadian immigrant status has technically been abandoned when he got his greencard or not... ask a lawyer.

Here's a good link to maintain U.S. permanent residency on the web: http://www.americanlaw.com/maintlpr.html.

Interestingly, the law does not put a time limit as to how long you can stay outside the US and not lose your greencard, only your intention to come back to the US.

Good luck.

My husband has residency in Alberta/ landed immigrant from Austria in 1995.

He just got his green card here.

He needs to maintain residency in Alberta to keep his health coverage, then he wants to work down here in the winter's to stay warm. He is going to put me on a family health plan up there too, so I will start spending summers up there with him.

Anyone have two residency's?

Here in US and there in Canada?

thanks for any answers.

Moondancer

Timeline

Thanks for the answers I told him it would not be that easy...

He had a chance to take the Canadian Citizenship test back in April but was here due to AOS not allowing him to travel to Canada.

I guess he can go up there and visit, but he won't be able to work?

He owned his own business and paid taxes as self employed.

Moondancer

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Kathryn is absolutely right. It would be wonderful if it were that easy, but it's not.

I intend to become a U.S. citizen next year and then I will be able to reside in either Canada or the U.S. whenever I want. But my U.S. citizen husband will not be able to reside in Canada with me and have Canadian medical coverage, so we are now looking into him becoming a Canadian citizen sometime in the future.

Yeah, we both wish it were that easy! Joel intends to become a dual and when it's feasible for me, I intend to do the same. Our ultimate goal, of course, is to live in Canada (Nova Scotia) permanently. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Well thanks for the info... Anton doesn't believe me when I tell him this....

What's new? This is one of my pet peeves, he says I will wait and see even though the facts are out there in black and white!

it seems right now like the US residency is more important than the Canadian for him anyway.

He still needs to visit his father for a month or so before the snow sets in for getting the house winterized again for another year.

He can go to the Alberta Consulate and get it from the horse's mouth since he thinks I am full of it...

I guess I am more concerned about Canadian residency and health insurance because I know how hard it is to get it here and how expensive.

I just changed jobs so I am without until Sept. 1 when the new job kicks in.. and I didn't want to COBRA for one month from my old job because that is 1/2 a paycheck.

Moondancer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.