hopps

just married what now?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just got married! YAY!!! but what now?

I also had her name changed during the wedding process is there another form I have to turn into USCIS separately?

do I only have to turn in the adjustment of status and all required forms for it or is there something else I have to turn in after/before this?

how long do I Have to turn the AOS paperwork?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

any ssn yet?

re: what to do - file AOS (read the guide about it here at VJ, follow all instructions in the forms)

name change can be sticky bit, as is passport involved as 'ultimate ID document', but the greencard can be issued in 'married name' - no problem.

If you just got married - wait until you have 'marriage certificate in hand', before filing for AOS.

re: how long on filing the AOS -

--there is NO REG on 'when to file, only a reg to 'get married within 90 days of POE date'

--many ppl wait up to 6 months past the I-94 expiration date, have no issues when filing AOS.

--USCIS will tell you 'send it asap'.

Good Luck ! Any honeymoon g-rated photos to share?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

any ssn yet?

re: what to do - file AOS (read the guide about it here at VJ, follow all instructions in the forms)

name change can be sticky bit, as is passport involved as 'ultimate ID document', but the greencard can be issued in 'married name' - no problem.

If you just got married - wait until you have 'marriage certificate in hand', before filing for AOS.

re: how long on filing the AOS -

--there is NO REG on 'when to file, only a reg to 'get married within 90 days of POE date'

--many ppl wait up to 6 months past the I-94 expiration date, have no issues when filing AOS.

--USCIS will tell you 'send it asap'.

Good Luck ! Any honeymoon g-rated photos to share?

no ssn yet. I was hoping to do it during the AOS....is that possible?

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be having a honeymoon unless my friends and family get us some money during the wedding party. I'm thinking disneyland resort ;) ;) that should be really fun. She's never been to disneyland before so I'm pretty excited.

Will post pics of our post-marriage outside of court room happyness!!! haha. very soon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

SSN apply during AOS applying?

Well, it's not so much 'during AOS applying' as it is within 74 days of the I-94 expiration date.

Your POE date was 2010-05-17, the I-94 expires 90 days from then.

Usually, I tell ppl to go to SSA office, in person (bringing passport, birth certificate) anywhere

from 16 days past the POE date, to 74 days past the POE date.

16 days past POE - gives the CBP computers enough time to synch up with UCCIS and DHS computers, then all the info is transposed into the SAVE database, a system that the SSA ppl use to look you up and determine yer eligibility for a SSN.

74 days past the POE date - On day 75 - USUALLY a K-1 visa holder CANNOT APPLY for a SSN anymore - until either have Greencard or EAD in hand.

Watch yer dates .

IMO, yer right in the window to apply - so make time on Thursday, go to SSA office, apply for SSN.

Some caveats -

1. most 'front-line clerks' know nothing about 'looking you up in SAVE database' - so remind them that you are K-1 visa holder, and they MUST look you up in the SAVE database.

2. sometimes is more useful to ask for supervisor, mention K-1 visa and SAVE database lookup.

3. If anyone mumbles to you, "Need Electronic DHS/USCIS verification on you, need 30 days to process that verification" - STOP. Do Not Apply. Withdraw Yer Application. You were not found in the SAVE database. Come back in one week - SAVE synch-up should have happened, by then.

4. Apply in VISA NAME, first time.

5. After you receive your card, 30 days after applying, still prior to 74 day 'shut off window' - you can go back, show marriage certificate, and then have a 'name change' to yer married name (if you want). A new card in the new name will be issued. If it's past day 74, you can still put the name change in, but you won't get a new card until you show an EAD or GreenCard.

AOS could take anywhere from 2 to 12 months, to get the greencard - so I suggest you get the SSN card now, on Thursday - go in, apply.

EAD could take anywhere from 2 to 5 months.

I guess my point really is - DO NOT WAIT until you've filed for AOS to 'apply for the SSN card' - as during 'that' time frame, yer new wife is ineligble to apply, and must wait until EAD or GC in hand.

Whew !

Waiting on the Photos !!!

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.