joggerspark

fiancee visa and hindu marriage

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancee is in India. We are getting married in Dec. of this year. I would like to know if this is legal/doable or not?

If I file for the fiancee visa and go to India and get married in hindu marriage way and not to go to local office to register the marriage in India. If I wont go to local office there wont be any record of this hindu marriage for me .This way I can get married in Indian way and on paper still bring my fiancee/wife on finacee Visa?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My fiancee is in India. We are getting married in Dec. of this year. I would like to know if this is legal/doable or not?

If I file for the fiancee visa and go to India and get married in hindu marriage way and not to go to local office to register the marriage in India. If I wont go to local office there wont be any record of this hindu marriage for me .This way I can get married in Indian way and on paper still bring my fiancee/wife on finacee Visa?

In India, Hindu marriage is consider to be legal marriage according to the customary hindu rituals and ceremonies. Once a couple circles the scared fire seven times, it is bound to be legal. Opt for a huge engagement party with the family in India if that is your concern.

Edited by Iqha

03/04/10 1-I29f

03/12/10 NOA1

04/23/10 NOA2

05/25/10 P3

09/30/10 Interview Date (221g)

In India, Hindu marriage is consider to be legal marriage according to the customary hindu rituals and ceremonies. Once a couple circles the scared fire seven times, it is bound to be legal. Opt for a huge engagement party with the family in India if that is your concern.

If this statement if correct, and I will assume it is, then your plans to bring your fiancé with a K1 visa are worthless.. The purpose of this the K1 visa is with intentions of getting marry in the US.. you may want to reconsider your options, possible a CR1 visa may work better for you..

Edited by DoneWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

In theory yes, you can. But why would you want to do that? If you get married in India, then you can legally register your marriage and apply straight for a CR-1 visa after you marry. If you file for a CR-1, there is no law that obliges you to marry in the US - they accept any marriage from around the world, as long as it's under the country's laws and the documents are translated if not in English. A K-1 visa will give you much more hassle and will be much more expensive - not to mention the extra effort and money to organize another wedding in the US. Remember that if US Immigration doesn't know of your wedding in India, they'll expect to see pictures, proof of who attended the US wedding etc., which can give you many more problems, for example if your families aren't able to attend your US wedding. Why would you want to bring in a wife as a fiancee since you can bring her in the country as a wife and avoid the extra hassle?? :unsure: :unsure:

If the issue is that you want to bring your fiancee to the US earlier, then you can still do a basic wedding in a US town hall and do a hindu wedding in India later. There is no rule prohibiting you from having a wedding the way you want in the country you want in either case!

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Timeline

If the issue is that you want to bring your fiancee to the US earlier, then you can still do a basic wedding in a US town hall and do a hindu wedding in India later. There is no rule prohibiting you from having a wedding the way you want in the country you want in either case!

That's the main thought.

I can't bring her to US without marrying her in India due to social and family norms.

I think the best and the proper way is to file for I-130 and wait for process to complete. It's going to take may be a year. That's the only unpleasant part.

Thanks again for sharing your views.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

A religious marriage in India IS a legal and binding marriage. Irrespective of whether you register it or not. For example, my aunt and uncle just registered their marriage and got their marriage certificate last year but they've been married for the past 25 years.

If family/social norms is a concern, marry her in India and then apply for the CR-1. It is a much superior visa anyway and the waiting time is only 3-4 weeks more if you're prepared for the NVC stage. Good luck!

It will take anywhere from 6-8 months.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.