TSC Blackhole

My Dilemma, is CR-1 the best way?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi There,

I am a US citizen and have been with my Canadian partner since our last year in high school. He went to high school in the US because he was a hockey player, so that's how we met. That was over 11 years ago. I moved up to Canada to go to college in 2003 and was there until October, 2010 when I was offered a good job in the US, so I took it. Now we're at least a 6 hour drive apart. We lived together for 7 years and this whole living apart thing now is getting really lame and we just want to be together, get married, do all that stuff, the sooner the better.

We figure the quickest way is to get married(courthouse style, and have another wedding later) and file the CR-1 in our respective countries, hoping that while the paperwork is being filed we can still visit each other. We initially thought that because he had a geography degree he could find a job as part of NAFTA, for which you don't need a visa, but no luck, the unemployment rate is pretty high where I am.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice as to what would be the easiest/quickest way to bring him here, to the US. It's so irritating that our countries are so close yet its SO difficult to be together. THanks in advance!

USCIS

07/06/10: Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox

07/07/10: Package Received

07/17/10: NOA1

07/26/10: Touched

11/03/10: Case Transferred to TSC

11/30/10: Touched! FINALLY

12/01/10: Touched, AGAIN!

12/02/10: Touched, YET AGAIN!

12/03/10: TOUCHED!

02/14/11:I-130 Approved Happy Valentines Day!

Case was approved in 212 days

NVC

02/18/11: Received NVC Case number

02/20/11: Optin email sent

02/22/11:Submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

02/23/11: AOS invoiced and paid

02/25/11: AOS I-864 Emailed to NVC

03/02/11: IV Bill generated & Paid!

03/08/11: Optin Accepted

03/17/11: DS-260 completed

03/24/11: DS-260 Supporting Documents emailed

03/24/11: Emailed my I-864 AGAIN because NVC is saying they did not receive it.

04/08/11: NVC robot says they are "Awaiting my Biographic Data" which I assume means they reviewed my I-864

04/11/11: NVC is saying I am missing info, that I did not send in all my documents.

04.14.11: NVC is saying i never emailed anything. I contacted my senate office, who is getting things handled for me at NVC.

05.12.11: OMG SIF!

07.11.11-INTERVIEW DATE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is 'faster', then there is 'better'.

IMO - K-1 is faster, but

CR-1 is better. It's a bit more paperwork before the visa is granted, but cuts out a lot of silliness (compared to the K-1) regarding Adjustment of Status to file for a GreenCard.

Caveat - if 'partner' implies same-gender situation, there is no USA immigration process. Better to be married in Canada, USC person moves to Canada, applies for Canadian residency based on marriage.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Darnell. We're in a hetero relationship so I think we'll just get married in the US asap, the next time he's down here. Now, when he goes across the border, he should probably say that he's marrying his girlfriend, right? Or will they give him a hard time? We'll get married, then he'll go back to Canada in a few days...

USCIS

07/06/10: Package Sent to Chicago Lockbox

07/07/10: Package Received

07/17/10: NOA1

07/26/10: Touched

11/03/10: Case Transferred to TSC

11/30/10: Touched! FINALLY

12/01/10: Touched, AGAIN!

12/02/10: Touched, YET AGAIN!

12/03/10: TOUCHED!

02/14/11:I-130 Approved Happy Valentines Day!

Case was approved in 212 days

NVC

02/18/11: Received NVC Case number

02/20/11: Optin email sent

02/22/11:Submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

02/23/11: AOS invoiced and paid

02/25/11: AOS I-864 Emailed to NVC

03/02/11: IV Bill generated & Paid!

03/08/11: Optin Accepted

03/17/11: DS-260 completed

03/24/11: DS-260 Supporting Documents emailed

03/24/11: Emailed my I-864 AGAIN because NVC is saying they did not receive it.

04/08/11: NVC robot says they are "Awaiting my Biographic Data" which I assume means they reviewed my I-864

04/11/11: NVC is saying I am missing info, that I did not send in all my documents.

04.14.11: NVC is saying i never emailed anything. I contacted my senate office, who is getting things handled for me at NVC.

05.12.11: OMG SIF!

07.11.11-INTERVIEW DATE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

For 'that' border crossing, he'll have to hand-carry his evidence of 'strong ties to Canada', in case they want to deny his entry (come to USA to marry US Citizen).

A denial at POE rarely happens, but it's best to be fore-warned, fore-armed.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.