JustUs

Embassy in Ghana - Pulling Together People

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

This issue of backlogged interviews at the embassy in Ghana has gotten so out of control. We have talked about different ways to raise the awareness with various offices of the US government. The consensus has been that we are more effective in numbers - that's the US way. Our dilemma has been how to find a large number of filers who have experienced the delay in getting an interview in Ghana. It sounds like it is impacting the K1 filers along with the CR1 filers. I am in the CR1 group, but, went through the K1 process last year - what a nightmare. We went through 3 interviews and still didn't get the visa for some unknown reason. I remember others on VJ going through the K1 process in Ghana having a similar experience of continuously having to come back for additional interviews for reasons that could have been addressed in the first interview - maybe this is why they are so backed up. hmmmm. :whistle:

If the dilemma is finding enough people to join the campaign, what do you all think about starting a facebook page to help us find others in the process? If we can find enough people then we can implement a writing campaign that might really be effective. Even those who are not yet at the interview stage could have a voice in the campaign.

Please share your thoughts and if you like the idea let me know if you are interested in planning the facebook page.

Staying strong and patient in love and faith!

http://ghanaspouse.blogspot.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thats a good idea. I have written to both of my senators. One sent me the release form but since we are still waiting for our pick up letter I can't give them full details- but once i do have my interview date I will send another letter along.

If you look back at the topic from a little bit ago I had found the DOS african rep- i think he might be the one who we should address next- there is no email or definate address for snail mail that I can find- but I did find an address for the DOS. But we need more people. There are a few of us here but its not even close to the numbers that are being affected...

Any other ideas of who we can send letters to?

Timeline

I strongly support this initiative. The major reason for this huge backlogged is the multiple interview conducted on different time for one case at the consulate. This doesn’t pave the way for other completed cases to be schedule for an interview because visa applicants are being asked to appear for an interview on several occasions. I totally don’t understand the rational behind this bizarre policy at the consulate. Honestly, most of the issues that triggered this “million time interview” can be resolve at the initial interview. I believe is time for us to step-up and question this kind of policy. The consulate doesn’t feel the pain we are going through so is time for us raise the awareness. It's sooo frustrating and devastating to deal with Accra consulate. They created this mess...

My wife's case was completed at NVC on December 2, 2009. Could someone tell me how long it would take for her to be schedule for an interview at Accra consulate?

Timeline

I would like to get this going and my thought is to prepare a campaign that would include sending a well documented complaint to Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State. She is at the top of the DOS. I just need some help thinking through the format for the fb page. I am not trying to recreate vj - don't want to answer any questions about the visa process. The page should be focused on finding people who are currently impacted by the delay in the interview process in Ghana or have in the past been impact by these delays. I want to approach this issue from an objective business perspective including a well thought out documentation of the emotional and financial impact on both the US citizen and the Ghanaian citizen.

The focus would be to simply raise the awareness not to give the solution. My hope is that with the proper awareness raised - the people who can make a difference will figure out the solution if they think the cause is worthwhile. If it works, we might not even be the ones who will benefit from our efforts - but, we may have made a difference. If this isn't worth fighting for, what is? I have been in this visa process for 2 years (my husband was one of those unnecessary multiple interview folks last year). Based on how things are going now, he won't be here with me until 2012 - that is 4 years in this nightmare. I am tired, I am emotionally drained, my cash is low. The thing that is strong in my life is my relationship with my husband - I am fortunate that my relationship is not at risk. Others have not been as fortunate.

Can I please get some volunteers on this one - I have some ideas on how to get started, but, I am not an expert. This is important to us and I want to make sure we do it right. Please don't be afraid of how this might impact your process. I think it could only help. We are Americans - we take risks - we make things happen! Help us please - or give up a better idea.

(Hope you don't mind me eavesdropping) Have you posted this in the regional forum? The FB Page, I mean - which is a great idea, by the way.

Edited by Married2009

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Timeline

Hopefully, we will have the page ready by this weekend. I want the fb page to answer any questions anyone has about what we are trying to accomplish and how we plan to do so. Then we will be ready to post it any where we can - so keep those suggestions coming. It will not be open for wall messages, just direct emails. Again, we don't want to make people think we are trying to replace vj - can't answer any questions about the visa process - we will include a link to vj and other sites that might help folks out with the process.

The mission will be simple: Collaborative effort to raise the awareness with the proper authorities of the significant delay in the visa interview process at the US Embassy in Ghana in comparison to other US Embassies.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

While I support any effort to try and raise awareness of the emotional stress caused by the long waits, I would caution that there may be little immediate impact. Generally, I believe that CO's get rotated every two (sometimes 3) years, so it is unlikely that the State Department would quickly be able to shift enough manpower to Ghana to make a huge difference. What could happen though is they might hire more native workers, which might make a huge difference. Native workers outnumber USC consulate officers by a significant margin.

I do wonder though why Ghana is so understaffed (if that is the problem). I would think that the State Department would already be well aware of which embassies are taking a long time and which are not, and adjust personal levels accordingly.

Timeline

That would be so wonderful if our efforts resulted in a response from the government saying "we know already and we are working on it"! That would be awesome to know that they are on point. You are right that we may not have much impact. At minimum it will give us something else to focus our energy on rather than just crying every night :crying: - sorry about that, I just revealed myself. Just kidding around Indy90 - I got laugh at this mess from time to time. Your thoughts are well spoken and we need to remained grounded in reality. Thank you.

Timeline

You never know...you could have a big impact and I certainly hope that you do. It is not fair that you guys have to wait so long. And the fact that you are at least doing something will help pass some of the time. I don't know if the speed at which the consulate processes things is more dependent on the USC officers or the native employees-it probably is sometype of combination, although native employees certainly outnumber USC officers. If the delay is being caused by staffing shortages and you guys manage to effect things, hopefully the delay is being caused by a shortage of native staff, because I think that it will be much easier to hire native staff than transfer in CO's.

Transfering in more CO's would be a lengthy process, although maybe just a few would make a big difference given that there are so very few at any consulate. I think that there are only around 6,500 foreign service officers stationed around the world on roughly two year or three year rotations(with some stationed in the US and not all work in the consular section), and the process to get hired is extremely competive (like around 2 or 3 percent that apply get in, and almost everyone that has a chance to get in chooses to become one). I have a friend that got hired-she applied almost a year ago and is just now getting ready to go to her year long training. All I can say is good luck to you guys and I hope that you can do something to speed up the process.

Edited by Indy90

Timeline

Thank you for your support. We are new at this, so, any ideas or thoughts you may have please keep sharing.

Once again, VJ members are awesome!

Timeline

Thank you for your support. We are new at this, so, any ideas or thoughts you may have please keep sharing.

Once again, VJ members are awesome!

Your welcome. I apologize if it came off that I was criticizing what you guys are doing...if I was in your shoes I would be doing the same thing. The only way to find out if it can make a difference is to try. Basically I was just trying to say don't expect things to dramatically change within a month or two, but long term it could and hopefully will have an effect.

Like I said, I don't understand why people (not you guys, but the government) didn't realize why there was a problem long ago. It can't be because they don't want more people from Ghana...everyone from that country that I have known has been amazing. For example, I once helped a man from that country start his own student apartment cleaning business after he had worked for a badly run one for a couple of years. We need more people like him.

Edited by Indy90

Timeline

Your welcome. I apologize if it came off that I was criticizing what you guys are doing...if I was in your shoes I would be doing the same thing. The only way to find out if it can make a difference is to try. Basically I was just trying to say don't expect things to dramatically change within a month or two, but long term it could and hopefully will have an effect.

Like I said, I don't understand why people (not you guys, but the government) didn't realize why there was a problem long ago. It can't be because they don't want more people from Ghana...everyone from that country that I have known has been amazing. For example, I once helped a man from that country start his own student apartment cleaning business after he had worked for a badly run one for a couple of years. We need more people like him.

Your comments have been on point and I do appreciate it. We cannot go into this thing with a "we are going to save the world" perspective. We need to remain grounded and need all of the support from any direction we can get. I personally thank you and am sincere when I see keep your thoughts coming.

just dropped by to offer support....

Thank you! The mission has begun!

Timeline

JustUS,

Count me in. Aluta continua!!!

Marriage: 09-12-2009

USCIS

4-26-10 Sent of I-130

10-07-10 Approved

10-12-10 Received hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

10-12-10: NVC has application but case number yet to be assigned.

10-18-10: Case number assigned.

10-19-10: Provided both email addresses

10-23-10: DS-3032 emailed; no response

10-28-10: Received IIN, dithering around instead of paying the fee

10-30-10: DS3032 Kit and I-864 AOS review fee ($88) online payment; In Process

11-03-10: I-864 AOS status 'PAID"; printed cover sheet and mailed I-846EZ package

11-04-10: I-864EZ AOS received and signed by N. Visa Center

11-05-10: DS-230 IV fee ($404) online payment

11-17-10: AOS entered into the system

12-03-10: IV fee paid ($404); In Process

12-06-10: DS-230 IV status 'PAID',

12-07-10: IV package mailed out

12-08-10: DS-230 IV package delivery; signed by N. Visa Center

12-14-10: DS230 entered into system; yay

12-29-10: SIF

12-30-10: Case Completed @ NVC

Total days @ NVC:79 I-130 to Case Complete 249 days

Consulate

08-25-11: Consulate Interview Schedule

xxxx: Medicals

10-20-11: Interview 8:30AM Need Co-sponsor

11-17-11: Visa granted

12-09-11: Picked up visa from Accra Consulate

filsm5.png

event.png

WZs0m5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.