mtlgato

depressed

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are right: I have to try to control my stress level for the sake of the baby. I'm so glad things have worked out for you--eventually!!

In answer to your suggestion, though, I can't have the baby in the US unless I get the visa in time. I basically can't cross the border, as I don't currently have a job or a mortgage--no good evidence of ties to Canada to satisfy a border guard if he or she should ask.

Of course, I could try to cross the border and maybe it would work (in spite of the pending case)...but it's just too stressful to make the place of baby's birth come down to the whim of a border guard. I would be soooo stressed if I got turned back at the POE.

I think I'm better off waiting for my case to work its way through. And if the baby has to be born in Canada, my understanding is that we can get a US passport for him or her within about a month (though I'd need the baby's official bc first...and it could take a little time for that to get all official...you register the birth with the province, then it gets entered into the gov database, *then* you can get the bc...so maybe that could take a month and then the passport app could take a month).

What I'm really worried about is having to re-schedule my MTL consular interview if I simply can't make the date they give me because of my delivery date!

C.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

So sorry for what you are going through :(

I'm glad your husband is contacting his congressman...and I agree with you that the president should know wht this is really like. Maybe you and your husband could write him a letter (maybe once this is all done for you)?

Thank you so much for your support.

C.

It *is* surprising that it's extra hard (or at least extra long) to get a marriage visa. I know the process for J-1 (and probably other student visas?) is quite streamlined for Canadians. Plus, we have that NAFTA TN visa available to us, which I've heard there can be drawbacks to that one...but anyway, in some respects Canadians have it pretty easy with US immigration EXCEPT when it comes to family immigration.

I don't mean to be rude but I think you could look at it as Canadians have it pretty easy in regards to family immigration compared to other countries. This isn't Lagos, where your visa will probably be denied outright, or Vietnam or China or MENA or any other high-risk country where you can be put into limbo for months, if not years, AFTER an interview due to being placed on AP/AR.

The separation may seem like forever but it's really not. And it could always be worse. :)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm getting really depressed about this whole process. For those of you who don't know me, my husband filed our 1-130 in Sept. of 2009 and I got pregnant in Jan. of 2010. I live in Vancouver, and so it's questionable whether I'll be able to make it to Montreal for an interview if they give me a date that comes too late in the pregnancy. I made an expedite request, and submitted a doctor's note...but I haven't heard anything back (in spite of requests for updates).

I can't believe I'm even in the situation of not knowing whether my husband and I will even be living together when the baby is born :( Should we have decided on Canada instead of the US? Is the Canadian process more humane?

There's nothing complicated about our case: no prior marriages, no criminal records, no immigration infractions. Nothing. I just don't think it's reasonable that it should take this long. And I don't feel like I've had very good luck either: My case was stuck in "final processing" at NVC for no good reason for over 3 weeks after we got SIF. We finally got case closed on May 12...but that was a month after we submitted all our documents...even though we didn't get any RFEs.

Anyway, thanks for listening...

C.

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. I was an Army wife for 8 years, and my ex was gone for half of our marriage. I knew lots of Army wives whose husbands werew deployed while they were pregnant. I even knew one that came home to a 1 year old baby he had never laid eyes on before. I know that is extreme, but the point is people make it through. Just visit as much as you can, skype, and know that this process will be over soon.

Our Visa took 8 months to get approved. It seems like a long time but that was 6 months ago! Time flies by. Do you have family or friends to be there for you?

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. I was an Army wife for 8 years, and my ex was gone for half of our marriage. I knew lots of Army wives whose husbands werew deployed while they were pregnant. I even knew one that came home to a 1 year old baby he had never laid eyes on before. I know that is extreme, but the point is people make it through. Just visit as much as you can, skype, and know that this process will be over soon.

Our Visa took 8 months to get approved. It seems like a long time but that was 6 months ago! Time flies by. Do you have family or friends to be there for you?

Hi Mtlgato,

I've been waiting for my husband's visa to be approved for a while now...entire process has been about 1.5 yrs and still its pending due to evidence of domicile. I've been away from my husband for about 5 months now and it is really really hard, but I just learned that stressing about it just makes it worse because there isn't really anything you can do about it. I even contacted my Senator about 3 months ago and still nothing. I'm going through a couple of surgeries in the next couple of weeks and I don't even know if my husband will be here by my side for those, but I can just hope. Hang on tight and don't stress too much as its not going to do anything other then just harm you.

Timeline

Well...yes and no. I have noticed that it does seem that applicants from Nigeria have it pretty rough, and I do feel bad for them. Vietnam I know nothing about. China, these days, seems to be scheduling appointments very efficiently--and I do know they have about 10 X as many applicants as Canada does for consular processing. I certainly see lots of applicants on visa journey from various countries who manage to get through the CR1/1R1 process in about 7 months.

I don't mean to be rude but I think you could look at it as Canadians have it pretty easy in regards to family immigration compared to other countries. This isn't Lagos, where your visa will probably be denied outright, or Vietnam or China or MENA or any other high-risk country where you can be put into limbo for months, if not years, AFTER an interview due to being placed on AP/AR.

The separation may seem like forever but it's really not. And it could always be worse. :)

Timeline

It took my husband and I exactly just a few days over a year to file the entire petition and get an approval in Montreal. We lost about 3 months at NVC due to my husband being deployed and procastinating....:D

But dear, I wish you the best of luck and a speedy process. It'll fly by! Especially if you're not thinking about it. Good luck with everything and your baby. <3

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

Good luck with your surgeries. I hope your husband can be there...

Good luck with your case too. I wouldn't think that evidence of domicile would be very hard to supply (or accept), but I don't (of course) know the particulars of your situation.

C.

Hi Mtlgato,

I've been waiting for my husband's visa to be approved for a while now...entire process has been about 1.5 yrs and still its pending due to evidence of domicile. I've been away from my husband for about 5 months now and it is really really hard, but I just learned that stressing about it just makes it worse because there isn't really anything you can do about it. I even contacted my Senator about 3 months ago and still nothing. I'm going through a couple of surgeries in the next couple of weeks and I don't even know if my husband will be here by my side for those, but I can just hope. Hang on tight and don't stress too much as its not going to do anything other then just harm you.

Timeline

I'm getting really depressed about this whole process. For those of you who don't know me, my husband filed our 1-130 in Sept. of 2009 and I got pregnant in Jan. of 2010. I live in Vancouver, and so it's questionable whether I'll be able to make it to Montreal for an interview if they give me a date that comes too late in the pregnancy. I made an expedite request, and submitted a doctor's note...but I haven't heard anything back (in spite of requests for updates).

I can't believe I'm even in the situation of not knowing whether my husband and I will even be living together when the baby is born :( Should we have decided on Canada instead of the US? Is the Canadian process more humane?

There's nothing complicated about our case: no prior marriages, no criminal records, no immigration infractions. Nothing. I just don't think it's reasonable that it should take this long. And I don't feel like I've had very good luck either: My case was stuck in "final processing" at NVC for no good reason for over 3 weeks after we got SIF. We finally got case closed on May 12...but that was a month after we submitted all our documents...even though we didn't get any RFEs.

Anyway, thanks for listening...

C.

Hello, fellow Vancouverite!

I can relate to you in a way--I'm 6 months preggo and still living in Vancouver, while hubby lives in Seattle. We finished our Montreal interview at the end of April and I technically got my visa, except the immigratin officer is holding it (from issuing) until after I give birth in Canada and am ready to immigrate. The visa currently has a March 2011 expiry date. In the meantime, we're still doing the commuter marriage and likely well after the birth of the baby. Like you, I'm going to all my prenatal appointments alone and was sad hubby wasn't there to see the ultrasounds. We accumulated all the nursery stuff, stroller, car seats and baby clothes but got no home to build a nursery in!

Sigh. We are considering hubby moving to Canada as he just got his Canadian Permanent Residence but first he has to find a job (fingers crossed).

Anyhoo, it will turn out for you at the end. :-) Right now, take care of yourself during your pregnancy and hit me up if you want to talk!

Edited by Revenesque

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

Thanks so much for your note!

Just a quick question: Was it your choice to have the visa "held" till after the birth, or did the officer make the decision for you? In other words, did you want to give birth in Canada?

I may write more another time. It's so good to know that someone else is in such a similar situation.

c.

Hello, fellow Vancouverite!

I can relate to you in a way--I'm 6 months preggo and still living in Vancouver, while hubby lives in Seattle. We finished our Montreal interview at the end of April and I technically got my visa, except the immigratin officer is holding it (from issuing) until after I give birth in Canada and am ready to immigrate. The visa currently has a March 2011 expiry date. In the meantime, we're still doing the commuter marriage and likely well after the birth of the baby. Like you, I'm going to all my prenatal appointments alone and was sad hubby wasn't there to see the ultrasounds. We accumulated all the nursery stuff, stroller, car seats and baby clothes but got no home to build a nursery in!

Sigh. We are considering hubby moving to Canada as he just got his Canadian Permanent Residence but first he has to find a job (fingers crossed).

Anyhoo, it will turn out for you at the end. :-) Right now, take care of yourself during your pregnancy and hit me up if you want to talk!

Timeline

Unfortunately, many of us have gone through the long wait of the Montreal process and have felt the same frustrations. At times, it doesn't seem like there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it will come. I agree that other consulates seem to handle the immigration process more efficiently, so I am not sure why Montreal seems to have such problems. It seems to border on ridiculousness!

Well, best of luck to you - I hope you get your appointment soon!

Timeline

Just a quick question: Was it your choice to have the visa "held" till after the birth, or did the officer make the decision for you? In other words, did you want to give birth in Canada?

I thought they would issue me a visa and I would have to land by October (6 months from issue date), which was doable but tight. However, the immigration officer asked where I plan to give birth and I said Canada due to the universal health care (and the fact I'm unlikely to get US health insurance in time, if I'm even qualified at all.) Based on that answer, he said he would hold back the visa until me and the baby are ready to immigrate and cautioned that the visa will expire Mar 2011, the 1-yr anniversary of my medical. I just have to send in my passport to the US Consulate when I'm ready. That works for me. :-)

USCS JOURNEY

NVC JOURNEY

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

Oh, ok. Thanks for being so forthcoming. That answer is helpful to me.

I think you're about 5 weeks ahead of me, pregnancy-wise. I hope you're feeling well! For my own part, I've been pretty lucky so far.

C.

I thought they would issue me a visa and I would have to land by October (6 months from issue date), which was doable but tight. However, the immigration officer asked where I plan to give birth and I said Canada due to the universal health care (and the fact I'm unlikely to get US health insurance in time, if I'm even qualified at all.) Based on that answer, he said he would hold back the visa until me and the baby are ready to immigrate and cautioned that the visa will expire Mar 2011, the 1-yr anniversary of my medical. I just have to send in my passport to the US Consulate when I'm ready. That works for me. :-)

Timeline

Oh, ok. Thanks for being so forthcoming. That answer is helpful to me.

I think you're about 5 weeks ahead of me, pregnancy-wise. I hope you're feeling well! For my own part, I've been pretty lucky so far.

C.

You're welcome! Except for the 1-minute excruciating cramp on my calves when I wake up and the occasional back aches, I'm doing wonderful! Baby is a kicker though, lol. How's your pregnancy coming along?

BTW, where is your hubby from?

Edited by Revenesque

USCS JOURNEY

NVC JOURNEY

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

I think some people think maybe my husband and I are "on the rocks" (which we're NOT) and just making up a story about immigration keeping us apart! Bah!

Ha! I've been there! My sister is convinced my marriage is heading for a divorce and I'm fated to be a single mom. :blink: She's lucky she's related by blood!--I cut off a former best friend for saying that shyt (among other stuff)!

USCS JOURNEY

NVC JOURNEY

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

dVUNm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.