bainbridge558

Visa Fee increase .. it's official now !

40 posts in this topic

Looking at your timeline it's easy to guess why you think that way.

Looking at your timeline I'm wondering how someone with the means to take three international trips in six months can b!tch about fees going up a few hundred bucks.

I wonder what new filers have to say about that? Take a lucky guess...

New filers are saying the same thing filers were saying back when I filed - "I can't believe they're raising the rates again. Jeez. Even though I just took three international vacations... I can't stand paying a few hundred more dollars so our federal government can run one of their departments in a fiscally-responsible manner."

And just for the record... my wife filed her naturalization papers a few weeks ago. The fees are what the fees are. If you know they're going to go up, file quickly!

How about your township raises your property taxes by 400%? Why should I should care. Get the point?

I see your point. Like most Americans today you're willing to b!tch about something yet do nothing about it. If you're unhappy with your local government raising your property taxes 400%, why not either vote in someone who'll repeal those rates or vote with your dollar and move to another township? Or, do like us pofolks have done for a long time.... don't own property!

Also, keep in mind you're arguing local vs. federal. I'm a HUGE advocate of the federal government doing ONLY what the federal government is supposed to do. Nothing more, nothing less. In our case here on VJ, we fall under the regulation of interstate trade and for that, the federal government should have a hand in it. USCIS is doing what they're supposed to do and that's raise fees to cover expenses. That's what you do at home, right? Sounds like that's what your township is doing!

And, for the record, I would care about your township if you traded with my township. Or if your township's defense was threatened. Other than that... handle it yourselves.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I see the new fee...was it $131 before? Old fee still on the Moscow Embassy site, but new fee on State Dept. website.

New fee has been on the Moscow Embassy site for several days and was where the first people noticed it.

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/nivservices.html

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Looking at your timeline I'm wondering how someone with the means to take three international trips in six months can b!tch about fees going up a few hundred bucks.

New filers are saying the same thing filers were saying back when I filed - "I can't believe they're raising the rates again. Jeez. Even though I just took three international vacations... I can't stand paying a few hundred more dollars so our federal government can run one of their departments in a fiscally-responsible manner."

And just for the record... my wife filed her naturalization papers a few weeks ago. The fees are what the fees are. If you know they're going to go up, file quickly!

I see your point. Like most Americans today you're willing to b!tch about something yet do nothing about it. If you're unhappy with your local government raising your property taxes 400%, why not either vote in someone who'll repeal those rates or vote with your dollar and move to another township? Or, do like us pofolks have done for a long time.... don't own property!

Also, keep in mind you're arguing local vs. federal. I'm a HUGE advocate of the federal government doing ONLY what the federal government is supposed to do. Nothing more, nothing less. In our case here on VJ, we fall under the regulation of interstate trade and for that, the federal government should have a hand in it. USCIS is doing what they're supposed to do and that's raise fees to cover expenses. That's what you do at home, right? Sounds like that's what your township is doing!

And, for the record, I would care about your township if you traded with my township. Or if your township's defense was threatened. Other than that... handle it yourselves.

Slim, Article 1 explicitly grants Congress the right "To establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization." You may not like it but it's right there. I find something wrong with the fact that you think that immigration is included in the interstate trade clause. Migration and trade are strictly separate issues and have been since 1808.

Second, not owning property doesn't mean you don't pay property taxes. Property taxes affect rent prices since landlords still have to pay them. They also affect local prices since stores also have to pay them which you end up paying for.

Third, when was the last time you actually effected a change in your government? It's a really popular line to say, "If you don't like it, do something about it." But in my experience, it's also deeply hypocritical. For the most part, you can't change it. Additionally, if you were going to try to change it, the first step would be rallying support which would probably take the form of complaining about it. Thus, the do-something-about-it line is usually used as a way to stifle the people who are trying to do something about it because someone else doesn't care.

Voting with you feet/money is also a popular rebuttal and probably more practical for most people. But the fact that it is more practical says more about the difficulty of getting any sort of results politically than it does about the ease of moving. If you live in an apartment, don't have too much stuff, and have the economic ability (including employment availability) to move, then moving is a major, difficult, and time-consuming decision. Otherwise, it's an essentially unnavigable, or at the very least extremely expensive, mire. Short range moves are perhaps easier, but they give you a lot less options for places where you can actually get a different system.

In terms of the justness of rates, I find it frustrating that you pay taxes for years without any real noticeable return and then the first time you want something from the government, you're writing a check for it. I understand where Gary is coming from talking about how it is a good deal, but in reality, the government isn't giving you something. You're paying protection money so the government will let you go on with your life. That is, the government created this hurdle and is now requiring to you pay so they will remove it for you. They aren't helping you overcome some natural hurdle inherent in the world. I've said it before, but it's really like the mafia.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree and disagree with some points. You have local representation for taxes, you have none for USCIS and DOS fees. They most issue the fees and have a public "comment period" but can then just say "F--- YOU" and do it anyway. Your elected representative in Washingtn will disclaim any lliability, it is not a tax, it is not passed by congress.

PoFolks pay property tax Slim. Hate to tell you but a good component of your rent is the tax. In fact, when one does the financials of owning property, one can quickly see that the ONLY advantage to owning property is if you get SOMEONE ELSE to rent it and pay for it. If you own property and pay for it yourself, pay all the taxes, pay all the upkeep and interest it is really a very poor investment in most cases. However, get a Po person to pay you RENT which covers all your expenses, interest, taxes and cost of ownership PLUS allows you to write-off "depreciation" resulting in -0- taxes you must pay on the income AND allowing you to deduct more from your other income...and now you have a gold mine. The rich get richer because there are not many of them and the more prolific poor people all give them money.

There is actually a case to be made, in personal financial matters, right now, that renting is better than owning (at least for ones own home) That may change, but home ownership is really not a very good financial investment. You can make a WHOLE lot more money investing the cost of a home in other investments.

Your point about local vs. federal government is well taken. Unless your community is made up of brain dead sheep (and you live in Ohio, not California, so I doubt it) the local government is not going to get away with any such thing.

The fees for USCIS and what you get...A green card, the ability to work in the world's most prolific economy (even in bad times) and a quick path to citizenship for about the cost of a flat screen TV is the greatest financial bargain on earth

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The rates were raised a few years ago under Bush's USCIS man, Gonzales. The worst thing about it was everyone rushed to file to beat the increase and a huge backlog of filings resulted. The USCIS was overwhelmed and not prepared. It was a royal mess for many months and definitely slowed the process. I filed during that time-frame and got hit with the increases. Hopefully this new increase won't trigger that kind of mess. I actually think it hurt my filing very little as I went CR-1. The folks who seemed to really loose time were the K-1 folks probably because there are so many of them. It was during this time that the processing difference between K-1 and CR-1 narrowed to almost the same length of time.

As to the money issue, I didn't care as I've lived long enough to understand that raising immigration fees is popular among most Americas who are not effected and who may dislike so many immigrants trying to get into the US. And a lot of bureaucrats are involved in the immigration process in several different agencies and even the FBI gets involved with background checks. I can see the costs to the government.

If you want a foreign wife, you pay up. It is, after all, your choice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

"Looking at your timeline I'm wondering how someone with the means to take three international trips in six months can b!tch about fees going up a few hundred bucks. "

A matter of fact I took more then 3 international flights in the past 6 months, some were just for the weekend (can't take so many vacation days). I miss my love so much I willing to pay over 1000 for a ticket just to see her for a day or so. Money is not an issue here and a few hundred dollars will not make me poorer or richer. What triggered my reply is your comment. Your gladness about something that effects other people, not you.

"If you're unhappy with your local government raising your property taxes 400%, why not either vote in someone who'll repeal those rates or vote with your dollar and move to another township? Or, do like us pofolks have done for a long time.... don't own property! "

I was not talking about my property. It was just an example. By the way, my state has the highest taxes in the country and I am not b!ching about. You know why? The quality of life. It's worth every penny.

Nov 25 2009 - While on vacation in Ukraine met my fiancee

Feb 20 2010 - Spent 8 amazing days in Caribbeans with my fiancee

April 16 2010 - Traveled to Ukraine

April 22 2010 - Returned to US

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

July 06 2010 - NOA 2 Hard copy received

July 11 2010 - NVC still still didn't receive approved petition from USCIS. Sent inquiry via email to NVC regarding my case

July 13 2010 - USCIS claims that they sent my petition on July 6th to NVC. Sent inquiry to USCIS.

July 21 2010 - USCIS sent email saying approved petition was lost in transit, asking to submit duplicate copy in order to reconstruct my case

July 29 2010 - Duplicate copy sent to Vermont Service Center.

August 10 2010 - USCIS sent email. Original petition found

August 10 2010 - second NOA 2 issued.

August 12 2010 - NVC received petition

August 13 2010 - NVC forwarded the case to Kiev embassy !!!

September 6 2010 - Medical Exam

September 27 2010 - INTERVIEW!!!

September 27 2010 - Visa Approved!!!

October 5 2010 - Arrived to US!!!

4dc0fd55f0.gif 828551138d.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If those increases will speed up the process I am for 100%. A matter of fact I would pay ANYTHING to get her over here today.

Love is priceless ;)

Nov 25 2009 - While on vacation in Ukraine met my fiancee

Feb 20 2010 - Spent 8 amazing days in Caribbeans with my fiancee

April 16 2010 - Traveled to Ukraine

April 22 2010 - Returned to US

April 27 2010 - K1 filed

April 29 2010 - NOA 1

May 4 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - Touch

June 30 2010 - NOA 2!!!

July 06 2010 - NOA 2 Hard copy received

July 11 2010 - NVC still still didn't receive approved petition from USCIS. Sent inquiry via email to NVC regarding my case

July 13 2010 - USCIS claims that they sent my petition on July 6th to NVC. Sent inquiry to USCIS.

July 21 2010 - USCIS sent email saying approved petition was lost in transit, asking to submit duplicate copy in order to reconstruct my case

July 29 2010 - Duplicate copy sent to Vermont Service Center.

August 10 2010 - USCIS sent email. Original petition found

August 10 2010 - second NOA 2 issued.

August 12 2010 - NVC received petition

August 13 2010 - NVC forwarded the case to Kiev embassy !!!

September 6 2010 - Medical Exam

September 27 2010 - INTERVIEW!!!

September 27 2010 - Visa Approved!!!

October 5 2010 - Arrived to US!!!

4dc0fd55f0.gif 828551138d.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm all for allowing only land-owners the ability to vote.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The Moscow site still says $131. I had my fiancee call a few weeks ago and she said her interview date which is in the middle of June and they said it is $131. Is this right?

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

26-Mar-2010 NVC Sent to Consulate

29-Mar-2010 The embassy received our case

15-June-2010 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The Moscow site still says $131. I had my fiancee call a few weeks ago and she said her interview date which is in the middle of June and they said it is $131. Is this right?

Better check that site again.... http://moscow.usembassy.gov/nivservices.html

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

ahh thanks... great I have to send more money now :-P

15-Dec-2009 I-129F Sent

17-Dec-2009 NOA-1

18-Mar-2010 NOA-2

23-Mar-2010 NVC Received

26-Mar-2010 NVC Sent to Consulate

29-Mar-2010 The embassy received our case

15-June-2010 Interview

Timeline

The rates were raised a few years ago under Bush's USCIS man, Gonzales. The worst thing about it was everyone rushed to file to beat the increase and a huge backlog of filings resulted. The USCIS was overwhelmed and not prepared. It was a royal mess for many months and definitely slowed the process. I filed during that time-frame and got hit with the increases. Hopefully this new increase won't trigger that kind of mess. I actually think it hurt my filing very little as I went CR-1. The folks who seemed to really loose time were the K-1 folks probably because there are so many of them. It was during this time that the processing difference between K-1 and CR-1 narrowed to almost the same length of time.

As to the money issue, I didn't care as I've lived long enough to understand that raising immigration fees is popular among most Americas who are not effected and who may dislike so many immigrants trying to get into the US. And a lot of bureaucrats are involved in the immigration process in several different agencies and even the FBI gets involved with background checks. I can see the costs to the government.

If you want a foreign wife, you pay up. It is, after all, your choice.

The reason t affects K-1s disproportionately is easy to see. Here comes a fee increase....The K-1 filers can fill out the forms and send them off tonight. The guy thinking of going the CR-1 route changes his mind and sends in an I-129, he doesn;t have to go and get married somewhere else first.

I agree with the thoughts about choice. There are an awful lot of people choosig a foreign wife (not a bad choice in my opinion) and then whining about how long it takes and what it costs. Pay up or GTFO!

The fees and expenses are merely tiny down payments on the cost of importing a wife and children. Stop whining.

ahh thanks... great I have to send more money now :-P

She's worth it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I looked at the price increase link and see the increases are only for non immigrant visas like the K-1. There is no increase for immigrant visas such as the CR-1.

Just another reason to consider the CR-1 option if it is a possibility for you.

Timeline

The only problem I have with any of the fee increases is that I feel that the workers are already overpaid and that service will not improve one bit with the fee increase. They always just want more pay but give nothing more in return.

As far as effecting a change in government, I don't think that's really possible any more (or at the very least getting more and more difficult all the time). There are too many people now that are relying on the government to get by. They are either too stupid or too selfish to worry about the fact that we can't afford to be paying for all the things we are paying for. It won't change until it completely collapses...something that seems to happen with every government eventually.

Look to Greece and the rest of Europe to see our future. Even though they are clearly paying out way more than they take in, they still are rioting to prevent a reduction in benefits. As the saying goes...socialism only works until you run out of other people's money.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Slim, Article 1 explicitly grants Congress the right "To establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization." You may not like it but it's right there. I find something wrong with the fact that you think that immigration is included in the interstate trade clause. Migration and trade are strictly separate issues and have been since 1808.

The clause it falls under is irrelevant. The federal government has two jobs. You can lop every single duty into one of those two things. If you can't.... then they shouldn't be doing it!

Second, not owning property doesn't mean you don't pay property taxes. Property taxes affect rent prices since landlords still have to pay them. They also affect local prices since stores also have to pay them which you end up paying for.

While I won't disagree with that, I will point out that my post above was in reference to a 400% increase by a township government. As someone who rents, that wouldn't affect me the same as it would a property owner. If my landlord approached me and demanded a 400% increase in rent because of tax issues he'd also have vacancy concerns.

Third, when was the last time you actually effected a change in your government? It's a really popular line to say, "If you don't like it, do something about it." But in my experience, it's also deeply hypocritical. For the most part, you can't change it. Additionally, if you were going to try to change it, the first step would be rallying support which would probably take the form of complaining about it. Thus, the do-something-about-it line is usually used as a way to stifle the people who are trying to do something about it because someone else doesn't care.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

Voting with you feet/money is also a popular rebuttal and probably more practical for most people. But the fact that it is more practical says more about the difficulty of getting any sort of results politically than it does about the ease of moving. If you live in an apartment, don't have too much stuff, and have the economic ability (including employment availability) to move, then moving is a major, difficult, and time-consuming decision. Otherwise, it's an essentially unnavigable, or at the very least extremely expensive, mire. Short range moves are perhaps easier, but they give you a lot less options for places where you can actually get a different system.

You'd think that a township that could raise property taxes 400% and get away with it wouldn't have a lot of renters, huh?

In terms of the justness of rates, I find it frustrating that you pay taxes for years without any real noticeable return and then the first time you want something from the government, you're writing a check for it. I understand where Gary is coming from talking about how it is a good deal, but in reality, the government isn't giving you something. You're paying protection money so the government will let you go on with your life. That is, the government created this hurdle and is now requiring to you pay so they will remove it for you. They aren't helping you overcome some natural hurdle inherent in the world. I've said it before, but it's really like the mafia.

I won't disagree with that either. However, once again, I'll point out that my comments above were in relation to a fiscally-responsible department of the federal government. If that means pay to play, I'm all for it. We all pay taxes but not everyone imports a bride. For those of us that do (and use an extra service) I have no problem with paying a little extra.

This is where the government originally went off course. You can't expect "everyone" to pay for "everything." Eventually (as was pointed out above) you run out of other peoples' money. But, if those same people would pay for what they used (and only what they used) then it could be done according to budget. While I realize that's a tall order for a system of such magnitude... well, maybe therein lies the problem. You balance the family budget, right? Why can't the governemnt balance their budget?

We recently had a primary here where Trey Grayson and Rand Paul were battling it out. Trey Grayson had an attack ad out there against Rand Paul because he wouldn't support passing measures that weren't balanced. "That's just not practical." Really? And passing unbalanced budgets is?

This is what we've been spoon-fed for the past.... oh, 100 years. We've eaten so much of it some folks have actually started to think that's what it's supposed to taste like. They don't even realize that it's wrong. - But I guess it's practical.

The fees for USCIS and what you get...A green card, the ability to work in the world's most prolific economy (even in bad times) and a quick path to citizenship for about the cost of a flat screen TV is the greatest financial bargain on earth

It shouldn't be about whether it's a good deal or not. It should be about "it costs this government agency $1000 to process a visa request so we'll charge the USC who uses this service $1000."

What triggered my reply is your comment. Your gladness about something that effects other people, not you.

The federal government balancing their budget through various agencies most certainly effects me. - And every other American for that matter. (The world too!)

I'm all for allowing only land-owners the ability to vote.

I strongly disagree with that. While I'm against a poll tax or anything similar, I do believe folks should forfeit their voting rights when they forfeit being a productive member of society. If you're on the dole... you don't vote.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.