onyx

affidavit letters a must??

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, when submitting I-751, are affidavit letters a must? if not included, is the risk of additional evidence request vey high? i will be filing to CA reginal office, please share your experience... please provide a sample template of the letter if you have one... thanks for helping!!!!!

Since that is one of the specific things that they ask for in the instruction section (before the I-751 application) as an example of "Evidence of a Relationship", I think it is absolutely necessary. Recently, someone on here posted that they received a letter requesting "additional evidence". After they listed everything they sent with the I-751, it became apparent that what they wanted were affadavits, because that is the only thing that was left out. You would be foolish not to go ahead and send them. They don't even have to be notarized.

There are templates in one of the pinned sections I think.

That said, several people on here have been approved without them. While they are specifically listed as examples of evidence (and the fact that such detailed instructions are given makes me think they want them), there's no way some people could provide everything in the example list. (For example, my husband and I don't have kids and don't want them. So obviously we won't be sending birth certificates.)

I'm going to send some if I find anyone to do them; the problem is that we've moved cross-country, so there's no one who's seen us regularly together over the course of our marriage.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

If it were absolutely required, it wouldn't be an example.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We sent two (notarized; I work with a notary public) affidavits with my I-751. I don't think that they would do you any harm. And it might give you more peace of mind to feel that you've done everything you thought you could.

Edited by PrincessDot

10-11-2002 - Married on K-1 visa

06-29-2006 - 10-year GC rec'd

Still married and going strong!

Everything I say is based on my own experience and opinions alone.

I am not a lawyer and nothing here is to be interpreted as legal advice.

Timeline

They are not required and are considered a rather weak form of evidence. I you have three or four examples of strong forms of evidence (tax return, deed, property tax bills, leases, wills, beneficiaries on each other accounts and insurance, bank records, etc.), I would think that the affidavits would be superfluous...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Hi, when submitting I-751, are affidavit letters a must? if not included, is the risk of additional evidence request vey high? i will be filing to CA reginal office, please share your experience... please provide a sample template of the letter if you have one... thanks for helping!!!!!

HI!

I think its a necessary thing to present if you want your case to be moved forward sooner and just in general fro not to have any complications. Well, you might be approved without them as someone said here before ., but your case might not gonna be reviewed sooner or something....., but who knows..

Even if you go to the www.uscis.gov under the I-751 petition., you may notice that the Affidavits are the one of the evidential request from the USCIS.

If i were you i would submit at least one or couple.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

onyx,

Affidavits are not 'a must', but they may be useful if you've got nothing else. Do a Google search of the Usenet newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based for posts on the subject by folinskyinla.

'Sample' letters will be of no value to you, and may even be detrimental, unless you are lucky enough to find a sample from someone whose circumstances match your own. Submitting letters that do not match the facts of your situation could lead to some difficult interview questioning.

Yodrak

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI!

I think its a necessary thing to present if you want your case to be moved forward sooner and just in general fro not to have any complications. Well, you might be approved without them as someone said here before ., but your case might not gonna be reviewed sooner or something....., but who knows..

Even if you go to the www.uscis.gov under the I-751 petition., you may notice that the Affidavits are the one of the evidential request from the USCIS.

If i were you i would submit at least one or couple.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

The affidavits are *not* required evidence. It is not a "maybe" that a case without affidavits will be approved; there are thousands of cases posted online (my own included) telling of approvals without the affidavits. Further, it does not affect the processing timeline of the I-751 if affidavits are not included.

The form instructions clearly show that affidavits are an *example* of evidence, not a requirement.

Evidence of the Relationship.

Submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted conditional status was entered in ''good faith'' and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. Submit copies of as many documents as you wish to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship, if it has ended. The documents should cover the period from the date of your marriage to the filing of this petition. Examples of such documents are:

Many people do not feel comfortable asking their friends/family for this type of document and those people should not feel that their case is "less than" if there are no affidavits included.

It's fine to have the personal opinion that they are important, but not to present your opinions as fact. The fact is that plenty of approvals happen without affidavits.

A sample letter is posted here: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-751_support.doc but as noted, a generic letter could raise more questions than it answers.

Review the posted evidence examples from successful I-751s; you likely have lots of evidence of a shared marital life.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

The affidavits we sent were very specific and contained a lot of examples of how well our friends knew us, including dates.

I agree that a very general letter is problematic. If you're going to send in affidavits, they should be really well-written ones. And no, they're not absolutely required. We sent in tons of other evidence along with the affidavits as well.

Edited by PrincessDot

10-11-2002 - Married on K-1 visa

06-29-2006 - 10-year GC rec'd

Still married and going strong!

Everything I say is based on my own experience and opinions alone.

I am not a lawyer and nothing here is to be interpreted as legal advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It also says that "Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit." So, if you do decide to use affidavits, it should be people who wouldn't mind getting called in for a few questions in the off-chance that they may be required to testify.

7/12/04 - mailed I-485 (AOS) and I-765 (EAD)

7/13/04 - AOS package arrived at NYC District Office

7/22/04 - NOA1 (AOS)

7/22/04 - NOA1 (EAD)

7/26/04 - received both NOAs in the mail

7/28/04 - Fingerprinting and biometrics appointment

8/02/04 - Fingerprint results received by USCIS

8/23/04 - Received AOS interview appointment

10/7/04 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

10/15/04 - E-mail from USCIS stating AOS approved

10/18/04 - Hubby receives green card in the mail

Our Baby's Birthday

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.