KittyPollitt

For Morocco K1 filers who are considering staying with their SO's during the wait

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I decided when I filed that I was going to stay here in Morocco with my fiance while we wait for his visa.. I knew it might be difficult to get residency, so it was my plan to go to one of the autonomous Spanish cities in the north of Morocco to get exit stamped after 90 days, and then come back in. When I asked people about it, they made it sound like it's no big deal and people do it all the time.. Not so.

The Moroccan government is really particular about who they let stay here. I had no trouble getting into Ceuta in the north, the Spanish authorities are lovely.. But I had to do it by myself, despite the herd of Moroccans entering the Spanish city to buy cheap goods and return to sell them, my fiance was not permitted across the border with me, because he is not from the north and "had no reason" to go with me. So, I entered Spain and turned around to go right back into Morocco, and was met by some serious scrutiny. In the pouring rain, with a baby stroller, I was passed from one office window to another, until I finally sweet talked a supervisor into letting me back into Morocco.

Anyway, I'm saying all this to let other people potentially in my situation know, it's damn near impossible to stay here longer than 6 months under any circumstances without a residency card, and they just won't give you one unless you're married to a Moroccan or have a job here, or are independently wealthy and can prove it. I guess, since their independence, the Moroccan government is very wary of people from wealthier countries coming in and potentially buying off the countryside, so they just don't let people stay here. Unless I can bribe an official at the police office, I am going to have to leave here in August, with or without my fiance, because I'm in the computer now, and they WILL deport me.

Hope this experience can help some people make their decisions about staying long term in Morocco..

Paix, ya'll

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow that sucks squeeky...how scary! Is it very difficult to get a residency card?

I'm pretty sure you had problems because you entered and turned around to go back in. If you had stayed longer, 1-2 days, or planned to do it not right at the end of 3 months it may have looked a lot less suspicious. If you want to stay you might consider getting married there and doing DCF.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm pretty sure you had problems because you entered and turned around to go back in. If you had stayed longer, 1-2 days, or planned to do it not right at the end of 3 months it may have looked a lot less suspicious. If you want to stay you might consider getting married there and doing DCF.

You're probably right, but circumstances did not allow it.. we were traveling with our 6 month old and they refused him entry.. we couldn't afford to get hotel rooms on both sides of the border.. Looking back it probably would have been better for me to fly to Madrid for a few days, but hindsight is 20/20. I truly wish we could just marry here and file DCF, but now we're working with a Moroccan income as opposed to my American one, and after diapers and formula, we have just enough to save for consulate fees and medical fees... :wacko:

I just wanted to share this with people because when I asked about crossing the border here on VJ, people made it seem like it was no big deal.. When indeed, it can be.. If you're going in alone, you better speak some Spanish, French or darija, or you're at their mercy..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.