Obama 2012

Montreal Streets Turn Violent After Hockey Win...

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/05/13/montreal-habs-post-game-riot.html

A small group of troublemakers is responsible for escalating violence that hijacked a boisterous Montreal street party after the Canadiens' playoff win against the Penguins on Wednesday night, police say.

Montreal police estimate only a few hundred people turned violent among the thousands of revellers who took to the streets after Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. Authorities arrested 32 people in total, said police assistant director Sylvain Brouillette.

Thousands of hooting and hollering Habs fans spilled out onto Ste-Catherine Street moments after the game ended in Pittsburgh, home of the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Most of them gathered in a "festive zone" police set up just north of the Bell Centre, where "people were calm and were having fun," said Brouillette at a news conference Thursday morning.

As the night progressed the mood changed along Ste-Catherine Street where police estimate "a few hundred people" chose violence over fun, he said. "They attacked our police officers and bottles were thrown at our officers," injuring one policewoman and a horse.

Looters smashed a few storefront windows including a Foot Locker retailer.

That's when police decided to evacuate the street, Brouillette said.

"We want people to celebrate, but these were criminal acts."

Police said they felt adequately prepared before Wednesday night's game, and would consider closing Ste-Catherine Street again for the Eastern Conference final series against either Philadelphia or Boston.

"I have to congratulate our officers for not reacting" and being patient as they faced the violent outburst, Brouillette added.

mtl-habs-cp-0513.jpg

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Now, what is it that you find so odd about this? (Referring to your little comment in the title)

It's a universal aspect of sport.... you riot downtown after your team wins. Usually, it's when you win a championship, but seeing as Montreal hasn't won anything in 17 years, I'm sure they're extatic.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Go Habs!

Montreal_Canadiens.jpg

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Now, what is it that you find so odd about this? (Referring to your little comment in the title)

It's a universal aspect of sport.... you riot downtown after your team wins. Usually, it's when you win a championship, but seeing as Montreal hasn't won anything in 17 years, I'm sure they're extatic.

I was wondering what was "odd" as well. Having lived around OSU's campus for 8 years, I had the opportunity to witness many riots...heck, OSU's ex-president said publicly that the students liked to riot. Also, Being a lifelong WVU fan, I've seen my fair share of rioting (and couch burning :whistle: ). It's not a GOOD idea, of course, but it happens alllll over the place.

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Timeline

might be an aspect, doesn't mean it's not odd or stupid for that matter.....

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Stupid, yes, but not odd by any stretch of the imagination. When something happens frequently in sports worldwide, that pretty much eliminates it from being odd.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not the first city to do & won't be the last.

What I can't seem to understand, is...why riot when your team wins? I would think to do it if the team lost.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not the first city to do & won't be the last.

What I can't seem to understand, is...why riot when your team wins? I would think to do it if the team lost.

Because they are idiots?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

There has always been the 'idiot' element among sports fans. Best way to deal with it is contain it it seems.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

It's amazing that you come up with the most bizarre take on the commonplace and then try to backpedal as fast as possible when confronted. Odd? I'm sure that there is no rioting or craziness when the Cowboys win in Dallas, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. Stupid, of course it is, but that's never stopped anyone from rioting or posting on VJ before. Van, I seem to recall is from Toronto. The Raps choke, the Blue Jays get murdered by the Red Sox and then there's the Maple Laffs. They haven't won anything since 1967 but the fans are so blind that when Conan O'Brien came to town they just chanted moronically, "Go Leafs Go." The Leafs haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years, but that's OK. They haven't even won the Stanley Cup since 1967 nevertheless the ACC is always sold out, that that's OK. The Habs fans are odd, riiiiiiiight.

OMT,

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

It's amazing that you come up with the most bizarre take on the commonplace and then try to backpedal as fast as possible when confronted. Odd? I'm sure that there is no rioting or craziness when the Cowboys win in Dallas, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. Stupid, of course it is, but that's never stopped anyone from rioting or posting on VJ before. Van, I seem to recall is from Toronto. The Raps choke, the Blue Jays get murdered by the Red Sox and then there's the Maple Laffs. They haven't won anything since 1967 but the fans are so blind that when Conan O'Brien came to town they just chanted moronically, "Go Leafs Go." The Leafs haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years, but that's OK. They haven't even won the Stanley Cup since 1967 nevertheless the ACC is always sold out, that that's OK. The Habs fans are odd, riiiiiiiight.

OMT,

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

So because I find being violent over winning to be an oddity that makes my take bizarre? Ok......

When people are burning things, causing fights, damaging cars, I do find that odd.

There's a difference in supporting your team (as many cities do even during bad seasons...) and acting like a bunch of lunatics.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Leafs haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years, but that's OK. They haven't even won the Stanley Cup since 1967 nevertheless the ACC is always sold out, that that's OK.

Thats the joke of the century...all the money Toronto has & they still have a sh!t team....year after year.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

So because I find being violent over winning to be an oddity that makes my take bizarre? Ok......

When people are burning things, causing fights, damaging cars, I do find that odd.

There's a difference in supporting your team (as many cities do even during bad seasons...) and acting like a bunch of lunatics.

It is not odd, that's the point that everyone has been making. Stupid, juvenile, absolutely, but it is not odd. Commonplace (everyone isn't doing it, just a few nuts and troublemakers), but not it is not an oddity. I wish it was but it is what it is. You might have tried to proffer the argument that something that should be a joyous occasion is celebrated by a few miscreants in terms of destruction and violence. That would have expressed your point much more clearly. The title of the thread referred to the people of Montreal, not all cities, as if Montreal has exclusive dominion over such aberrant, reprehensible behaviour, it most certainly does not.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Paul's a bit of a girl when it comes to sports fans as well. Not the sort of thing one expects from someone who advocated dueling to solve personal disputes.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .