one...two...tree

Working overtime: Good for the wallet, but bad for the heart

44 posts in this topic

The ROI on taking care of one's staff is not well understood in too many places in this country.

I really don't know why this is difficult for employers to understand. It seems to me like happy employees would be better, more productive employees. It's a win win for everyone, at least it seems to be. So why do so many employers want essentially free labor, but cry piteously when they get what they pay for?

I wanna work for someone like you. :crying: Someday. If I ever do become an employer, I will be a good one.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Timeline
:lol: i am surrounded by wall street types out here. they're my friends, my cousins, my neighbors and half the people i work with today have "done time" on the street in the last decade. yeah, i don't take it too seriously either. they're legends in their own minds but nowhere else.

Exactly. Look, if an extra hour at work would gross me 10K, I'd be there. You better believe it. That's not the reality for most of the workforce, however. And that is what our trader friends fail to recognize. Some of them are such arrogant shits it's unbelievable. Not sure how they look in the mirror in the morning w/o violently puking all over themselves. I do like the "done time" on the street. :lol:

I do like the "done time" on the street. :lol:

That's how they describe it. For everyone I know who has worked on the Street, the story is the same - "I made a ѕhitload of money but thank God I'm out, it's nice having time."

relax, NOT YOU.

I know. So spell it out. Let's get a conversation going, instead of whistling at each other.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

That's how they describe it. For everyone I know who has worked on the Street, the story is the same - "I made a ѕhitload of money but thank God I'm out, it's nice having time."

I don't doubt it. It's what they say about GS - they pay you well but they effectively own your ####### while you're there.

I don't doubt it. It's what they say about GS - they pay you well but they effectively own your ####### while you're there.

Yeap. I have a story along those lines. A good friend of mine, we graduated together from the same university and ended up working for the same employer in 2004. Later that year our employer made a deal where our positions were outsourced to a third party vendor. I thought it might be a good opportunity to move up in the ITO world and stuck around. He decided to bail and ended up on the Street, working for one of the major banks. Today, 5 years later, we are both back at that same employer. I wasted two years (05 and 06) getting sub-2% raises but learned a lot about the ITO industry. He spent those two years on the Street and made enough cash in bonuses alone to put a downpayment on a very nice house. My wife asks me, so what did all that ITO expertise get you? Umm... you had just arrived from India in 2005 and I spent time with you and taught you how to drive on the Parkway, remember? I wouldn't have had time had I been on the Street. So was it worth it? I don't know.

So was it worth it? I don't know.

Did you enjoy having the time to spend with your wife? If the answer is yes, then I'd say it was worth it. Money is nice to have but there times in one's life that you can't buy back. Ever since my daughter was born, I wouldn't trade time for money. She only grows up once, you know.

Did you enjoy having the time to spend with your wife? If the answer is yes, then I'd say it was worth it. Money is nice to have but there times in one's life that you can't buy back. Ever since my daughter was born, I wouldn't trade time for money. She only grows up once, you know.

Yeah. true.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Yeap. I have a story along those lines. A good friend of mine, we graduated together from the same university and ended up working for the same employer in 2004. Later that year our employer made a deal where our positions were outsourced to a third party vendor. I thought it might be a good opportunity to move up in the ITO world and stuck around. He decided to bail and ended up on the Street, working for one of the major banks. Today, 5 years later, we are both back at that same employer. I wasted two years (05 and 06) getting sub-2% raises but learned a lot about the ITO industry. He spent those two years on the Street and made enough cash in bonuses alone to put a downpayment on a very nice house. My wife asks me, so what did all that ITO expertise get you? Umm... you had just arrived from India in 2005 and I spent time with you and taught you how to drive on the Parkway, remember? I wouldn't have had time had I been on the Street. So was it worth it? I don't know.

:lol:

Sorry I don't have much value to add to this thread, but wanted to laugh at the bolded part.

If I do try to stay on topic, it's nice that my husband got a job only 9 miles away after Kavi was born instead of the 40+ miles(to downtown Tampa), so much better. He doesn't get overtime pay either. But so far this job seems pretty good about family issues.

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Definitely a different work ethic here. I think you will find in countries like the UK or AUS, people work to live. You go to work and by Wed are planing your weekend or your next holiday. Whereas, I know a lot of people here who have no life outside work and seriously live to work. It consumes them and makes them feel something.... Don't know what it is, as I couldn't care less to find out. It's also why we I miss the four week vacation in AUS.

While the pay is great, I honestly cannot wait to work back in AUS again. The fringe benefits I received there are second to none. For example, a car and fuel card was part of your salary package. Very easy going work environment. Over here I feel I will be billed if I take 20 minutes off.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.