Heracles

Toyota swings to profit despite recall woes

14 posts in this topic

Toyota swings to profit despite recall woes

By the CNN Wire StaffMay 11, 2010: 11:14 AM ET

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- Toyota returned to profit for the fiscal year ending in March, despite the continuing economic downturn and a series of recalls that rattled consumer confidence in the United States, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.

Toyota reported an annual profit of ¥209 billion ($2.2 billion) over the last year, the company said at a news conference. That figure compares to a loss of ¥437 billion for fiscal year 2008.

This is "still in a tough storm, but we are starting to see some sun on the horizon," Toyota President Akio Toyoda said, noting the challenge his company has faced in the wake of a continuing economic downturn and the recall of some 10 million of its cars.

Net revenues for the fiscal year decreased of 7.7% compared to 2009, while operating revenue for the year recovered from a loss of ¥461 billion to a profit of ¥147.5 billion, the company announced. Cost-cutting measures helped make Toyota profitable.

Vehicle sales for the fiscal year totaled 7.24 million units, a decrease of 330,000 units from the preceding fiscal year, Toyota said. Sales were up by 218,00 vehicles in Japan and another 74,000 units across the rest of Asia.

The story was different in the United States and Europe, where sales fell by 114,000 and 204,000 units.

Toyota cars and trucks have been the subject of at least three separate major recalls in the past year.

One was for the "sticky pedal" situation in which gas pedals, as they age, begin to stick in a partially depressed position. Another was for gas pedals that can stick on some floor mats, and a third was for braking problems on Toyota Prius hybrid cars.

In April, Toyota indicated to the U.S. government it would pay a $16.4 million fine -- the largest ever against an automaker -- for failing to notify the Department of Transportation of the "sticky pedal" defect for at least four months.

Despite the problems, Toyota announced in late April that production soared more than 80% in March compared to year-ago levels.

Toyota on Tuesday predicted sales growth across the board for 2011, pinning its hopes on green cars and the emerging markets like India and China.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/11/news/companies/toyota_earnings.cnnw/index.htm

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Sorry spook. They'll try worse next time round to help out your buds.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Yay, go Toyota!

The plant my dad works for had to hire 600+ more people a few months ago for an overnight shift because they cant make enough Rav4s.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

It says something than even after a recall on that scale, people still trust them more than US auto manufacturers.

I read an interesting article about the legacy US auto unions the other day. How people used to sabotage the cars during production, to get back at management. Karma is a ###### is it not.

Edited by Booyah!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Recall aside, Toyota has some stiff competition on the horizon. Kia is undercutting Toyota on price in the economy non-hybrid category in addition to providing more standard features & a longer warranty. Also, Kia's new Forte has received some pretty impressive reviews both from professionals and customers. Kia was originally known for making lower-quality cars, compared to Toyota, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They also snagged a designer from Audi.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Recall aside, Toyota has some stiff competition on the horizon. Kia is undercutting Toyota on price in the economy non-hybrid category in addition to providing more standard features & a longer warranty. Also, Kia's new Forte has received some pretty impressive reviews both from professionals and customers. Kia was originally known for making lower-quality cars, compared to Toyota, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They also snagged a designer from Audi.

If anyone is going to challenge Toyota it will be Hyundai. They are building some decent cars now.

What the hell ever happens to Mitsubishi who used to beat Toyota?

Filed: Timeline

If anyone is going to challenge Toyota it will be Hyundai.

We own one of each and frankly, next time it's time to buy, I will be torn. I am very happy with both cars.

Before this, I had a Honda which was a POS.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

We own one of each and frankly, next time it's time to buy, I will be torn. I am very happy with both cars.

Before this, I had a Honda which was a POS.

Dude do you want Spook to have a breakdown? Keep stuff like that on the Dl..

I am surprised. While I am not a fan of Honda's style, they do build some excellent and reliable vehicles. Safety is an important deciding factor for me though.

Filed: Timeline

I am surprised. While I am not a fan of Honda's style, they do build some excellent and reliable vehicles. Safety is an important deciding factor for me though.

They do. My Honda was ####### though. Just bad luck I assume.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.