mizhael smith

pre-booking plane ticket one week after the interview

23 posts in this topic

has anyone recently bought there plane ticket one week after the scheduled interview date?

my wife really wants me to accompany her to her interview, but i have a limited time off work. it looks like some people in the past used the plane tickets as reason to be able to pick up the visa at the embassy.

has this worked for anyone recently?

please let us know.

mike.

God Thank you for the love we've found

As far as I know, your wife doesn't need a reason in order to pick up her visa at the Embassy. At the end of her interview, she simply needs to tell the consul officer that she wants to pick up her visa at the Embassy. The consul officer will accommodate her request.

Don't let her forget the CFO sticker. She will need it to leave the Philippines.

Good luck! :star:

As far as I know, your wife doesn't need a reason in order to pick up her visa at the Embassy. At the end of her interview, she simply needs to tell the consul officer that she wants to pick up her visa at the Embassy. The consul officer will accommodate her request.

Don't let her forget the CFO sticker. She will need it to leave the Philippines.

Good luck! :star:

Did they give your wife a date to return ? My husband will accompany me to my interview and we will be staying in a hotel near the embassy so we would like to also pick up the visa if possible.

I have been away from VJ for a few months and things may have changed.

But in the past it was up to the CO if they would let you pick up the Visa. I know last year they were not letting you pick up your visa delivery only. But a couple of years ago you could pick it up if you requested.

I don't think having a flight prebooked would sway a CO decision, You can prebook it thru PAL and if you need to change flight dates it's a very small charge and easy to do

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Manila Embassy seems to be hit or miss on allowing Visa pick-up. I've seen a few members report success with the request but haven't noticed a discernible pattern.

In most cases you should probably have your Visa in hand by 1 week after the interview but there are reasons why the Embassy tells you specifically to not book your flight until after you actually have the Visa in hand. Even if they try to accommodate your schedule something silly, stupid or uncontrolled could happen that delays your Visa issuance.

My wife was on the plane 12 hours after she had her Visa in hand because I was able to buy her tickets for what was the following day on the calendar (Locally but not in Manila due to the time difference) that close to the flight using Expedia.com

Did they give your wife a date to return ? My husband will accompany me to my interview and we will be staying in a hotel near the embassy so we would like to also pick up the visa if possible.

I have not paid much attention to the details of picking up a visa at the Embassy. Maybe you should start a new topic, so that VJers who have experience can chime in. My guess is that the Embassy either gives you a pick-up date, or they call you when your visa is ready.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My friend used that exact reason at the PI Embassy and his request to pick up the Visa was denied. The CO said that is not an emergency. It arrived 4 days later so he was still able to bring his fiance back. But if you make definite plans, just be aware it may backfire.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't buy the ticket until the visa is in the hand. Period.

They will tell you it says that on her paperwork if you try to use that for a reason to try to get it rushed or expedited.

At any moment they can find an issue and hold/ delay it, missing signature on a form, wrong spelling on a name on a form, etc.

Ours was over 10 days (13 I think?) interview to visa delivery, without any problems or holds.

Edited by DainandVicky

K1:

Began chatting online 1-2-09, Met in Philippines 9-5 to 9-15-09, Mailed I-129F 9-17-09, I-129F delivered by USPS 9-21-09, Check cashed 9-21-09, NOA1 issued 9-21-09, NOA1 paper copy received 9-28-09, NOA2 issued 12-18-09, NVC received date 12-24-09, NOA2 paper copy received 12-28-09, NVC sent date 12-29-09, Embassy received date 01-05-10, Medical 01-07-10 & 01-11-10 approved/ passed, Interview date 01-14-10 APPROVED! MY HONEY'S COMING!, Visa delivered 1-27-10 Manila time, Arrival in U.S. 2-4-10 POE Minneapolis/ St. Paul

Married! 2-14-10 in Las Vegas

AOS:

Applied for SSN 2-17-10 Received SSN and Cert. Marriage Cert. 3-2-10

Mailed AOS packet 3-3-10

AOS paperwork confirmed delivered 3-4-10

Email/ text notification of NOA1s 3-12-10

*touch* 3-15-10 AOS & EAD

Paper copy NOA1s received 3-16-10

*touch* 3-17-10 AOS & EAD

Received biometrics appointment letter 3-20-10, appointment set for 4-12-10

Case transferred to CSC 3-31-10!! Yay!!

Received email notice 4-6-10 I-485 received at CSC

Biometrics done 4-12-10, Milwaukee, WI ASC

Vicky got her driving permit, 4-12-10

*touch* 4-13-10 AOS & EAD

*touch* 4-21-10 AOS only

*touch* 4-22-10 AOS only

EAD card production ordered 5-14-10.

*touch* 5-17-10 EAD only

EAD card production ordered 5-19-10 (again?)

Received "Welcome to USA" letter 5-25-10, permanent resident application approved!

EAD card received 5-29-10

Greencard received 6-11-10

Positive pregnancy test 6-12-10

My friend used that exact reason at the PI Embassy and his request to pick up the Visa was denied. The CO said that is not an emergency. It arrived 4 days later so he was still able to bring his fiance back. But if you make definite plans, just be aware it may backfire.

Thanks for your input. This is the first time I have heard of anyone being denied a visa pick-up at the USEM. I wonder if anyone else had the same experience.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Thanks for your input. This is the first time I have heard of anyone being denied a visa pick-up at the USEM. I wonder if anyone else had the same experience.

My wife requested pick-up and was denied. Her reason presented was that she wanted to get our deaf 2 year old son to the US to begin medical & therapy treatment as soon as possible.

My wife requested pick-up and was denied. Her reason presented was that she wanted to get our deaf 2 year old son to the US to begin medical & therapy treatment as soon as possible.

Just :wow: . That sounds like a good reason to me!

Thanks for your input, Bob.

Now I'm left wondering about those who picked up their visa at the USEM. What reason did you give to the consul officer so that you were allowed to pick up your visa at the USEM?

It is totally up to your CO whether you can pick up the visa or not. I think having the petitioner present increases your odds greatly though.

I attended my fiancee's interview and we picked up the visa 2 days after the interview. I just asked - didn't really give a reason (but we did already have our flight booked for about 10 day later).

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

It is totally up to your CO whether you can pick up the visa or not. I think having the petitioner present increases your odds greatly though.

I attended my fiancee's interview and we picked up the visa 2 days after the interview. I just asked - didn't really give a reason (but we did already have our flight booked for about 10 day later).

Thanks for your input, Matt. I wonder what criteria the consul officers use to determine whether or not they will allow an Embassy pick-up. This seems to be a murky subject. Maybe someone with an upcoming interview would be so kind as to ask their consul officer and report the results here on VJ.

Best advice is NOT to book any return flights until she has her visa in hand as others ahve suggested here. I waited until my fiance had her visa in hand and purchesed the flights at that time. It took 5 days for her to receive the visa and she lived in Mindanao. She did not request to pick up the visa.

Best advice is NOT to book any return flights until she has her visa in hand as others have suggested here. I waited until my fiancée had her visa in hand and purchased the flights at that time. It took 5 days for her to receive the visa and she lived in Mindanao. She did not request to pick up the visa.

That is my best advice too.

Maybe the original poster can spend more time in the Philippines in order to attend his fiancée's interview, and to either pick up her visa or wait for it at her home.

The return flight might be more expensive since they would be buying the tickets on short notice...but it would be worth it if they could fly to the States together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.