kittybear

No NOA1 a month after submitting ROC

19 posts in this topic

Here's our story short:

We submitted a ROC for myself 04/06/2010. It was certified, so according to the tracking, it was received 04/09/2010. We sent them a cashier's check, which was (I don't know what they do with cashiers checks) but it was taken/cashed/whatever a week or so from then. After that, we've heard nothing, and I'm getting worried.

Could someone please, help me out with info on what we should do next?

a) Does it mean the application is in trouble?

b) Could it have gone to an address they had on file back in AOS days, or do they send it to the address on the current form?

c) I don't have a case#, since we haven't got the NOA1 yet, but is it worth calling USCIS?

d) Should I make an Infopass appointment?

Any help is appreciated!

That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Have you checked the April filers thread in this forum to see if you're lagging behind others who filed around the same time as you? That's really the only way to know whether or not you're experiencing something outside the norm.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/250565-april-i-751-filers/

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This happened to quite a few Vermont filers back in January when we filed. :) It didn't have any bearing on the case at all. Our only problem with it was that the NOA1 is what gives the extension to the green card while the case is processing, so we made an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp so we could travel out of the country without having to worry about an expired green card.

Have you checked the April filers thread in this forum to see if you're lagging behind others who filed around the same time as you? That's really the only way to know whether or not you're experiencing something outside the norm.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/250565-april-i-751-filers/

I tried asking this question in that thread first :) That's what alerted me to it; everyone else seemed to get it in a few days!

This happened to quite a few Vermont filers back in January when we filed. :) It didn't have any bearing on the case at all. Our only problem with it was that the NOA1 is what gives the extension to the green card while the case is processing, so we made an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp so we could travel out of the country without having to worry about an expired green card.

I'm actually filing to Vermont too... And that is also our problem. We're planning on a summer trip, but without the extension, we (I) can't go anywhere.

I'd just want to know that they haven't lost the application or something, but I guess there's no way of making sure of that?

I'll go in and check the Janaury filers thread.

Thank you for the answers! :)

I guess so also you are right !

K-I

129-F VSC 05/31/07

NO1  06/4/07

NO2  11/ 5/07

Interview  01/ 4/08

Visa Recieve  01/11/08

POE DI to ROC 01/15/08

AOS

Packet sent IL. 04/11/09

Bio. Appoint. 05/ 12/08

Card Production 7/17/08

Green Card recieve 07/ 24/08

REMOVING OF CONDITION

Sent packet VSC 4/19/10

NOA Recieve 5/01/10

Biometric 05/28/10

Card production 7/1/10

10 years greencard 7/12/10

N-400 Time Line June 2011

I tried asking this question in that thread first :) That's what alerted me to it; everyone else seemed to get it in a few days!

Oh sorry - I didn't realize.

Never mind!! :blush:

SA4userbar.jpg

Update: I logged into my USCIS account online, and noticed that they had touched the Employment Application on 04/18/2010, which means either they have the current application, or were just going through old stuff, wondering why we haven't submitted the ROC yet, and if they should start deportation procedures :blink: (I don't seriously believe I'd be deported for just that :))

Oh sorry - I didn't realize.

Never mind!! :blush:

That's ok, how could you know when I didn't volunteer that information. :)

Update: I logged into my USCIS account online, and noticed that they had touched the Employment Application on 04/18/2010, which means either they have the current application, or were just going through old stuff, wondering why we haven't submitted the ROC yet, and if they should start deportation procedures :blink: (I don't seriously believe I'd be deported for just that :))

I highly doubt they have deportation procedure started on your file. You stated that they cashed the cashier's check so you are good to go. You can schedule an infopass and get your passport stamped with I-551 that is equivalent to the extension letter. Not sure if you call USCIS without a receipt number will be of any use or help.

Most probably your EAD application was touched due to either they are sending out a biometrics letter or a random act of "organization". Many people have reported their EAD being touched during ROC so it is quite normal.

Maybe try to call USCIS (and I apologize in advance for such as suggestion) then schedule an infopass if that was not helpful. You can always cancel infopass appointments.

hope this helps

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

v333k: Thank you for the reply. It does make me breathe easier, when you said if they cashed the check, they should have the paperwork and keep it too. I'm going to wait for any action from them, maybe they go straight to the biometrics letter. That's what seemed to happen to some ppl from January filers.

If it still drags on, I might make the infopass appt. Especially with the summer trip coming up. I understand that even with a case #, USCIS aren't the most helpful people to call to... I don't think they would bother much.

Here's our story short:

We submitted a ROC for myself 04/06/2010. It was certified, so according to the tracking, it was received 04/09/2010. We sent them a cashier's check, which was (I don't know what they do with cashiers checks) but it was taken/cashed/whatever a week or so from then. After that, we've heard nothing, and I'm getting worried.

Could someone please, help me out with info on what we should do next?

a) Does it mean the application is in trouble?

b) Could it have gone to an address they had on file back in AOS days, or do they send it to the address on the current form?

c) I don't have a case#, since we haven't got the NOA1 yet, but is it worth calling USCIS?

d) Should I make an Infopass appointment?

Any help is appreciated!

I have spoken to USCIS about that because I needed the extension letter for my employer my GC was gonna expire very soon. The representative told me that as soon as they cash your check they assign a number for your NOA extension letter and she also said that they send receipt notices in 10 days from the date they receive the petition. They cashed the check 4 days after they received I-751 and when I open my account I saw the check image with my NOA number and the date but It was a very bad hand write so I couldn't see the actual number. On 03/13 I got the NOA extension letter so very fast for 7 days from the date of sending it. Some people have reported here that they have received biometrics only and their cases go perfectly fine but you can still call them and make sure you receive it on time.

Edited by VSCfiler

I have spoken to USCIS about that because I needed the extension letter for my employer my GC was gonna expire very soon. The representative told me that as soon as they cash your check they assign a number for your NOA extension letter and she also said that they send receipt notices in 10 days from the date they receive the petition. They cashed the check 4 days after they received I-751 and when I open my account I saw the check image with my NOA number and the date but It was a very bad hand write so I couldn't see the actual number. On 03/13 I got the NOA extension letter so very fast for 7 days from the date of sending it. Some people have reported here that they have received biometrics only and their cases go perfectly fine but you can still call them and make sure you receive it on time.

Thank you for calming my nerves! That's an excellent idea, we can ask the bank for a picture of the check. Being a cashiers check tho, I don't know if they have it. (We haven't used checks in my country since the 70s or so, so I don't really know how they work.)Then again, if the writing was illegible anyway...

They were really helpful to you in USCIS!!! Lucky you!

Thank you for calming my nerves! That's an excellent idea, we can ask the bank for a picture of the check. Being a cashiers check tho, I don't know if they have it. (We haven't used checks in my country since the 70s or so, so I don't really know how they work.)Then again, if the writing was illegible anyway...

They were really helpful to you in USCIS!!! Lucky you!

To save you a trip - if you do online banking, most banks offer check image once the check is cleared and returned to the bank. You can do this from the comfort of your home.

I think if you go to the bank and request a copy of the image, they might charge you for it... but it differs at different banks!

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

However the case number on the check may not actually be your case number. From my AOS and ROC the case numbers on the checks have never worked, and the NOA's always had a different case number on it.

06/27/11 - Mailed N-400 Naturalization

06/28/11 - NOA Priority Date

08/10/11 - Biometrics (Early FP 07/21/11)

08/01/11 - In Line for Interview Scheduling

08/11/11 - Got Email the interview is scheduled

08/15/11 - Received interview letter for September 19th

08/15/11 - Received interview cancellation letter

10/14/11 - Received new interview letter

11/17/11 - N400 interview - PASSED!!!

11/29/11 - In Line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

12/30/11 - Got email that oath ceremony is scheduled

01/27/12 - Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!!

04/30/10 - Mailed I-751 ROC

05/11/10 - Received NOA (dated 05/03/10)

06/11/10 - Biometrics

07/13/10 - Card Production Ordered

07/22/10 - 10 year Green Card Received in the mail

07/27/07 - I-130 & I-485 Sent to Chicago Lock Box

09/04/07 - Received NOA1 for both I-130 & I-485 (Notice Date of 31st August)

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

04/21/08 - Received I-130 Approval Notice

05/09/08 - I-485 Approved (Email - Welcome Notice mailed)

05/20/08 - PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD ARRIVED IN THE MAIL

Thank you for your points! I guess I'll just wait for the Biometrics letter next, and at some point make an infopass appt. just so I can go visit my folks this summer. I understand you would need the NOA1 to show the extension to your green card, Biometrics letter deosn't cut it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.