Having Issues

Interview Completed but No Visa Issued Yet- Confused

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife had her CR-1 visa interview appointment in New Delhi today. She brought along all required documentation, support papers, etc. The interviewer asked several questions about our marriage and checked the I-864, and said that both of those were okay. She said she is confident that our marriage is legitimate....

BUT

She then turned the focus of the interview to my previous marriage. I was married in Dec 2003,to an Indian who then immigrated to the U.S. We were divorced in 2008, when she was already a U.S. citizen. The interviewer asked my wife if she was aware I was married before. She said yes. The interviewer asked why my first marriage had failed, my wife answered as she best could. Then the interviewer asked if I had any children from that marriage. My wife answered no. The interviewer asked again, "Are you sure?"

The interview ended with them telling my wife that they need to do a further inquiry on my previous marriage, I had provided the Decree of Divorce at the time we filed the petition in New Delhi.

My wife was told that we will receive a letter in the mail in a few days explaining more. Her passport was returned to her.

Does anyone have any experience with these "further inquiries?" How long do they normally take? My wife is already almost 6 months pregnant, and I was really hoping she wouldn't have to travel to the U.S. so late into her pregnancy. Thought we were in the clear....

THANKs in advance for any information/feedback you offer me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Additional checks of any sort can drag on. Your wife may not get her visa until after the baby is born or so late they will not let her fly. You didn't say how long ago you got divorced but if it was recent they may just be checking out if you are running a marriage business. A few rotten eggs spoil things for legitimate people and a short time between immigrant marriage 1 and immigrant marriage 2 raises red flags

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.